Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    The children are working above age related expectations in this school. I have decided to do something else though haha, decided it was a bit dull.

I am going to read the story Tiddler then stop when he gets caught and released into the middle of the ocean by himself. I am then going to do an activity using a big fish template where they are going to get into the character of Tiddler give me adjectives to describe what he is feeling (inside of fish) and what he can see/ hear/ touch/ smell/ taste (outside of fish).

I think it will be better as they have more involvement and I have 5 minutes at the end to tell the staff how I would extend it.

Thanks for your help
    I really like that idea, there are lots of places you can go from there. Can also get some great discussion out of it and it's a really good way to get them to consider others ideas (both the fish and their peers).

I was gonna say beware of getting KS1 to come up with rhyming words all on their own. This is a thing lots of them really struggle with for a long while for some reason. You get a few who can list them in nursery but some who aren't there till KS2. That's the nature of phase one... Its ongoing!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Fair enough. Solved the issue with a title change.
    I really liked the old title. but I agree with the reasons for having a more neutral title. Also, as one of the more positive posters on this thread, I don't think there needed to be anything different for positive comments. Such a big part of the PGCE is the difficulties and stress you face, and so much of the enjoyment comes from overcoming those (often after a significant battle) - sticking to one thread allows that journey to be expressed from beginning to end. And equally, where someone is completely stuck with how to deal with something, there should be more traffic if there's just one discussion thread for us to post on. Long story short - I agree with the changes made.

Back to school for the last week before the holidays this week. Annoyingly I've lost my Friday double periods two weeks in a row with my year 8 top sets (charity event last week and half day to finish school this one), which means I've had to squeeze a topic that was already behind schedule when I was given it into two lessons. On top of that, they're a class that can get a bit out of hand behaviour wise, and it's been difficult to instill my routine when I only see them for 50 minutes a week. For our last lesson on Tuesday I have a dissection planned for 2/3s of the class, and the remaining - chatty and disruptive - other pupils will be taking part in a writing activity. The reasons I have chosen the pupils who sit out will be made clear. I think for this class, it's make or break here - they'll either rebel massively and it'll be a real fight to get them back, or they'll realise that I mean business and come back from Easter in a less disruptive mood. Unfortunately, I know which outcome my money's on...

ReputationRep:
    Uni tutor coming tomorrow, feel so stressed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Uni tutor coming tomorrow, feel so stressed out.
    I feel you. Uni tutor visits are my least favourite part of the entire course because they hold all the power! It always seems they are 95% criticism and 5% praise too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I feel you. Uni tutor visits are my least favourite part of the entire course because they hold all the power! It always seems they are 95% criticism and 5% praise too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me about it. I got 24 hours notice for my last uni tutor observation, and it was on the last day of the placement! Nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Got another interview today. Little confused because it is next week - I thought all schools would be on easter break next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got another interview today. Little confused because it is next week - I thought all schools would be on easter break next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They vary. My school is on the cusp of 3 authorities and they are all different. Some have another week to go.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, I'm starting my placement next week! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    They vary. My school is on the cusp of 3 authorities and they are all different. Some have another week to go.

(Original post by alabelle)
    Nope, I'm starting my placement next week! Good luck.
    Ok thanks. I can't seem to find term dates on their website. I thought Easter was a bit like Christmas where the holidays are generally similar. I am off next week and am supposed to be away on the interview date, so it is a little annoying but oh well. I didn't think I'd get an interview so I'm quite pleased. I think my subject knowledge will let me down though.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The lesson and uni observation didn't go well, just when I thought I was doing a good job. I made some blinding mistakes too. I tried my damn best to keep it together all day as I had another lesson(double year 9-my hardest class) as well.

One thing is for certain, I definitely want to teach and I don't care if I have a hundred bad lessons, I just wanted THIS particular lesson to go smooth

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, I don't know what's wrong with me today...

You know those days where nothing went necessarily wrong, but you still wonder if you're any good at this teaching lark

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well done for getting the interview! That's half the battle.

I don't break up till next wednesday :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Eurgh, I don't know what's wrong with me today...

You know those days where nothing went necessarily wrong, but you still wonder if you're any good at this teaching lark
    Yeah....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    The lesson and uni observation didn't go well, just when I thought I was doing a good job. I made some blinding mistakes too. I tried my damn best to keep it together all day as I had another lesson(double year 9-my hardest class) as well.

One thing is for certain, I definitely want to teach and I don't care if I have a hundred bad lessons, I just wanted THIS particular lesson to go smooth
    Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. What did your uni tutor say about it? I'm never sure how much rides on our uni observations. Surely they can't assess us 100% on those?
    (Original post by Samus2)
    well done for getting the interview! That's half the battle.

I don't break up till next wednesday :')
    Thanks. I am quite interested in this job because it's part time which appeals to me. My application was absolutely awful though so I'm really surprised!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. What did your uni tutor say about it? I'm never sure how much rides on our uni observations. Surely they can't assess us 100% on those?
    He discussed what went wrong and what went well, but to be honest, It feels as if I am not improving although I know that in reality I am, but its hard to shake off that negative feeling.
    Eater Holiday can't come sooner.

ReputationRep:
    I turned down an interview for a job yesterday, and now I am stressing that I made a mistake, and that I will be kicking myself if I don't get another one. Although, to be honest one of the main reasons I applied was because I don't have a car at the moment and it is close to where I live.

It was a single form Primary, in a reasonable area, that has been given RI by Ofsted more than once. They've had a lot of Head teachers in a short space of time, and I just had a feeling in my gut that it would be more work than I could handle as an NQT. The job description also said that the person who got the job would be a subject leader. I also felt like I don't have enough experience yet to do a good lesson interview, as I only just started my second placement yet, and it was in a Key Stage that I haven't taught before.

Maybe I should have gone for the experience, but I thought that if I did a really bad lesson it would totally knock my confidence, which isn't exactly crash hot at the moment. Feeling really confused and beating myself up right now

Also, will the uni/placement school check if I attended the interview? I decided at the last minute not to attend yesterday, after being up half the night worrying about it. My school is over 45 minutes away and I have to get a lift with another student who is at a nearby school. They had obviously already left, and there is very little public transport.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting sicker by the day. Today I've just been coughing every couple of minutes and my head is just awful. Now I think the snotty nose and sneezing is setting in and I still refuse to call in sick. I have a lesson observation tomorrow and I'm overdue since I missed last week's for an appointment so I really need to get it completed tomorrow.

I want to curl into a ball and cry a bit today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm getting sicker by the day. Today I've just been coughing every couple of minutes and my head is just awful. Now I think the snotty nose and sneezing is setting in and I still refuse to call in sick. I have a lesson observation tomorrow and I'm overdue since I missed last week's for an appointment so I really need to get it completed tomorrow.

I want to curl into a ball and cry a bit today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've felt so run down today with a cold and felt like putting my head on the desk and sleeping but I have an observation tomorrow too. I am sitting in bed now with my laptop on my lap and still have no clue what I am going to teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've felt so run down today with a cold and felt like putting my head on the desk and sleeping but I have an observation tomorrow too. I am sitting in bed now with my laptop on my lap and still have no clue what I am going to teach.
    I battled through when I was ill on my last placement and now I wished I hadnt. I was not performing at my best and would probably have felt better if I had just admitted I needed a day off! I'm not saying you should take days off if you can't afford to but make sure you look after yourself!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    I think I'm going to have to admit defeat tomorrow take the day off if you need it too. Battling through helps nobody.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.