The British and Irish Lions Tour 2009 Thread Watch

QwentyJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liam 09)
You can't kick it out from the restart.

Guys c'mon hes only human, really we should be asking why the last try was conceded because thats where SA took the lead and probably the match.
It wasn't the restart, it was a bout of aerial ping pong after the restart from Steven Jones' penalty.
acid8000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jesus Christ, pitiful second half from us. My smiley ratings:

1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Matthew Rees All Welsh front row my arse.
3 Adam Jones
4 Simon Shaw
5 Paul O'Connell
6 Tom Croft
7 David Wallace :indiff:
8 Jamie Heaslip :indiff:

9 Mike Phillips Despite some very dodgy passes.
10 Stephen Jones
11 Luke Fitzgerald :indiff:
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Brian O'Driscoll MOTM for me.
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Rob Kearney

16 Ross Ford N/A
17 Andrew Sheridan Better than Jenkins.
18 Alun-Wyn Jones N/A
19 Martyn Williams N/A
20 Harry Ellis N/A
21 Ronan O'Gara N/A
22 Shane Williams N/A
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liam 09)
You can't kick it out from the restart.

Guys c'mon hes only human, really we should be asking why the last try was conceded because thats where SA took the lead and probably the match.
It was O'Gara who missed the tackle for Fourie's try too. And he could have punted to touch when he collected Steyn's kick instead of sending up the high ball and chasing.
Liam 09
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No f'ing idea then.. lol.
benmh92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
O'Gara = Biggest idiot ever. He lost us the game by being boshed for the try and then giving away the penalty. Hook should have been on the bench, simple as, that way we could have kept our shape with Jones staying at fly half. But still excellent game but gutted.
callum Honisett
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't believe it! Hope someone gives Botha a bloody good hiding next week, he's a complete ****, as is Matfield.

Ronan O'Gara is a complete idiot :mad:
acid8000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by benmh92)
He lost us the game by being boshed for the try
What do you expect, even I'm bigger than Ronan "The Weed" O'Gara! :laugh:
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
we are going to get dicked next week.
as soon as williams came on for BOd with 20 to go i knew we were in trouble.
the front row going off we could deal with but not the centres
Edenr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's almost certain that Hook will be on the bench next week. We were very unlucky with injuries today, they played a big part. Does anyone know why Ross Ford didn't come on when A Jones came off? I thought Rees could play prop, we could have had contested scrums still then. That would have been a massive advantage as a) we were dominating them, and b) they were looking very dangerous from them, cutting through us.
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lnjames)
Jesus Christ, pitiful second half from us. My smiley ratings:

1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Matthew Rees All Welsh front row my arse.
3 Adam Jones
4 Simon Shaw
5 Paul O'Connell
6 Tom Croft
7 David Wallace :indiff:
8 Jamie Heaslip :indiff:

9 Mike Phillips Despite some very dodgy passes.
10 Stephen Jones
11 Luke Fitzgerald :indiff:
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Brian O'Driscoll MOTM for me.
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Rob Kearney

16 Ross Ford N/A
17 Andrew Sheridan Better than Jenkins.
18 Alun-Wyn Jones N/A
19 Martyn Williams N/A
20 Harry Ellis N/A
21 Ronan O'Gara N/A
22 Shane Williams N/A
Those ratings make no sense. I generally agreed last time but this time no way. BOD was not MOTM, Sheridan wasn't better than Jenkins, Kearney and S Jones were superb and Heaslip and Wallace were outstanding. Matthew Rees was good, nothing outstanding but he did very well. Croft was non existent, again, apart from one excelent lineout catch. Fitz was both really good and not so good but generally was very good. Shaw was great by giving the team bulk but he isn't my favourite player but we needed him today. POC showed he was generally useless atm too apart from a couple of good things.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
I think it's almost certain that Hook will be on the bench next week. We were very unlucky with injuries today, they played a big part. Does anyone know why Ross Ford didn't come on when A Jones came off? I thought Rees could play prop, we could have had contested scrums still then. That would have been a massive advantage as a) we were dominating them, and b) they were looking very dangerous from them, cutting through us.
i dont think we would have dominated with rees at prop

no coincidence that we were winning and out of the blue loads of our players went off injured, its 2001/2005 all over again.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Those ratings make no sense. I generally agreed last time but this time no way. BOD was not MOTM, Sheridan wasn't better than Jenkins, Kearney and S Jones were superb and Heaslip and Wallace were outstanding. Matthew Rees was good, nothing outstanding but he did very well. Croft was non existent, again, apart from one excelent lineout catch. Fitz was both really good and not so good but generally was very good. Shaw was great by giving the team bulk but he isn't my favourite player but we needed him today. POC showed he was generally useless atm too apart from a couple of good things.
is that because he is english.
croft non existant again? another welsh nob that feels inferior when compared to england.
Roobsa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just saw Simon Shaw's interview on Sky Sports, you could tell how much starting today meant for him. I feel so gutted that he didn't win. The interviewer actually hugged Shaw.
Edenr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
i dont think we would have dominated with rees at prop

no coincidence that we were winning and out of the blue loads of our players went off injured, its 2001/2005 all over again.
Up against Smit he would have had a chance, plus Ross Ford is a big lump and with Simon Shaw behind him... But I can see now why they chose not to.

O'Driscoll's tackle on Rossouw was awesome at the time, but looks a mistake now because that man Brussouw creamed us at the breakdown.
QwentyJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
Up against Smit he would have had a chance, plus Ross Ford is a big lump and with Simon Shaw behind him... But I can see now why they chose not to.

O'Driscoll's tackle on Rossouw was awesome at the time, but looks a mistake now because that man Brussouw creamed us at the breakdown.
S.A. had a 5/2 split on the bench. The turnover machine would have come on at some point, but maybe a little too late had BOD not gone for it.

Ugh. Bloody saffers.
acid8000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BOD was not MOTM, Sheridan wasn't better than Jenkins
MOTM is obviously debatable. But what did Jenkins do better than Sheridan?

Kearney and S Jones were superb and Heaslip and Wallace were outstanding.
Kearney and Jones were good yes, Heaslip and Wallace were anonymous.

Matthew Rees was good, nothing outstanding but he did very well. Croft was non existent, again, apart from one excelent lineout catch.
Rees messed up a load of throws, a couple of which in dangerous areas. He did nothing in the loose of note, and I'm yet to believe that he makes an impact in the scrums.

If Croft was non-existant, what were Wallace and Heaslip meant to be doing so great? He had more than one good lineout catch, carried the ball and hit 90% of the rucks. :confused:

Fitz was both really good and not so good but generally was very good. Shaw was great by giving the team bulk but he isn't my favourite player but we needed him today. POC showed he was generally useless atm too apart from a couple of good things.
Fitz did absolutely **** all apart from a couple of good takes under the high ball. Pretty weak in defence, and about as exciting as porridge. Shaw did his job very well, and POC also did his job.
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
is that because he is english.
croft non existant again? another welsh nob that feels inferior when compared to england.
No because apart from being bulky i don't think he offers that much at his age of 37 (is it?) now. Still i thought he was very good and i cheered him on a few times when he was doing well :p:

Nope, Croft wasn't that good, simple as. The Irish back rowers were far better. I'm Welsh, indifferent to Irish, English and Scots, and of course will be biased to the Welsh, but try not to be. Too many of the English i don't think are that good i'm afraid. If Kearney was English i would still be saying he was MOTM despite him having a poorish second half at times. I've rated him alongside Byrne since the 6N. Though we could have done with Monye perhaps because he is more bulky than Fitz and Fitz got shovelled over a few times too many especially for that 5 metre scrum!
benmh92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lnjames)
MOTM is obviously debatable. But what did Jenkins do better than Sheridan?

Kearney and Jones were good yes, Heaslip and Wallace were anonymous.

Rees messed up a load of throws, a couple of which in dangerous areas. He did nothing in the loose of note, and I'm yet to believe that he makes an impact in the scrums.

If Croft was non-existant, what were Wallace and Heaslip meant to be doing so great? He had more than one good lineout catch, carried the ball and hit 90% of the rucks. :confused:

Fitz did absolutely **** all apart from a couple of good takes under the high ball. Pretty weak in defence, and about as exciting as porridge. Shaw did his job very well, and POC also did his job.
Made me chuckle :p:

Rees threw against the best lineout in world Rugby, he done a very good job mostly and is defintely a better option than Ford and Mears after his first test game. Jenkins is so much better in the loose, Sheridan is strong that's all, he doesn't really do much? Heaslip and Wallace were not anonymous, Wallace especially was excellent i thought. I just barely saw Croft around the field tbh Jones and Kearney were not good, they were excellent.
Edenr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's odd... You've got a new gem though.

Armitage should have been called up after Byrne was ruled out. Having him on the bench instead of Williams today would have had us in a better position to cover injuries. Or if not him, then Earls. No centre cover on the bench was a mistake.
acid8000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
That's odd... You've got a new gem though.
Don't worry, that was just me being thick. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise