Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GalBal)
    Would a drop of 1 or 2% from 66.5% be worrying?

Thanks!
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    No. In my experience as long as you're consistently at a 2:1 (i.e. 60+) with the odd slip down into the 2:2 range, you are fine at most firms as some uni departments may mark harsher than others, people do different modules etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay cool, thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone know how long it'll take to hear back from the Government Legal Department VS? I sent in my email and didn't even get any confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_haze)
    Hey does anyone know how long it'll take to hear back from the Government Legal Department VS? I sent in my email and didn't even get any confirmation.
    I sent an application to and I got no email either! It closed last Wednesday so hopefully soon....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetfordkid0)
    Hey Barclays legal exp week guys, has anyone been contacted since the email invitation for the telephone interview? It said "You will shortly be contacted regarding the next stage of the process" but I haven't had any contact since... Thanks!
    Nothing yet! Hopefully something by tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done Barclays guys! I still haven't heard anything so I'm assuming I haven't got through.. Although this is so past the deadline so who knows!

Good job though!

ReputationRep:
    I got an email from Barclays and have my telephone interview scheduled for the end of the week. No idea what to expect! It's my first telephone interview as well.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got an interview date for Gibson Dunn yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bman1992)
    Has anybody got an interview date for Gibson Dunn yet?
    My friend is interviewing today.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that the competivness of training contracts is/should be enough to put someone off pursuing a career as a solicitor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Would you say that the competivness of training contracts is/should be enough to put someone off pursuing a career as a solicitor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How competitive it is for YOU to get a TC depends on many factors.

If you're Oxbridge and have an interesting backstory/some extra curricular, a TC isn't that hard to get. Same applies to a lesser extent for the likes of LSE and Durham.

The lower down the rankings you go, the more your personal qualities matter.

I wouldn't let competition put you off, just focus on getting good grades at GCSE first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillieXYZ)
    How competitive it is for YOU to get a TC depends on many factors.

If you're Oxbridge and have an interesting backstory/some extra curricular, a TC isn't that hard to get. Same applies to a lesser extent for the likes of LSE and Durham.

The lower down the rankings you go, the more your personal qualities matter.

I wouldn't let competition put you off, just focus on getting good grades at GCSE first.
    Ok thank you, I'm hoping to attend a good RG like Bristol or Warwick, and I have quite a good range of extra curricular (sport, charity, work experience) but the idea of having no guarentee of a good job worries me somewhat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Ok thank you, I'm hoping to attend a good RG like Bristol or Warwick, and I have quite a good range of extra curricular (sport, charity, work experience) but the idea of having no guarentee of a good job worries me somewhat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no guarantee of anything in life though. Getting a law degree from Bristol or Warwick will open a lot of doors to various careers (not just the legal profession), especially if you do well in that degree and build up your CV over the 3/4 years that you are there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    applied for a mayer brown TC ages ago and have heard nothing back. am I to presume it's bad news? or are they just more intent on sorting their vac schemes atm? if anyone could shed some light, would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillieXYZ)
    My friend is interviewing today.
    Without revealing too much, do you know how your friend got on?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from the GLD about its vacation scheme? I'm not sure how much longer I can go checking my emails every ten minutes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim2222)
    Has anyone heard from the GLD about its vacation scheme? I'm not sure how much longer I can go checking my emails every ten minutes!
    I'm waiting still to!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Quite disappointing... got offered a vac scheme but it clashes with my exams and there are no alternative weeks :/ they did say they will still consider me for a TC..just hope they remain interested!

ReputationRep:
    TC at Clyde & Co

ReputationRep:
    Anybody still waiting on VWV? Presuming it must be a PFO by now...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.