Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Barca and Madrid could possibly play each other twice in January.

Wow they didn't fix the draw for it to be another final/semi final

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Heh, yeh, interesting draw. I think Zenit was probably the most accessible team we could have hoped for.. I still can't see us winning the tie though. I'd much rather have preferred to go out against a team like AC Milan..

Bruto Alves will be boo-ed like there's no tomorrow!

City v Porto is a very interesting match.. if City take it seriously, they'll win this easily. Although that'll mean that Porto get to concentrate on the League, so I'm hoping for a miracle from Porto...

And yeh, some good matchups elsewhere as well... too bad that Arsenal-AC Milan is on the same day as the Benfica matches
    Zenits next competitive game is against you, having a couple of months off with no competitive game who knows what they will be like? I wonder what Danny will be like considering he was a **** against us.

Somehow I completely missed that Sporting dropped points against Academica. I’m not sure how I missed that result but it just gives a bit more space between them and both of us.

Hmm.. Hulk to PSG, Guarin wanted by Juve and Walter off to Cruzeiro. Walter will be sure to leave during this next month. I feel a bit sorry for him with how things have gone, he should have been given a few more chances and VP has been unfair to him. But then Walter seems to have a load of “personal problems” too and just seems inevitable that he’ll leave now because he can which makes us need a striker even more than before!

Also, sad news about Eusebio too. Hopefully he’ll be okay and recover soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Barca and Madrid could possibly play each other twice in January.

Wikipedia seem to have it differently although still avoiding a Real v Barca final

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Zenits next competitive game is against you, having a couple of months off with no competitive game who knows what they will be like? I wonder what Danny will be like considering he was a **** against us.

Somehow I completely missed that Sporting dropped points against Academica. I’m not sure how I missed that result but it just gives a bit more space between them and both of us.

Hmm.. Hulk to PSG, Guarin wanted by Juve and Walter off to Cruzeiro. Walter will be sure to leave during this next month. I feel a bit sorry for him with how things have gone, he should have been given a few more chances and VP has been unfair to him. But then Walter seems to have a load of “personal problems” too and just seems inevitable that he’ll leave now because he can which makes us need a striker even more than before!

Also, sad news about Eusebio too. Hopefully he’ll be okay and recover soon.
    Really? Their next match is against us? Hmmm.. interesting...

Its all just rumours though.. today they're saying PSG want Gaitan.. would be pretty cool to have both Hulk and Gaitan in the wings... Pastore through the middle.. PSG would have an amazing attack..

Walter will probably leave, yeh... shame because I thought he's pretty good..

Yep. Hopefully Eusebio makes a full recovery.

Ancelotti expected to be confirmed as new PSG manager

ReputationRep:
    Beckham, Kaka and Malouda to join him :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    PSG are going to be dominating French football for the next few years. Not because of these particular signings (though all of them are still quality, expect Kaka to find his form again), like Man City they have money to burn, and that league is not nearly as competitive (for such a team) as the PL is for City.

(Original post by Colbert)
    If that does happen, I expect Ligue 1 to become a one-team league for years to come. And I can see it happening, given the lure of working with Ancelotti.

Are the prize winnings of Ligue 1 particularly significant, does anyone know? What exactly are the owners of the club in for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    PSG are going to be dominating French football for the next few years. Not because of these particular signings (though all of them are still quality, expect Kaka to find his form again), like Man City they have money to burn, and that league is not nearly as competitive (for such a team) as the PL is for City.
    There is the case of a french dortmund coming out of nowhere so I wouldn't say it's definitely there's, but it's likely PSG will win this season and the next season until the likes of marseille, lyon and lille step up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    If that does happen, I expect Ligue 1 to become a one-team league for years to come. And I can see it happening, given the lure of working with Ancelotti.

Are the prize winnings of Ligue 1 particularly significant, does anyone know? What exactly are the owners of the club in for?
    I'm sure it's not going to be more than the PL. Ancelotti would probably focus on europe and beating barca than on the league since that would be a walk for him, then again he is one for bottling competitions, like chelsea last season PL and istanbul 05 so I fully expect them to win 2 or 3 leagues in a row but nothing more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Not a total surprise with Leonardo at the helm but Carlo said leaving Chelsea that he was going to take a year out and I wish he would do that as if as expected, Redknapp leaves Spurs for England, he could have a real opportunity to return to the EPL and manage a really talented side and get good support from the chairman.

What exactly are the owners of the club in for?
    A few articles by the Beeb which provide good insight: Leonardo's grand project for PSG

Qatari takeover heralds new dawn for Paris Saint-Germain

PSG would have been the ideal opportunity for the owners, it sounds to me a mix of political help from Sarkozy and just plain business pragmatism to buy a club which you can buy cheap, have success, make abit of money and like all football owners, have that "toy" to mess around with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    There is the case of a french dortmund coming out of nowhere so I wouldn't say it's definitely there's, but it's likely PSG will win this season and the next season until the likes of marseille, lyon and lille step up.
    What happened last season in the Bundesliga was a freak occurance. They are a top-half side in the Bundesliga, but with their financial issues in the last few years, and such a young squad, no-one could expect anything of them. Its nice to see.

Lyon and Marseille are the only two that can sustainably compete with PSG now. Lille were another freak occurance, with the young Hazard and Gervinho ripping up the French league. Hazard will not be there, come next season. Gervinho has already left.

ReputationRep:

I know that the wages in the French League are a pittance compared to that in the English league system which is why so many of them ply their trade over here - this may suggest that the prize money isn't as lucrative (the domestic TV money certainly doesn't compete).

It's also why, in general, the French players remain with their clubs (usually at Clairefontaine) until they reach 20-23 years old and then seek a move abroad (Ben Arfa, Sagna, Cabaye, Obertan, Ribery, Benzema...).

One of the big differences in Ligue 1 though is that it's a highly-competitive league, there are several teams who are more than capable of winning the league. Of course Lyon are always favourites, but if you look at the top 3 from the last 10 years there have been appearances by Lille, Marseille, Auxerre, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Monaco, PSG, Nantes and Lens - you can't really say the same for many of the top leagues in Europe - even the Bundesliga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    What happened last season in the Bundesliga was a freak occurance. They are a top-half side in the Bundesliga, but with their financial issues in the last few years, and such a young squad, no-one could expect anything of them. Its nice to see.

Lyon and Marseille are the only two that can sustainably compete with PSG now. Lille were another freak occurance, with the young Hazard and Gervinho ripping up the French league. Hazard will not be there, come next season. Gervinho has already left.
    Hmm, I would say lille will be europa league for the next few seasons, they're losing their best players I think.
    The french league is extremely competitive, I don't think PSG will be getting 95+ points every season. Lyon and marseille are always there challenging, with the odd appearance by bordeaux.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Not a total surprise with Leonardo at the helm but Carlo said leaving Chelsea that he was going to take a year out and I wish he would do that as if as expected, Redknapp leaves Spurs for England, he could have a real opportunity to return to the EPL and manage a really talented side and get good support from the chairman.

A few articles by the Beeb which provide good insight: Leonardo's grand project for PSG

Qatari takeover heralds new dawn for Paris Saint-Germain

PSG would have been the ideal opportunity for the owners, it sounds to me a mix of political help from Sarkozy and just plain business pragmatism to buy a club which you can buy cheap, have success, make abit of money and like all football owners, have that "toy" to mess around with.
    Hmm, that's pretty interesting, I do think PSG are definitely there to stay, they'll need to make a lot of money especially with fair play rules, but seeing as they're in the capital, it would be easy for them to get the money from gate receipts and TV viewing. That added with a team that can qualify for CL this season and possibly win the champions league in around 3 seasons at this rate. PSG will be a force in europe, much more than anzhi I think, who are just buying players past their peak or rejects from their club and not people who could win the champions league(besides jucilei) and more than malaga, who are unlucky to be in the same league as real madrid and barcelona but will compete in around 2-3 seasons with valencia when they get their new stadium.

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona will start charging people who want to see them train 5€.

That´s the true "Més que un club" spirit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catilina)

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/...aining-session

what are you on about ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    what are you on about ffs
    I´m just pointing out the hypocrisy of pretending to be "more than a club" while charging people 5 bucks who just want to see the team train ffs.

I´m just pointing out the hypocrisy of pretending to be "more than a club" while charging people 5 bucks who just want to see the team train ffs.
    I'd actually pay more than 10 if I had the opportunity. Or on second thought, I would probably be a club member anyway and would get in for free. 5 bucks is hardly anything ffs :facepalm2:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.