Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Currently in my first year of a Geography degree, and really want to get into teaching (secondary). I've looked into Teach First but am also planning on applying for a PGCE too.
    So far I have some work experience...

Teaching course during sixth form (obviously won't be relevant by the time I'd be applying for the actual PGCE but hopefully could demonstrate that it's something I've wanted to do for a while)

2 months teaching English to children ages 11+ at a summer school in Romania

Assistant - teaching English to refugees and asylum seekers at a support centre, includes working with vulnerable children

1 week of observation at a primary school

Planning on getting a minimum of 2 weeks at a PRU this summer, then another 2 weeks at a high school, plus a long term high school placement throughout my second year of uni.

I was wondering if any of you think I could be doing more? I know no one can say for sure, but do you think, given what experience I have and am planning to get, I stand a realistic chance?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra19)
    Hi all,
    Currently in my first year of a Geography degree, and really want to get into teaching (secondary). I've looked into Teach First but am also planning on applying for a PGCE too.
    So far I have some work experience...

Teaching course during sixth form (obviously won't be relevant by the time I'd be applying for the actual PGCE but hopefully could demonstrate that it's something I've wanted to do for a while)

2 months teaching English to children ages 11+ at a summer school in Romania

Assistant - teaching English to refugees and asylum seekers at a support centre, includes working with vulnerable children

1 week of observation at a primary school

Planning on getting a minimum of 2 weeks at a PRU this summer, then another 2 weeks at a high school, plus a long term high school placement throughout my second year of uni.

I was wondering if any of you think I could be doing more? I know no one can say for sure, but do you think, given what experience I have and am planning to get, I stand a realistic chance?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

Don't worry you'll be absolutely fine. You have excellent experience, much more than me and I got a place this year!

Remember the main thing is a minimum of 2 weeks observations in a school and being able to reflect on that time is so important.

The extra experience is great to support your application.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody had an interview, but not been successful from Cambridge University? Just found out I didn't get accepted.. completely gutted, as the way they were talking at the interview was as if we were all almost guaranteed a place. Still waiting for my feedback, just wondering what I must have done wrong after it seemed to be going so well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatslew)
    Just got two interview invites! One for secondary history at ioe and the other for secondary history at Leeds trinity! Very very nervous! Anyone else got an interview with either of these?
    Hi, Congrats on receiving an interview at both unis. I am also at the moment in the process of applying for PGCE Secondary History, and I applied last week at the Institute of Education aswell. I was wondering how long you had to wait to receive a response (presumably your interview response) from them after sending your application in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    That sounds like a lovely idea. There is a lot you can link to boxes! Some nice books as well, and for more structured stuff or for older ones you could do some shared writing about what the box is, they could design their own boxes. The imagination stuff works right up through the age groups too with child-led topics... What is the box, what could be in it... See where they go!

At the end of the day I'd go with something you're passionate about as it will show through

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I might go with the box idea but will also think of other ideas too.. I've got a mock interview soon so I will take a few ideas and see what the careers women thinks of them. Thank you for all the advice, it's been really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just got accepted into a pgce course in Newcastle for sept 2014. I am just wondering do you know if you have to do the year after that too where they place you in the school to get your qts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grealls)
    I just got accepted into a pgce course in Newcastle for sept 2014. I am just wondering do you know if you have to do the year after that too where they place you in the school to get your qts?
    AFAIK, all PGCE courses will mean you have to do the year after to gain QTS

ReputationRep:
    Congrats.. I have got a place on the course too. And no I don't think so. My friend on the course at the minute and she isn't. Where you from? I cannot wait to start

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Remember you can afford to get a few wrong in the mental arithmetic and pick up the marks in the second section. I was convinced I had failed mine but somehow managed to get a pass!!
    Did you have to put any units in on your test...cos on the practice ones you dont seem to ever have too!! :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MS90)
    Did you have to put any units in on your test...cos on the practice ones you dont seem to ever have too!! :s
    Not that I remember, no. Was the same format etc as the practice ones. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Hi there,

Don't worry you'll be absolutely fine. You have excellent experience, much more than me and I got a place this year!

Remember the main thing is a minimum of 2 weeks observations in a school and being able to reflect on that time is so important.

The extra experience is great to support your application.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much, that was really reassuring - I've heard so many horror stories on here of people working as TAs for years and not getting onto a PGCE, and although they were mostly applying for Primary, I was in a bit of a panic!

Thanks again, and good luck with your course

ReputationRep:
    Not that I remember, no. Was the same format etc as the practice ones. :-)
    Yeah...id assume it would be the same...im passing my practice ones soo hopefully that is a good sign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MS90)
    Yeah...id assume it would be the same...im passing my practice ones soo hopefully that is a good sign
    Yeah definitely!

ReputationRep:
    You do the PGCE for a year where you will have placements at different schools. At the end of the year, as long as you pass, you will receive QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).

After this you are free to work as a teacher. The first three terms of teaching that you do (in chunks of a term or more - so short term supply doesn't count) will be your induction year. You get a supervisor within the school that you're working in, extra time out of the classroom and are expected to be still on the journey towards the teacher's standards. You are assessed throughout this year and have to pass at the end (only one chance!) to keep your QTS. This isn't as scary as it sounds though, as you are constantly informed throughout the process so shouldn't be able to get to the point of not passing. You can do your induction (also known as NQT year) in most schools, and there is no time limit, although you can only do supply WITHOUT having done induction for the first 5 years after you pass. You can also break it up, so you could do one term temporary work, have a break doing a bit of supply, then another two terms, or whatever really! As long as it is in term long chunks or more.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra19)
    Thank you so much, that was really reassuring - I've heard so many horror stories on here of people working as TAs for years and not getting onto a PGCE, and although they were mostly applying for Primary, I was in a bit of a panic!

Thanks again, and good luck with your course
    Aw that's no problem!

It is competitive but everyone I know that has the required experience, is able to reflect on their experience and comes across on the interview day as a genuine person that wants to be a teacher, has been successful. There is no reason you won't be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I waited just over two weeks for a response from both! Ah brilliant, I'm unbelievably nervous for my interview with ioe and good luck with your application i'm sure you'll get an interview soon

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can you give me some details on the interview please as I had one tomorrow with London Met.

it will be a great help.

G

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can someone give me some details on the PE PGCE interview held last week or before in London metropolitan. I am a bit worried how things will go and cant afford to lose this opportunity as this is my secon application. any help or idea will do. i just found out I had one tomorrow with London Met.

looking forward to hear from you.

G-fit

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can someone give me some details on the PE PGCE interview held last week or before in London metropolitan. I am a bit worried how things will go and cant afford to lose this opportunity as this is my secon application. any help or idea will do. i just found out I had one tomorrow with London Met.

looking forward to hear from you.

G-fit

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely!
    I passed my numeracy!!woooop so thats both my qts skills tests sorted!!just gotta get on a course now....haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.