The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lekky
Amazing day.. cannot ****ing wait for clinical years.. now taken enough bloods that I no longer get nervous, put in some IVs, took ABGs for the first time, did an ECG all by myself (PROUD) haha. Pre-clinical --> :nn:

I am stupidly happy that I'm done with pre-clinical and this intro lecture week to clinical years is very nearly over. So very done with lectures and all.
Reply 5581
I got on the research project I wanted :biggrin: can't wait to get started!
Original post by lekky
Amazing day.. cannot ****ing wait for clinical years.. now taken enough bloods that I no longer get nervous, put in some IVs, took ABGs for the first time, did an ECG all by myself (PROUD) haha. Pre-clinical --> :nn:

So what happened to dreading going back? :tongue:
Reply 5583
Original post by Fission_Mailed
So what happened to dreading going back? :tongue:

Today was an exception. I'm dreading peebs and labs that make me want to die.
Am I being a drama queen because I came home and cried today because I dont think im good enough?

Im having a serious crisis - which may have been made worse by something that I was half expecting but I was being an optomist (and in denial) that happened earlier this week?

Clinical medicine is great. Ive just completely lost confidence after a very difficult year!

End rant!
Original post by fairy spangles
Am I being a drama queen because I came home and cried today because I dont think im good enough?

Im having a serious crisis - which may have been made worse by something that I was half expecting but I was being an optomist (and in denial) that happened earlier this week?

Clinical medicine is great. Ive just completely lost confidence after a very difficult year!

End rant!

:frown: No, I think we've all had these moments, mine was at 5am on the morning of my Phase 1 exam. I'm sorry to hear about whatever news you've had but remember when one door closes another one opens (huge cliche but its true) also you must be pretty good as you're now in final year! Keep going :smile: you're nearly there!
Reply 5586
Everyone thinks I am a lesbian. I mean jsut because ou had a girlfriend ONCE IN YOUR LIFE does not mean you are a lesbian. :frown: Spent so logn dispelling this rumour... especialy when talking to the GUY (ie MALE PERSON) that I like.. NOTHING WRONG WITH BISEXUALITY. Yah I'm greedy, I LIKE OPTIONS IN LIFE
Is he still being far too gentlemanly? :tongue:
Original post by lekky
Rant
So about the new FY1 application process starting from next year with SJTs and deciles instead of quartiles.. I've also heard that each med school, depending on it's size get some extra points to award to students of it's choosing. For example a big med school could get 175 points whilst a smaller one could get 100. There's been some talk that these will be given mainly as a reward for academic excellence, like to top 10% students etc. But what's the point? Surely the deciles already decide that difference. I'm not even entirely sure why this extra points thing is being done in the first place, can anyone shed some light?
Packing stuff up is such an effort. Not only that but I don't actually think I'm going to fit it all in the car, especially since my comp is going down dismantled (bastard B&Q and not stocking rivets anything other than silver) so there's more boxes than usual AND I have to fit a massive desk in the back because my rented accomodation is the ****test thing ever. Ikea desks jump from 150cm (too small) to 200cm! Why couldn't there be a 180cm :frown:.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
:frown: No, I think we've all had these moments, mine was at 5am on the morning of my Phase 1 exam. I'm sorry to hear about whatever news you've had but remember when one door closes another one opens (huge cliche but its true) also you must be pretty good as you're now in final year! Keep going :smile: you're nearly there!

Thankyou thats such a nice message. Glad to know everyone goes through a bad patch!!
:smile:
Hmmmm. Is it weird that I still get this excited about freshers, other than, well, freshers themselves? Mummies and Daddies night tomorrow and I get to find out the new additions to my family (if they turn up)! :teeth:
Original post by Medicine Man
Hmmmm. Is it weird that I still get this excited about freshers, other than, well, freshers themselves? Mummies and Daddies night tomorrow and I get to find out the new additions to my family (if they turn up)! :teeth:

I'm looking forwards to having freshers around and meeting my son/daughter. Hopefully daughter, if I'm honest.
Original post by Stanley90
So about the new FY1 application process starting from next year with SJTs and deciles instead of quartiles.. I've also heard that each med school, depending on it's size get some extra points to award to students of it's choosing. For example a big med school could get 175 points whilst a smaller one could get 100. There's been some talk that these will be given mainly as a reward for academic excellence, like to top 10% students etc. But what's the point? Surely the deciles already decide that difference. I'm not even entirely sure why this extra points thing is being done in the first place, can anyone shed some light?

I don't quite get this - so more points for the people who will in essence be getting more points anyway?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I'm looking forwards to having freshers around and meeting my son/daughter. Hopefully daughter, if I'm honest.

Yeah, but many people I've spoken to say they won't be coming out much - I suppose its because its the third time and all. Maybe.

I think I hugged (yeah, we'll stick with that :p:) my daughter multiple times after I met her for the first time last year. She is fit (but now has a bf who's a dentist, and he's a decent one :p:). My wife, and practically all my female friends, thought our son was fit too. What can I say, we clearly have good genes! :colone:

... I ... I have no family :frown:

On another note, earlier in the week I was really looking forward to getting back. Now, not so much. Having packed everything up and waiting to go tomorrow I just don't want to >.<. No more cooked food, no more family, back to the suck world of endless lectures and work. I don't think it helps I haven't had any work this past week as I handed in my end of holiday notice last week so I haven't had to experience the suck of McDonalds for the past week. I have it to look forward to at Christmas though!
Original post by RollerBall
... I ... I have no family :frown:

On another note, earlier in the week I was really looking forward to getting back. Now, not so much. Having packed everything up and waiting to go tomorrow I just don't want to >.<. No more cooked food, no more family, back to the suck world of endless lectures and work. I don't think it helps I haven't had any work this past week as I handed in my end of holiday notice last week so I haven't had to experience the suck of McDonalds for the past week. I have it to look forward to at Christmas though!

Tbh, my dads were crap anyway - I only ever saw one of them, and 90% of the time, he was too drunk to string together sentences that made any sense. :p:

Sad thing about year 2 is that there's no introductory/easing in period - you start on the first day with CR. Speaking of which, you and wink2kpro need to come and find me again to pass on the files etc. for this year - I was quote organised this year and have folders for most things. Keep bugging me when you see me.
Tbh, my dads were crap anyway - I only ever saw one of them, and 90% of the time, he was too drunk to string together sentences that made any sense. :p:

Sad thing about year 2 is that there's no introductory/easing in period - you start on the first day with CR. Speaking of which, you and wink2kpro need to come and find me again to pass on the files etc. for this year - I was quote organised this year and have folders for most things. Keep bugging me when you see me.

Sounds excellent.

I've literally forgotten everything since year 1 though. Do the lectures kind of refresh everything? Or do they literally talk to you as if you just finished year 1 yesterday?
Original post by RollerBall
Sounds excellent.

I've literally forgotten everything since year 1 though. Do the lectures kind of refresh everything? Or do they literally talk to you as if you just finished year 1 yesterday?

There are refresher anatomy sessions seeing as all the anatomy was covered in year 1 but everything is pretty much new, so yes they do talk to you as if you weren't on a summer break. Having said that, CR isn't that complicated and you sorta go through it thinking "I'm sure we did this last year" as we did cover a few pathologies in year 1 pbls, but the EMQs, particularly for Resp were kinda annoying. There are a few major pathologies you sorta need to know inside out, but you'll prob have lectures and pbls (and possibly microanatomy sessions) on these.

At the beginning of each module, Dr Carroll gave as a mini talk about reading all your year 1 notes for each module before it started again. Wise words. Wish I did that. Dunno who your new head of year is since Carroll retired, but it's still a good idea to recap a few bits and pieces if you can.
There are refresher anatomy sessions seeing as all the anatomy was covered in year 1 but everything is pretty much new, so yes they do talk to you as if you weren't on a summer break. Having said that, CR isn't that complicated and you sorta go through it thinking "I'm sure we did this last year" as we did cover a few pathologies in year 1 pbls, but the EMQs, particularly for Resp were kinda annoying. There are a few major pathologies you sorta need to know inside out, but you'll prob have lectures and pbls (and possibly microanatomy sessions) on these.

At the beginning of each module, Dr Carroll gave as a mini talk about reading all your year 1 notes for each module before it started again. Wise words. Wish I did that. Dunno who your new head of year is since Carroll retired, but it's still a good idea to recap a few bits and pieces if you can.

Yeah... About that... I don't have any notes... I write notes to learnt the stuff then toss 'em.