Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    . We had our 5 guaranteed first team players out (RVP/Cesc/Walcott/Song/Vermaelen). No team in the WORLD could cope with that.

So by that logic if Barca played Sunderland and were missing the following players, there is no way they could win:

Messi
    Villa
    Inesta
    Xavi
    Alves

Sorry but that's total bull.

We should have enough quality in reserve to beat Sunderland, just like any of the top teams should. We just don't have that depth to the squad.

We didn't "Bottle it", the players tried hard and it could easily have been 3/4-0, we were unlucky but the lack of depth in the squad definitley plays a big part in the performance.

ReputationRep:
    As I've said before, I really don't understand the moaning in this thread. We were always going to drop points, just like all our other competitors will. I don't see why everyone jumps around like a hyenas every time we drop points. It's just stupid.

Wenger has done a marvellous job here, and I'm fully proud of my team. I really couldn't care less if we bought a £50m striker or not. Our strikeforce is RVP/Bendtner/Chamakh, and until Wenger decides to dip into market, I will be in full support of them.

As for today, it was an unfortunate result, but given the circumstances, there is no way in hell you can say we bottled it. We had our 5 guaranteed first team players out (RVP/Cesc/Walcott/Song/Vermaelen). No team in the WORLD could cope with that. Added to that we had a wrongly disallowed goal, a penalty not given and hit the post twice.

Anyone saying we bottled it is a mug. Sorry.
    Agreed.

Having watched it on MOTD, we really could have won that match another day. But then again, one of Sunderland's chances could have gone in and we'd be worse off.

Szczesny's saves were brill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    So by that logic if Barca played Sunderland and were missing the following players, there is no way they could win:

Messi
    Villa
    Inesta
    Xavi
    Alves

We should have enough quality in reserve to beat Sunderland, just like any of the top teams should. We just don't have that depth to the squad.

We didn't "Bottle it", the players tried hard and it could easily have been 3/4-0, we were unlucky but the lack of depth in the squad definitley plays a big part in the performance.
    I wouldn't say no to those players being out for Tuesday's match

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunghamz)
    I wouldn't say no to those players being out for Tuesday's match
    I think we'd all quite like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)

Messi
    Villa
    Inesta
    Xavi
    Alves

I think what he was saying is that losing 5 first team players will weaken any team. Yes barca would still be a very strong team without these players but they would be severely weakened. How many times has Barca played without Messi for example? Barca's second string is far weaker than the first. In fact Gabbi Milito and Mascherano in for Busquets and Puyol makes a significantly weaker barca team. That's why they always play badly and lose after international breaks. Their second string isn't that great.

As for us, we need to keep plugging away. It's a shame Ramsey didn't play instead of Denilson, though it was expected I think we'd have created a lot more. We should probably consider playing both Chamakh and Bendtner to ensure that we bury chances, especially against lesser teams.

ReputationRep:
    Puyol AND Pique are both out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    They were both out in last year's match aswell.....

ReputationRep:
    I think the saddest thing about todays match is that no-one's surprised.

ReputationRep:
    They were both out in last year's match aswell.....
    I thought it was just Puyol that missed that match due to suspension..?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well this time they look to play Busk and Abidal at centre back. We really couda done with Theo playing. Lets hope Fab and Song are fit to play!

ReputationRep:
    I had a dream a few nights ago that we were tricking Barcelona about Walcott and Van Persie being injured and that we announced they were in the squad at the very last second to surprise Barca. I wish this could actually happen

ReputationRep:
    The players should know that whatever happens on Tuesday should not negatively affect them. The premier league is still the number one aim and the champions league match is just the first round of the knock-out stages. I Thought THIS was pretty obvious tbh.
    Mate tbh, if you think going on a run of loosing a cup final, then dropping important points at home that would have put pressure on your opponents then possibly loosing in the CL (maybe emphatically) would not affect the team then youre being silly. Similarly, if you beat Barca they will gain confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I thought it was just Puyol that missed that match due to suspension..?
    Pique missed that match because of a suspension and Puyol received red at the emirates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Mate tbh, if you think going on a run of loosing a cup final, then dropping important points at home that would have put pressure on your opponents then possibly loosing in the CL (maybe emphatically) would not affect the team then youre being silly. Similarly, if you beat Barca they will gain confidence.
    You are wrong i am not being silly. What is silly though is if the players get affected by things that have nothing to do with the premier league. If i was playing for Arsenal on Tuesday and managed to lose the match, why should i let this affect the rest of my season when my aim was to win the premier league. I can see where you're coming from though as this happened to Arsenal last season. I am not saying they won't be affected by the Barca result, i'm just saying the players shouldn't let this affect them negatively when there are matches left in the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    Puyol will most likely be back

ReputationRep:
    As I've said before, I really don't understand the moaning in this thread. We were always going to drop points, just like all our other competitors will. I don't see why everyone jumps around like a hyenas every time we drop points. It's just stupid.
    At the same time you can't blame people for going OTT. Your home games are the must-win games, especially those against non-top 4 sides. People will look for reasons when points are dropped, especially when they're unexpected.

Wenger has done a marvellous job here, and I'm fully proud of my team. I really couldn't care less if we bought a £50m striker or not. Our strikeforce is RVP/Bendtner/Chamakh, and until Wenger decides to dip into market, I will be in full support of them.
    Fair enough.

As for today, it was an unfortunate result, but given the circumstances, there is no way in hell you can say we bottled it. We had our 5 guaranteed first team players out (RVP/Cesc/Walcott/Song/Vermaelen). No team in the WORLD could cope with that. Added to that we had a wrongly disallowed goal, a penalty not given and hit the post twice.

Anyone saying we bottled it is a mug. Sorry.
    Vermaelen is important to your team but you've kept something like 8 clean sheets in 10 games? I don't think he should be included in that list unless you genuinely think you've missed him that much against Sunderland. Fair enough you had some decisions go against you but you also have to look at the team performance. I watched the game and for about 70 minutes Arsenal didn't really do much.

'Bottling it' is perhaps overplayed by the media, just like how Arsenal 'grow into men' , but there is an element of truth behind it. Do you want the Arsenal team just to be judged when all those 5 players are all fit at the same time and in the team (which is highly unlikely)? No team in the WORLD could cope with injuries to guaranteed first-teamers because it probably rarely happens to them, or if it happens it's one a one-off basis, but at Arsenal it seems a season-by-season thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still annoyed about yesterday's result. Firstly the whole team was so complacent, why did it take until like the 75th minute for them to wake up and realise we needed to win? I think Wenger messed up as well, Diaby should've played the more advanced role rather than Wilshere but other than that I suppose the team was the best we could put out with all the injuries. The injuries are so frustrating as well, it's difficult knowing that with our first team we would win the league, I don't think we've lost a game this season where Cesc, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Nasri and Van Persie have started have we? And that includes games against Chelsea, Man City and Barcelona. Players like Denilson and Rosicky should be able to come in and do a job but they've regressed so much, they're basically liabilities now.

But in the end we done enough yesterday and were cost again by pathetic refereeing, no wonder we have players diving all over the place, it's because these awful referees will do nothing unless you go down theatrically. If Arshavin had exaggerated the contact and went down we probably would've got the penalty and then the offside is just inexplicable, the linesman is looking down the line he should be able to see Arshavin is clearly on. In the end I suppose we've closed the gap to 3 points now and are better off, hopefully Liverpool can do us a big favour today!

ReputationRep:
    You drew yesterday because of extremely bad luck. Don't understand where the MOTD pundits were coming from.

Poor officiating again and Clattenburg had another poor game yesterday in his Fulham match. Too much of this incompetence for too long now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    You drew yesterday because of extremely bad luck. Don't understand where the MOTD pundits were coming from.

Poor officiating again and Clattenburg had another poor game yesterday in his Fulham match. Too much of this incompetence for too long now.
    I didn't see MOTD, but what did the pundits say?. Wait let me guess, "Arsenal are not good enough for the title, simply because they blame the officials everytime decisions goes against them".

ReputationRep:
    Lol, they've been studying wilshere http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footba...2039-22968532/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.