Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not when it means my death being used as a political football

Given that almost twice as many people didn't believe George's threats as those who did, and I imagine the majority of those who did believe it are going to be the more hardline remainers, I think we can say it failed, it's not even hard to shoot down the suggestion.
    *shrug* That's your opinion which you're entitled too. I'd love to crush my enemies one last time.

Again, *shrug* There's only one poll that matters. But I do think that your campaigns lies are generally more persuasive - they're more flamboyant after all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Again, can apply the same logic to Scotland and you don't want them to leave do you?
    Also judges should never have the interests of the country in mind... They should be following the letter and spirit of the law and that's it.
    Scotland is different because there is a stronger cultural link, and the highest court for dealing with civil cases in Scotland is based in Scotland. EU law is not always clear, meaning European judges need to make an interpretation of what the law is, judges making an interpretation should have the interest of Britain in their mind when making that interpretation but that is not always true, there have been situations where a law is interpreted in a way that does not benefit Britain, nor the people in Britain.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Scotland is different because there is a stronger cultural link, and the highest court for dealing with civil cases in Scotland is based in Scotland. EU law is not always clear, meaning European judges need to make an interpretation of what the law is, judges making an interpretation should have the interest of Britain in their mind when making that interpretation but that is not always true, there have been situations where a law is interpreted in a way that does not benefit Britain, nor the people in Britain.
    But Scottish courts can be overruled by the Supreme Court in London...

Ano no they shouldn't have the interests of the country at heart... They should do what they belive the law says they should do. Politics and patriotism (aside from the latter being awful) should never enter the judiciary.

ReputationRep:
    The remain campaign is using Cox's death because they can, and leave cannot advantageously use it. The equivalent for leavers would be the terrorist attacks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The remain campaign is using Cox's death because they can, and leave cannot advantageously use it. The equivalent for leavers would be the terrorist attacks.
    The merest suggestion that Farage might possibly be using terrorism to his advantage and he gets attacked by print and social media; remain do the same with Cox, and social and print media help them

ReputationRep:
    The merest suggestion that Farage might possibly be using terrorism to his advantage and he gets attacked by print and social media; remain do the same with Cox, and social and print media help them
    sources please, also, wouldn't put it past the DM/Express nutjobs to leave it until the final day.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    sources please, also, wouldn't put it past the DM/Express nutjobs to leave it until the final day.
    It was the DM (well, technically SM) that were starting it all

Oh, and the Telegraph who allowed Cameron to write a piece about her which very very quickly turned into why we should vote remain
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    George has joined in on the "hmmm, one of our allies has been murdered, how can I use this to win votes?"

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeOsbor...42069725833005
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I choose not to get involved in MHoC debates because they're a waste of time. There's no point debating with people who are unwilling and unable to change their mind no matter what argument or facts they're faced with. But this isn't relevant to this thread.
    So you openly claim to have no interest in this place, so why bother staying? Why bother with the occasional vote or being an MP given that those are the parts that are just on the side and not really the objective of this place?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    So you openly claim to have no interest in this place, so why bother staying? Why bother with the occasional vote or being an MP given that those are the parts that are just on the side and not really the objective of this place?
    I didn't say I had no interest in the MHoC, just that it's useless trying to debate with people who care more about winning an argument than they do facts.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    George has joined in on the "hmmm, one of our allies has been murdered, how can I use this to win votes?"

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeOsbor...42069725833005
    Absolutely shameless - I'm hoping both he and Cameron stand down as soon as possible after the poll (I accept for stability if we leave, Cameron may have to stay in the short term.).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Gisla Stuart on BBC breakfast just said we don't have control over our taxes!!! Other than the 5% minimum VAT we have complete control:lol:

And her saying "you can get rid of people you don't like" well... we can do that now... it's just as bad as Scotland or even Cornwall whining that they get outvoted in Westminster!!! I'm almost certain some of these people want things to go back to lots of tiny city states

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Gisla Stuart on BBC breakfast just said we don't have control over our taxes!!! Other than the 5% minimum VAT we have complete control:lol:

And her saying "you can get rid of people you don't like" well... we can do that now... it's just as bad as Scotland or even Cornwall whining that they get outvoted in Westminster!!! I'm almost certain some of these people want things to go back to lots of tiny city states

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Greek polis model may be ideal for some of these Brexit campaigners then...

ReputationRep:
    Baroness Warsi switches from leave to remain today.
    In fairness I didn't even realise she was leave, she's hardly said anything at all about the debate.

Me thinks Davey C's asked her for a favour.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    In fairness I didn't even realise she was leave, she's hardly said anything at all about the debate.

I love the quote from Leave saying "We don't remember Warsi ever joining our campaign".
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

I wasn't sure she was actually leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Such as....
    Also it's not true that judges must have 'the interests of Britain at heart'
    The primary role of judges, including our own is to uphold the rule of law, protect human rights and civil liberties.

Besides 'interests of Britain' is an inherently vague and ambiguous term. My interest are different to yours which are are different to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I love the quote from Leave saying "We don't remember Warsi ever joining our campaign".
    I really can't remember anything she said about it prior today.
    However I do have a lot of respect for her recently after she called out Goldsmith and Cameron for their dog whistle racism/bigotry in the London Mayoral election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Finally somebody on the remain side accepting it's likely personal gain rather than a genuine change. Both her and the last one cited as their reasons for changing side things that art actually just reasons to change campaign on the same side, hell, Warsi here is simply saying "I'm changing because of a few people on the leave side"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, Corbyn- the Eurosceptic is doing a q and a tonight.

First question will be along the lines of 'you'd always opposed it, why the sudden change?'

Also predict someone will ask why he wants to be part of an organisation that has imposed such brutal austerity on Greece.

Expect the party line and standard answer to be '........... in a reformed European Union'

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.