Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Grenier signed a new contract at Lyon recently, highly unlikely deal
    Grenier was a classic Wenger smokescreen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...IL-ASHTON.html

The quotes don't make for good reading for Arsenal fans but still an interesting article, leave out the Daily Fail **** too Ashton is one of the best in the business
    Wenger came out last year and basically admitted to telling white lies about the club's financial strength. The reality is that we were potless but we're absolutely loaded right now, so these quotes arent particularly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Honestly, what else is Gazidis really going to say, all he's statements have probably been revised and approved by the board.

No Surprise there are no important quotes from Wenger about our situation, all Ashton has done is cherry pick the information that suits he's anti Arsenal agenda
    What Wenger quotes do you want ? The bloke gives the media the run around for his own entertainment on a weekly basis and is never consistent on any topic, according to most Arsenal fans though when he says something people wanna hear its sincere and when its bad news hes just lying or its a smoke screen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Grenier signed a new contract at Lyon recently, highly unlikely deal
    Indeed. Just another rumour mill "oh he's french so linking him with Arsenal sounds plausible".

It was interesting today watching the Vietnam game (for those of you who are bored/enthusiastic you can see the whole thing for free on Arsenal Player. Firstly, Giroud scored a hat-trick in 45mins on the basis of practically no service. I know it's pre-season and who cares but it's still encouraging to see.
    Secondly, Chamberlain was played in a central midfield role, where I personally think he looks good. He has the injection of pace and the impetus when he picks up the ball that shifts the opposition team on to the back foot (Rosicky is amazing at doing this too). I don't think he'll be there for a few years yet but interested me to see Wenger moving him in to that position.

Interesting to know how much Gervinho is being paid. Also players like Park/Miyachi are probably on larger contracts than we think. If any of them do end up making these proposed moves... it could clear more room for a new player than we might initially suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Is park still with us? Where was he last season?
    Did arsenal just buy him.for shirt sales? What a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wenger's just said that fabregas is staying at Barcelona for one more year. Also he confirmed that we have that first refusal clause in his contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    What Wenger quotes do you want ? The bloke gives the media the run around for his own entertainment on a weekly basis and is never consistent on any topic, according to most Arsenal fans though when he says something people wanna hear its sincere and when its bad news hes just lying or its a smoke screen
    Most of Wenger's antics regards transfer business, he never messes around when discussing Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    It's quite sickening every year we sell our best players. Yes there are plenty of players out there we can buy, some even better than Cazorla, but it's like starting all over again. In his second year in England he could be quite the player but it looks like he may be out.

I really wanna see us move for Mata now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be an idiot

ReputationRep:
    srsly missing the football, srs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Wenger's just said that fabregas is staying at Barcelona for one more year. Also he confirmed that we have that first refusal clause in his contract
    Haha I love the way you say 'Wenger just said...'. It's good news though because he would have added something to UTD.

Did he say anything on our transfer targets?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Don't be an idiot
    Why do you say that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Schichtoe)
    Indeed. Just another rumour mill "oh he's french so linking him with Arsenal sounds plausible".

It was interesting today watching the Vietnam game (for those of you who are bored/enthusiastic you can see the whole thing for free on Arsenal Player. Firstly, Giroud scored a hat-trick in 45mins on the basis of practically no service. I know it's pre-season and who cares but it's still encouraging to see.
    Secondly, Chamberlain was played in a central midfield role, where I personally think he looks good. He has the injection of pace and the impetus when he picks up the ball that shifts the opposition team on to the back foot (Rosicky is amazing at doing this too). I don't think he'll be there for a few years yet but interested me to see Wenger moving him in to that position.

Interesting to know how much Gervinho is being paid. Also players like Park/Miyachi are probably on larger contracts than we think. If any of them do end up making these proposed moves... it could clear more room for a new player than we might initially suppose.
    Rosicky was fantastic, exploiting the space the Vietnam defenders were leaving out wide so well with those lobbed passes. :coma: Also, at 16 Zelalem is already such a classy passer - that through-ball for the sixth goal. :sogood:

ReputationRep:

Okay.

ReputationRep:
    Vermaelen out for 3 months already. Sheesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Vermaelen out for 3 months already. Sheesh.
    Says who?

We need another CB either way. Rate Williams but reckon we can do better than 10m for a 28 year old, would prefer someone younger who can gradually work his way into the team.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's just added fuel to the Williams story. Expect it to be all over the media tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    would be infavour of williams..

sure hes expensive but he would slot in easily, and is proven in the league.. - there would be very little risk..

and as defenders tend to age better and play longer, Im pretty sure you would get a decent amount out of him.

Only issue is the price (and havent swansea just made him their captain?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Haha I love the way you say 'Wenger just said...'. It's good news though because he would have added something to UTD.

Did he say anything on our transfer targets?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He said we aren't close to signing anybody but then again he would say that even if we were close

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is the point in getting a new good centre back who will most likely be sitting on the bench for every game? In the unlikely event that koscielny or mertesacker get injured, I'd be happy to see sagna there as back up. And I'm thinking that wenger feels the same way? And that's maybe why sagna played centre back yesterday? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    havent swansea just made him their captain?
    Doesn't really mean anything to be honest. When has being captain ever stopped an Arsenal player moving on? Also, I suppose when you're captain of a small to mid size club, being captain means you're probably one of the best players at that club, and more likely to be the kind of player who'd get a transfer to a higher club.

(Original post by goofymark13)
    What on earth is the point in getting a new good centre back who will most likely be sitting on the bench for every game? In the unlikely event that koscielny or mertesacker get injured, I'd be happy to see sagna there as back up. And I'm thinking that wenger feels the same way? And that's maybe why sagna played centre back yesterday? :dontknow:
    I do agree to an extent. Both of our right backs can play centre back in an emergency, and we have Bellerin and a few versatile midfielders (Yennaris, Ramsey) who could cover at RB if by some terrible misfortune we lost enough CBs that we would have to compensate like this. With that said, we are treading on thin ice going into the new season with only two fit and established CBs, plus an inexperienced Miquel. Although I think we should hopefully be alright. If Vermaelen's injury is a three month one, then that's only two months of the regular season which kicks off in one month, so we should be able to survive that long.

If the worst comes to pass, we may have to recall Djourou from loan, call up someone like Isaac Hayden, or try Wenger's new CB weapon - Chuks Aneke!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.