Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemunch12)
    How difficult was ar? I seem to be doing well on Medify but even when i run out of time, i guess the shapes just by looking at them and comparing them to set a and b and still get them right. I dont know if im getting lucky. Also there are some shapes which are exactly the same as the ones in set a or b.
    Yeah i guess them and get them right too. I just look and i'm like okay theres three shapes in this one and four in the other when in fact the rule is 7 sides all together and the black shapes count as half the value as the white shapes, lol they should do it so you have some answers/boxes in examples which apply one rule and not the other so we know something is different if u get me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Yeah i guess them and get them right too. I just look and i'm like okay theres three shapes in this one and four in the other when in fact the rule is 7 sides all together and the black shapes count as half the value as the white shapes, lol they should do it so you have some answers/boxes in examples which apply one rule and not the other so we know something is different if u get me
    Nah they should keep it like that so we get easy marks lol. 55 questions in 13 minutes is ridiculous so imagine if there was a complex rule for each set.

ReputationRep:
    Nah they should keep it like that so we get easy marks lol. 55 questions in 13 minutes is ridiculous so imagine if there was a complex rule for each set.
    Yeah i meant on medify so it's good practice lol because i doubt it's gonna be like that in real one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, any recommendation on Med schools I can apply for with these stats :o:
    GCSEs: 13A*s
    A2 Predictions: 3A*s, 1A (A in AS Maths - 94UMS average)
    UKCAT: VR 560, QR 740, AR 610 ... Average 637

W/exp: 2 weeks in India, 3 weeks in uk

Voluntary: 8 months in old age care home in year 11 .... would this still count and can i put it on my personal statement?

Thank in advance for any advice given xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyaG)
    Hi guys, any recommendation on Med schools I can apply for with these stats :o:
    GCSEs: 13A*s
    A2 Predictions: 3A*s, 1A (A in AS Maths - 94UMS average)
    UKCAT: VR 560, QR 740, AR 610 ... Average 637

W/exp: 2 weeks in India, 3 weeks in uk

Voluntary: 8 months in old age care home in year 11 .... would this still count and can i put it on my personal statement?

Thank in advance for any advice given xx
    Bristol, birmingham, ucl, imperial, cardiff, exeter, oxbridge, literally anywhere which allows ur ukcat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Bristol, birmingham, ucl, imperial, cardiff, exeter, oxbridge, literally anywhere which allows ur ukcat
    Thanks Squishy! I just can't decide between oxford and Cambridge as I want oxbridge to be my first choice. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    for QR are there going to be any topics which aren't on medify already?? so will any unexpected topics come up?

ReputationRep:
    i am getting seriously low marks in VR for the mocks. can someone pleasee give any advice on how to improve in this area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    i am getting seriously low marks in VR for the mocks. can someone pleasee give any advice on how to improve in this area?
    Do you struggle more with timing or the questions? Also have you been converting your marks to scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Do you struggle more with timing or the questions? Also have you been converting your marks to scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you convert your marks to scores? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How do you convert your marks to scores? Thanks!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474661440.452071.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  149.3 KB here you go this is from the Kaplan book I have 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyaG)
    Thanks Squishy! I just can't decide between oxford and Cambridge as I want oxbridge to be my first choice. Any advice?
    Good gcses? Oxford.

Otherwise... Cambridge (you need 2 A*s though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    If you're struggling to answer the VR questions, focus on quickly reading and understanding the passage before you answer questions esp if they're not T/F/CT. Guess the rest if you have time. Alternatively, if the passage looks hard flag it and move onto another one. You're better off getting 3/5 of all VR right than rushing through all of them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who took the UKCAT recently, is there more T/F/CT questions vs the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DogTheDoctor)
    Anyone who took the UKCAT recently, is there more T/F/CT questions vs the other?
    Less T/F/CT. Generally you'll get 3/4 sets of T/F/CT and the rest type 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I took my UKCAT yesterday morning and got an average of 747:

640 VR
    850 QR
    750 AR
    Band 2 SJ

Would anyone know if this score is competitive for graduate entry medicine? or indeed normal entry?
    As this will likely be my last attempt to get into medicine, are there any universities where i would be likely to get an interview with this score?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GavinJR)
    Hi guys,

640 VR
    850 QR
    750 AR
    Band 2 SJ

Would anyone know if this score is competitive for graduate entry medicine? or indeed normal entry?
    As this will likely be my last attempt to get into medicine, are there any universities where i would be likely to get an interview with this score?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
    Good job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Just try and start again. Forget how you've been doing and just practice questions and then start doing intense time practice. VR for me was harder in the exam but you never know you could get quite a lot of t/f/can't tell and find it absolutely fine! Just keep practicing and it'll improve your timing quite a bit and don't be afraid to guess and flag the hard questions. There's only so much you can do, just be confident on the day and know you've done all you can. 😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In what way was QR easier in the exam? Because I just did the Mock B on UKCAT website and did sooooo bad :'(. This started off as my best section but even on Medify I do terrible now!?!? Your scores were so much better than my practice scores!!!! I struggle for timing a fair bit on that section but the questions I just find really difficult tbh, going to make me sound stupid on tsr lol

I hate this exam so much. I have always been a straight A student with the highest possible grades and this is the first exam to really mess me up. And badly too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

640 VR
    850 QR
    750 AR
    Band 2 SJ

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
    That's a great score! I'd say interviews at Warwick , Barts (assuming you have a 1st) and Newcastle are very likely.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Gavin,

That's a good score for GEM and the normal entry course as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you prep for the VR section, in particular the comprehension type questions? I'm struggling to get a decent score in that section.

Thanks

Hi guys,

640 VR
    850 QR
    750 AR
    Band 2 SJ

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.