Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    I am in year 11 and will be taking 5 A levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, chemistry and biology.
    It'll feel overhyped in difficulty literally up to exam season then you get tested on your fortitude, endure and science is your oyster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    This has probably been asked before, but why did everyone choose Cambridge over Oxford?

For me personally, it's because my GCSEs aren't exactly amazing, I have some relatives in Cambridge and I'll always think of Oxford as full to the brim with toffs :lol:
    1. Natural Sciences
    2.The tone in which they speak on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Yeah on that simultaneous one I manually expanded everything which was definitely a mistake. Got there in the end but I had to do around 20 cases of long multiplication addition etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Krollo)
    That simultaneous equation took me a while - I eventually resolved it with the substitution x+3 = u, y-1 = v which was quite neat. Otherwise I didn't really have too many issues (that recurrence relation was odd, never seen one like it before).
    How long did the paper take you guys? I haven't finished it but I was doing the C2 one aswell. Its such a rewarding feeling answering some of the questions though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    Anyone else realised they haven't prepared enough for their exams? I've done barely any revision for f322 chemistry, EWP in physics, and fp1 (all OCR). Any tips on these? It's these topics where I wouldn't get an A if I took it now, I'm hoping my bulk revision will work again haha

also first exam in 8 days D:
    FP1 for OCR is really algebraic so just know your stuff inside out, they can ask some weird questions but so long as all the basic rules are understand and can be applied in different contexts, it's good (Y)

This has probably been asked before, but why did everyone choose Cambridge over Oxford?

For me personally, it's because my GCSEs aren't exactly amazing, I have some relatives in Cambridge and I'll always think of Oxford as full to the brim with toffs :lol:
    I've not fully decided yet but the Economics Tripos strikes a good balance between quantitative and qualitative methods, which from what I've researched so far, is not matched by any other Uni for the full three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    How long did the paper take you guys? I haven't finished it but I was doing the C2 one aswell. Its such a rewarding feeling answering some of the questions though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    About 1hr 30 but I did some of it in very long winded ways

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by C0balt)
    1. Natural Sciences
    2.The tone in which they speak on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Natural Sciences has that flexibility which I definitely prefer over straight on Biochemistry, but I wouldn't be too fussed about it I think (I am applying for Biochem elsewhere after all)

And I don't like Oxford's website format either :erm:

(Original post by Wawasan)
    I've not fully decided yet but the Economics Tripos strikes a good balance between quantitative and qualitative methods, which from what I've researched so far, is not matched by any other Uni for the full three years.
    That's a good reason the Natural Sciences course was preferable for me at start of the year because I was very conflicted between Chemistry/Biochemistry

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A bit over an hour iirc

ReputationRep:
    Natural Sciences has that flexibility which I definitely prefer over straight on Biochemistry, but I wouldn't be too fussed about it I think (I am applying for Biochem elsewhere after all)

And I don't like Oxford's website format either :erm:
    I will be applying for Chemical Physics at other uni so Oxford is out completely as it only offers straight sciences.
    Cambridge sounds more welcoming for some reason. I also like their videos more and they try more to interact with students imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by C0balt)
    I will be applying for Chemical Physics at other uni so Oxford is out completely as it only offers straight sciences.
    Cambridge sounds more welcoming for some reason. I also like their videos more and they try more to interact with students imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely. We had several Cambridge reps coming to our college throughout the year but not a single Oxford one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    About 1hr 30 but I did some of it in very long winded ways

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Krollo)
    A bit over an hour iirc
    FML, I've probably spent 1h30mins so far and I've still got 2 Q's left, I'm kinda using it as procrastination for physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Edit: Cambridge is also much, much more prettier!
    Cambridge is where the smart people are at

I want to be the dumbest person in the room

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Illness sick, otherwise I'd be up revising like mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you get better 😃.

Cambridge is where the smart people are at

I want to be the dumbest person in the room

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So do I! :five:

ReputationRep:

Edit: Cambridge is also much, much more prettier!
    I also don't have stellar GCSEs (at least not by Oxford standards!). I'm hoping that when I go to the open day I will find more reason to like Cambridge in itself, though.

(Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you get better .
    Thanks I have an F322 mock tomorrow as well which I probably won't do my best in

ReputationRep:
    How are we all approaching the exam season then? I see a few of yous doing all nighters! I personally am going to relax a bit (well, not "relax" but just ensuring a get enough sleep and that)

(Original post by Anti-Dirac)
    I also don't have stellar GCSEs (at least not by Oxford standards!). I'm hoping that when I go to the open day I will find more reason to like Cambridge in itself, though.
    Looking at vlogs and pictures etc, the Cambridge city looks very peaceful and quiet. I'm not sure I'd like the hustle and bustle of Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    How are we all approaching the exam season then? I see a few of yous doing all nighters! I personally am going to relax a bit (well, not "relax" but just ensuring a get enough sleep and that)
    Actually feeling way more stressed than for GCSEs because of this silly UMS thing they keep telling me about
    No way can I do an all-nighter - maybe 3 hours when I get home them off to bed!

ReputationRep:
    Looking at vlogs and pictures etc, the Cambridge city looks very peaceful and quiet. I'm not sure I'd like the hustle and bustle of Oxford
    I've been to both Cambridge and Oxford multiple times and I can say that Cambridge is far more beautiful than Oxford (imo).

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.