The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadab786ahmed
:rofl: :lol:

No, for architecture:

Mathematics, Physics, Art (anything else) at A2.
Further Maths AS

Would guarantee you a spot :wink:

Yes you would need physics... Architects need maths and physics... Structural engineers would use further maths as well..

I'm sorry but could you stop giving people bad advice please, you must have confused at least 4 people, on this thread alone. As your info page says you are only 15 and also have no idea what you're going on about, I really don't care if you neg me for this.

No actually architecture is a course where there are very few restrictions on what you HAVE to do either for GCSE or for AS/A2. A mixture of arts, science, humanities or maths is fine; it really doesn't matter too much. Maths and physics are NOT needed (except on occasion for two of over 40 architecture schools). Of course your formula wouldn't guarantee you a spot. Architecture is a competitive degree to get into, like many others of its kind, the grade you get in a subject is often more important than the subject itself, as universities generally don't lower their entry requirements. The fact that portfolios have such weighting for many courses clearly suggests that art A-level is important, so maths has very little to do with actually getting in.

Maths is used, a small amount in the course, but seems to be very basic, no harder than GCSE maths, and yes I have heard this from current students and practising architects. Generally everyone seems to agree that the engineers deal with the maths and the architects concentrate on design. I have got into Sheffield this year, for architecture that is WITHOUT having even a GCSE in physics, I hated it in year 9 and gave it up, later realised I wanted to do architecture, and it didn't matter. Also I have no A-level in maths, or further maths for that matter, but I did have art and I can't stress enough how important that was for portfolios.

Please anyone who is considering architecture don't get put off by what this person has said if you don't like maths, it isn't an issue.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It gets you one here, too :rolleyes: This thread gets getting closed for cleanup because people keep breaking da rulez, so Foreverstrong_97, please stop :colondollar: The emotes don't contribute much and the thread is at risk of being closed as it is.

OH ok fine Ill stop Sorry :biggrin: I dont want it to get cllosed :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Aah, yes... Urmmm... Hypothetically speaking, of course... I don't think it feels very nice :frown:

Oh you, I'd probably just feel down about messing up and after a bit of getting myself back together, inform somebody or whatever the procedure is.
Original post by Claire888
I'm sorry but could you stop giving people bad advice please, you must have confused at least 4 people, on this thread alone. As your info page says you are only 15 and also have no idea what you're going on about, I really don't care if you neg me for this.

No actually architecture is a course where there are very few restrictions on what you HAVE to do either for GCSE or for AS/A2. A mixture of arts, science, humanities or maths is fine; it really doesn't matter too much. Maths and physics are NOT needed (except on occasion for two of over 40 architecture schools). Of course your formula wouldn't guarantee you a spot. Architecture is a competitive degree to get into, like many others of its kind, the grade you get in a subject is often more important than the subject itself, as universities generally don't lower their entry requirements. The fact that portfolios have such weighting for many courses clearly suggests that art A-level is important, so maths has very little to do with actually getting in.

Maths is used, a small amount in the course, but seems to be very basic, no harder than GCSE maths, and yes I have heard this from current students and practising architects. Generally everyone seems to agree that the engineers deal with the maths and the architects concentrate on design. I have got into Sheffield this year, for architecture that is WITHOUT having even a GCSE in physics, I hated it in year 9 and gave it up, later realised I wanted to do architecture, and it didn't matter. Also I have no A-level in maths, or further maths for that matter, but I did have art and I can't stress enough how important that was for portfolios.

Please anyone who is considering architecture don't get put off by what this person has said if you don't like maths, it isn't an issue.

Oops! Ignore me then! I'm not going to neg you for telling the truth... And the person didnt want to go into architecture I gave the idea :colondollar:

Sorry! I know the portfolio is important but on the Cambridge it said Mathematics and Physics is essential which is why I said for Cambridge :smile:

Thanks for pointing it out...

And you didn't quote my posts where I said you could get in without maths...?

Also I think, even my Cambridge info. Is wrong... Must be trying tk.check ti many courses :facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5604
Pathology is cool! :biggrin: have you watched Silent Witness?

Yes! That and all of the CSI shows made me want to do it. Pathology would be a lot harder to get into and would require a lot of training in comparison to Computer Science :tongue:
Original post by foreverstrong_97
OH ok fine Ill stop ! :biggrin: I dont want it to get cllosed :colondollar:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by chloe--
Yes! That and all of the CSI shows made me want to do it. Pathology would be a lot harder to get into and would require a lot of training in comparison to Computer Science :tongue:

Don't you have to do medicine and go into pathology? Or something?
Thank you :smile:

You welcome! :h: You didnt need to ask I wasnt gonna carry on I knew it would cause something :colondollar: Sorry :smile:
Oops! Ignore me then! I'm not going to neg you for telling the truth... And the person didnt want to go into architecture I gave the idea :colondollar:

Sorry! I know the portfolio is important but on the Cambridge it said Mathematics and Physics is essential which is why I said for Cambridge :smile:

Thanks for pointing it out...

I totally said what she said :colonhash: But noooo, don't listen to Oscar :rofl:
I'm great, you? :smile:

I'm doing good :smile:
Reply 5610
Don't you have to do medicine and go into pathology? Or something?

Yep. 5 year Medical degree, then the 2 years Foundation degree, then 5 years training in pathology. So, 12 years, but you're paid for the last 7 (I think).

So it would mean completely changing my A-level choices :tongue:
Original post by foreverstrong_97
Yeah! :biggrin: :woo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(film_series)

Aww :frown: Im sorry :frown:...

Woohoo internet shows! :woo: ....Although they are Tv shows on the internet :colondollar: :tongue: :smug:
Yep! Is there a society for nerds?? :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::yep::u:

It's cool I guess :frown: *shrugs* What shows are you into?
There should be :biggrin: :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings::wings:
Original post by chloe--
Yep. 5 year Medical degree, then the 2 years Foundation degree, then 5 years training in pathology. So, 12 years, but you're paid for the last 7 (I think).

Awesome! :biggrin: ahah, I think what out me off pathology were the dead bodies in suitcases.. :tongue:
Original post by chloe--

Woooooow! 12 Years!!! :eek: Youll be like 30!!! :biggrin:
Original post by MangoFreak
I totally said what she said :colonhash: But noooo, don't listen to Oscar :rofl:

You still need the "mathematical skill to cope with the course" and I still think you need maths.. I wouldn't want an architect designing my house without maths or physics...

Let me look at loads of courses and tell you how many need maths...,it's more than 2.
Reply 5615
Awesome! :biggrin: ahah, I think what out me off pathology were the dead bodies in suitcases.. :tongue:

That didn't put me off :tongue: All the training (and somehow having to find funding for the fifth year) is what is putting me off.
Original post by chloe--

You can be a dentist and then proceed to be a Oral Pathologist or a Vet and then go on to be a Veterinary Pathologist
You still need the "mathematical skill to cope with the course" and I still think you need maths.. I wouldn't want an architect designing my house without maths or physics...

Let me look at loads of courses and tell you how many need maths...,it's more than 2.

But architects don't do the engineering! Engineers do! :lol:
Aw Ok, sorry :frown:
Original post by dinrah04
You can be a dentist and then proceed to be a Oral Pathologist or a Vet and then go on to be a Veterinary Pathologist

I just broke out giggling at "Oral Pathologist" :lol: :colone: :ninja:

Latest