Turn on thread page Beta

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Probablly best if you post in a new thread
    (I think it is going to be a long one).
    i)Sorry what subjects are you proposing applying to at each uni?
    ii)What subjects did you take to A2?
    iii)What subjects did you take to AS?
    iv)What unis did you apply to in 08/09 and what responses did you get?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post20989949

ReputationRep:
    Heya Paul, I've just received my As level grades: Psychology (B), Economics (B), Maths (C).
    I'll be predicted AAB but realistically I think I can achieve ABB. Here are my 5 Uni choices:

Royal Holloway
    Surrey
    Queen Mary
    City
    Brunel

Do you reckon this is a nice set given my grades? Am I over/underapplying? I would highly appreciate any advice you can give me on the matter.

Thank You

hi paulwhy, just to update and ask again where i should definitly apply this is my final time! this time with AS results and proper A2 predictins that will be sent off

so:

GCSEs: 6A* 5A
    AS: AAAAA maths economics geography physics further maths
    A2: predicted A*A*A*, maths economics geography and further maths is only one not confirmed but an A or B maybe

so what are the categories of uni i should go for (according to taelt) ?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    hi paulwhy, just to update and ask again where i should definitly apply this is my final time! this time with AS results and proper A2 predictins that will be sent off

so:

A2: predicted A*A*A*, maths economics geography and further maths is only one not confirmed but an A or B maybe

thanks

Congrats and WOW for the predicted score. I think with good PS and reference -you could apply to any UNIVs. Although you have 6* at GCSE - 3A* predicted should easily compansate for them. I would go for 3 any top ones and 2 maybe the second tier ones just as insurance.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)

so:

thanks
    4 in the TAELT top 11
    1 outside as a safety.

(Original post by rnshan)
    Congrats and WOW for the predicted score. I think with good PS and reference -you could apply to any UNIVs. Although you have 6* at GCSE - 3A* predicted should easily compansate for them. I would go for 3 any top ones and 2 maybe the second tier ones just as insurance.
    good luck
    4 in the TAELT top 11
    1 outside as a safety.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    4 in the TAELT top 11
    1 outside as a safety.
    You should bind some button for this message
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey Paul.

GCSE: 9A*'s
    AS: 4A's (Maths, Econ, History, Physics) + Further Maths AS in year 13.
    A2: Not had predictions yet, but probably A*AA or something (Maths, Econ, History).

Choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham

Just asking, with these grades where abouts in the TAELT should my 5th uni choice be?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    Hey Paul.

GCSE: 9A*'s
    AS: 4A's (Maths, Econ, History, Physics) + Further Maths AS in year 13.
    A2: Not had predictions yet, but probably A*AA or something (Maths, Econ, History).

Choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham

Just asking, with these grades where abouts in the TAELT should my 5th uni choice be?

Thanks.
    One of the top 11.

ReputationRep:
    Paul, will high predicted grades mean an inflated offer or just a greater chance of an offer in the first place? I ask because I am predicted A* in Maths, A*/A in Economics and will probably get an A in Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAJC)
    Paul, will high predicted grades mean an inflated offer or just a greater chance of an offer in the first place? I ask because I am predicted A* in Maths, A*/A in Economics and will probably get an A in Physics.
    Higher grades will not lead to higher offers.

ReputationRep:
    Ihave got 5 A* in IGCSE, 3 A, a B and a C. I am interested in studying Economics further. I am expected to get in IB
    Maths HL 6
    Eco HL 6
    Chem HL 6
    Phy SL 7
    French SL 6
    Eng SL 5
    Can you please suggest which are the most suitable universities for me? Thank you.
    SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SooSee)
    Ihave got 5 A* in IGCSE, 3 A, a B and a C. I am interested in studying Economics further. I am expected to get in IB
    Maths HL 6
    Eco HL 6
    Chem HL 6
    Phy SL 7
    French SL 6
    Eng SL 5
    Can you please suggest which are the most suitable universities for me? Thank you.
    SS
    I don't know: I have not looked at IB offers for 2010.
    Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry but I've got another one of those econ uni thread.
    I just want some advice from people, I don't know if I'm aiming too high for my choices.

GCSE's: 6 A*, 5A's
    AS: AAAA in maths, chemistry, spanish and economics
    A2: maths, economics and spanish (predicted A*A*A - realistically think I'll get A*AA)

I'm hoping to apply to
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham

then I can't decide which 2 out of LSE, UCL, Bath, B'ham and Exeter. Both Exeter and Bath are AAA/AAB and b'ham is AAB. I'm not sure if i should apply to one of those and either LSE/UCL. I don't think my GCSE's are 'good enough' for LSE and I am bit worried just in case I don't get an A* in maths (which UCL want).

any advice will be appreciated, thanks

i got same GCSE's
    and i have 4 good A levels like yours

why no further maths?

cambridge warwick nottingham are hard enough, so go one lower and then have birmingham has a backup, that is what im doing
    im maybe likely applying to
    lse
    ucl
    nottingham
    birmingham

no idea what my 4th choice is just yet

take 4 A2 levels, seriously.

im worried about applying to LSE aswell, because my 6A*5A at GCSE could let me down
    but im going to take the risk and hope my personal statement is amazing and my A*A*A*A prediction and further maths helpes me out

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajchahal18)
    I just want some advice from people, I don't know if I'm aiming too high for my choices.

A2: maths, economics and spanish (predicted A*A*A - realistically think I'll get A*AA)

I'm hoping to apply to
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham

then I can't decide which 2 out of LSE, UCL, Bath, B'ham and Exeter. Both Exeter and Bath are AAA/AAB and b'ham is AAB. I'm not sure if i should apply to one of those and either LSE/UCL. I don't think my GCSE's are 'good enough' for LSE and I am bit worried just in case I don't get an A* in maths (which UCL want).

Go for one of UCL or LSE and another Bath / B'ham
    Try doing AS in FM to improve your chances with top ones.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like sound advice

ReputationRep:
    Good advice. I'd go for these universities personally:

- Cambridge
    - UCL (low GCSEs according to LSE)
    - Warwick
    - Nottingham
    - Birmingham

If you don't fancy your chances with one of UCL/Warwick/Nottingham, then apply to somewhere like Bath/Durham/York etc. But you're certainly good enough for three of the top 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajchahal18)

I'm hoping to apply to
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham

Why are you dropping Chemistry?
    Is your school academically weak?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you dropping Chemistry?
    Is your school academically weak?
    No, it's a pretty good school. I've dropped it because I didn't like it that much at AS, and I'd rather concentrate on getting those A* predictions that 4 A levels.
    Thnaks for the advice so far though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.