Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is no doubt we need a centre back the only question is whether or not Ashley Williams is too expensive or good to be 4th choice, we are an injury or red card from having one centre back for the north London derby. Kos and Vermaelen are both susceptible to injury and the way mertesackers ankle popped on him wasn't exactly reassuring either. Remember last year we thought we might have to play Miguel or Sagna as cb vs Bayern Munich at one point till kos passed a late fitness test you can't be having situations like that when you can easily afford to pad out the squad properly it's stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    There is no doubt we need a centre back the only question is whether or not Ashley Williams is too expensive or good to be 4th choice, we are an injury or red card from having one centre back for the north London derby. Kos and Vermaelen are both susceptible to injury and the way mertesackers ankle popped on him wasn't exactly reassuring either. Remember last year we thought we might have to play Miguel or Sagna as cb vs Bayern Munich at one point till kos passed a late fitness test you can't be having situations like that when you can easily afford to pad out the squad properly it's stupid
    And what's gonna happen if they don't get injured in the next 2 months. Vermalean will come back and be our third choice again and the centre back we've bought probably won't even make it onto the bench so what's the point. We're better off just using sagna in any emergency situations. He's proved so far that he's reliable there. Buying a new experienced good cb just to be a back up to our back up who is only out for a couple of games max (games he probably wouldn't have played anyway) is not good for the long term. Especially if he's on high wages. In my opinion, we should either stick with what we've got, or sell miquel and buy a better young cb with potential which probably won't happen. Or buy a dm who can play as a cb in emergencies like luiz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    And what's gonna happen if they don't get injured in the next 2 months. Vermalean will come back and be our third choice again and the centre back we've bought probably won't even make it onto the bench so what's the point. We're better off just using sagna in any emergency situations. He's proved so far that he's reliable there. Buying a new experienced good cb just to be a back up to our back up who is only out for a couple of games max (games he probably wouldn't have played anyway) is not good for the long term. Especially if he's on high wages. In my opinion, we should either stick with what we've got, or sell miquel and buy a better young cb with potential which probably won't happen.
    When we have 2 games a week they will find playing time, especially when Vermaelen probably has to do some filling in at left back now and again, maybe Miquel can do the job but I would have kept djourou around just in case personally and now he's gone I would look at a new one. The wage structure is knackered and everyone gets the same so the potential wages of a new cb is a non issue really

ReputationRep:
    Breaking news - Wenger will sign no quality players. Just be patient and optimistic.

Keep faith in his lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    When we have 2 games a week they will find playing time, especially when Vermaelen probably has to do some filling in at left back now and again, maybe Miquel can do the job but I would have kept djourou around just in case personally and now he's gone I would look at a new one. The wage structure is knackered and everyone gets the same so the potential wages of a new cb is a non issue really
    We have 2 good quality left backs now so the chances that vermalean will have to fill in are extremely slim. So they will not find playing time. They are trying to improve the wage structure and that wont happen by paying a fourth choice centre back who barely plays the same as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute joke this glad I haven't bought any merchandise yet. We're not buying rooney suarez or higuain full stop, as if wenger would actually buy those players haha, they are too bigger names for wenger.

Would love to give those lot a punch in the face for the amount of lies they feed us, same old story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Why do you say that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Atleti are struggling financially to the point they had to sell their best player last season if you think that they'd be able to get arsenal's best player that's a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    We have 2 good quality left backs now so the chances that vermalean will have to fill in are extremely slim. So they will not find playing time. They are trying to improve the wage structure and that wont happen by paying a fourth choice centre back who barely plays the same as everyone else.
    2 good quality left backs one of which is a perma crock and even got injured yesterday in the friendly. If they wanted to improve the wage structure why put ox and Ramsey on 60 grand a week before the half way point of last season ? And Gibbs for that matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    Absolute joke this glad I haven't bought any merchandise yet. We're not buying rooney suarez or higuain full stop, as if wenger would actually buy those players haha, they are too bigger names for wenger.

Would love to give those lot a punch in the face for the amount of lies they feed us, same old story
    Do you think Arsenal will buy anyone of prominence? Even if we do, for sure we'll be doing so after the season has kicked off. Is Wenger actually becoming senile as so many suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thinking we don't need another decent cb is just small time mentality. No other top club would start a season with only two fit CBs. And that's why they cope with the heavy fixture list better than we do: quality in squad depth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Thinking we don't need another decent cb is just small time mentality. No other top club would start a season with only two fit CBs. And that's why they cope with the heavy fixture list better than we do: quality in squad depth!
    Barcelona do! :rofl:

Hence why we go into all this defensive problems because of no defenders.

Think Williams would do fine.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zyyz)

I can understand the delay as Arsenal had agreed a deal then Madrid suddenly hike the price up by £10m, it's worth seeing what else is out there. Few clubs wouldn't do the same and I can't see how Arsenal are at fault here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)

Apparently Madrid want £37m for Higuain. If that's true then I don't blame the club for refusing to pay well over his market value.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoad...g-alongside-it

ReputationRep:
    lots of talk here of williams being brought to be 4th choice CB..

really? - for me, on their respective forms last year, he is slightly above verm..

ReputationRep:
    Sign him up Wenger. :laugh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/v...team-bus-video

If Marquinhos were to go to PSG I would imagine that would not sit too well with Mamadou Sakho, I would like to see us take advantage of the opportunity should it arise tbh. He's versatile and can play his natural cb role or as an lb, he's abit too good for 4th choice, but we need quality choices imo. The situation will be different than it was with Ancelotti though, Blanc could see him as an important part of the squad despite his options.

ReputationRep:
    Happy Giroud is banging in some goals pre season even if they're against crap teams. Really want him to do well this season and prove all the haters wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    If Marquinhos were to go to PSG I would imagine that would not sit too well with Mamadou Sakho, I would like to see us take advantage of the opportunity should it arise tbh. He's versatile and can play his natural cb role or as an lb, he's abit too good for 4th choice, but we need quality choices imo. The situation will be different than it was with Ancelotti though, Blanc could see him as an important part of the squad despite his options.
    Sakho has been absolutely atrocious last season. You don't want him based on this form...

ReputationRep:
    man city sign jovetic..

Kinda slightly disapointed even though realistically he was probably never a target..

But city + chelsea are now looking very strong..

arsenal really are going to have to step things up

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.