Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    I turned down an interview for a job yesterday, and now I am stressing that I made a mistake, and that I will be kicking myself if I don't get another one. Although, to be honest one of the main reasons I applied was because I don't have a car at the moment and it is close to where I live.

It was a single form Primary, in a reasonable area, that has been given RI by Ofsted more than once. They've had a lot of Head teachers in a short space of time, and I just had a feeling in my gut that it would be more work than I could handle as an NQT. The job description also said that the person who got the job would be a subject leader. I also felt like I don't have enough experience yet to do a good lesson interview, as I only just started my second placement yet, and it was in a Key Stage that I haven't taught before.

Maybe I should have gone for the experience, but I thought that if I did a really bad lesson it would totally knock my confidence, which isn't exactly crash hot at the moment. Feeling really confused and beating myself up right now

Also, will the uni/placement school check if I attended the interview? I decided at the last minute not to attend yesterday, after being up half the night worrying about it. My school is over 45 minutes away and I have to get a lift with another student who is at a nearby school. They had obviously already left, and there is very little public transport.
    I have backed out of an interview to so I feel your uncertainty!

I too am wondering if school will find out as I haven't told them yet. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yet another day of feeling pretty poo about the whole thing.
    I want to see this course through to the end even though I'm not going on to NQT but it's hard to keep up the enthusiasm for something I've decided not to do after the course.
    Problem is, I don't know whether to tell my Placement school that I decided not to do my NQT, my mentor occasionally makes comment like "when you have your own class next year..." and I wonder whether I should correct her, or whether it'd just make things more uncomfortable as they could be like, well, why are we bothering with you then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Yet another day of feeling pretty poo about the whole thing.
    I want to see this course through to the end even though I'm not going on to NQT but it's hard to keep up the enthusiasm for something I've decided not to do after the course.
    Problem is, I don't know whether to tell my Placement school that I decided not to do my NQT, my mentor occasionally makes comment like "when you have your own class next year..." and I wonder whether I should correct her, or whether it'd just make things more uncomfortable as they could be like, well, why are we bothering with you then!
    I have this issue! Whenever I get comments like that I just go along with them and don't say anything. Let me know if you do tell them the situation though. I love my mentor and she's very maternal, I'd love to tell her the truth but I worry they won't take me seriously anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I have this issue! Whenever I get comments like that I just go along with them and don't say anything. Let me know if you do tell them the situation though. I love my mentor and she's very maternal, I'd love to tell her the truth but I worry they won't take me seriously anymore.
    Ah, see i dont particularly like my placement 2 school and my mentor scares me as shes really stern. I figure telling them might just make the situation worse. Only 6 weeks left thank god!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    I turned down an interview for a job yesterday, and now I am stressing that I made a mistake, and that I will be kicking myself if I don't get another one. Although, to be honest one of the main reasons I applied was because I don't have a car at the moment and it is close to where I live.

It was a single form Primary, in a reasonable area, that has been given RI by Ofsted more than once. They've had a lot of Head teachers in a short space of time, and I just had a feeling in my gut that it would be more work than I could handle as an NQT. The job description also said that the person who got the job would be a subject leader. I also felt like I don't have enough experience yet to do a good lesson interview, as I only just started my second placement yet, and it was in a Key Stage that I haven't taught before.

Maybe I should have gone for the experience, but I thought that if I did a really bad lesson it would totally knock my confidence, which isn't exactly crash hot at the moment. Feeling really confused and beating myself up right now

Also, will the uni/placement school check if I attended the interview? I decided at the last minute not to attend yesterday, after being up half the night worrying about it. My school is over 45 minutes away and I have to get a lift with another student who is at a nearby school. They had obviously already left, and there is very little public transport.
    Obviously only you can decide but from what you've said it sounds like you've made a good choice. I've heard from several sources that an RI school is not a good place to be an NQT, not necessarily because its a 'worse' school but because the pressure and monitoring is so harsh that it just adds to the stress/workload plus stops you being allowed to try things out as an NQT, along with a lot less attention on supporting you. This is demonstrated already in the fact you'd have to be a subject leader, a role not normally given to NQTs unless the school is really small.

I really hate the whole experience of applying for jobs so I wouldn't go through it unless I really wanted a job.

The school might find out, if the heads or teachers are in touch. I would just mention it so you're covered. Someone is bound to ask how the interview went and you can say and explain then, and if not bring it up at lunch or something.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Called in sick my lungs crackle when I breathe and I've been up all night because everything hurts.

And I still feel guilty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Now to actually pass the PGCE..

ReputationRep:
    Advice please:

I have an interview next week for something I'm quite interested in . However it involves moving away and it's quite low hours.

Today I saw a job advertised that I also reallly interested in. It is in my town so I wouldn't have to move and it's more hours.

I'm in a dilemma. If I attend next week's interview and get offered it I won't want to turn it down. However I really want this newer job. Applications for that job don't shut for a month, so I don't even know if I'll get interviewed.

I don't know what to do! Should I not go to next week's interview in the hope that I'll get an interview for the newer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Happy birthday and congrats! !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Had the day and spent the whole time working on my folders. I wish I could have just slept through but the guilt was strong.

I now have two observations tomorrow and I also need to record myself teaching by Friday. I'm hoping that throwing smoothies and codeine into my system will at least ease the aches. If I could just breathe without my muscles screaming then I'd feel so much better. I have a trip on Friday that I need to be fit for too so that I can get a bit more TS8 evidence.

Happy birthday and congrats! I really need to get applying to jobs. I'm just putting it off at this point

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Feeling really positive right now and hope you will soon too!!

Advice please:

I have an interview next week for something I'm quite interested in . However it involves moving away and it's quite low hours.

Today I saw a job advertised that I also reallly interested in. It is in my town so I wouldn't have to move and it's more hours.

I'm in a dilemma. If I attend next week's interview and get offered it I won't want to turn it down. However I really want this newer job. Applications for that job don't shut for a month, so I don't even know if I'll get interviewed.

I don't know what to do! Should I not go to next week's interview in the hope that I'll get an interview for the newer job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Am I right in thinking these aren't teaching jobs? How would you feel about moving for so few hours? I think moving for not many hours would rule that job out for me, personally, but it depends what you're looking for!

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Happy birthday and congrats! I really need to get applying to jobs. I'm just putting it off at this point
    I'd apply even just to get experience to be honest! The interviews were tough at first because the format is not what I'm used to.

ReputationRep:

Woo hoo! That is great news, very inspiring, and what a great day for it to happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That's fantastic, congratulations! And happy birthday!

---

I'm feeling rather fed up with the whole jobs thing right now to be honest! I've applied for two unsuccessfully so far and really just want to get an interview! I rang the school I was most interested in tonight to see if they had any feedback, but the head was in a meeting and although the receptionist said the head would ring me back, I've heard nothing. Really de-motivated!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Advice please:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally, I'd say go to the interview. At worst it's good experience, but at best you'll be really surprised and really want to work there. If not, then when offered a job, just turn it down.

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that. What did your uni tutor say about it? I'm never sure how much rides on our uni observations. Surely they can't assess us 100% on those?

Thanks. I am quite interested in this job because it's part time which appeals to me. My application was absolutely awful though so I'm really surprised!
    We've been told that if an observation goes badly they'll speak with your mentor and ask if that was par for the course. If not then it's likely they'll just want to see another one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Feeling really positive right now and hope you will soon too!!

Am I right in thinking these aren't teaching jobs? How would you feel about moving for so few hours? I think moving for not many hours would rule that job out for me, personally, but it depends what you're looking for!

I'd apply even just to get experience to be honest! The interviews were tough at first because the format is not what I'm used to.
    They are teaching jobs, hence the dilemma (I think giving back word on accepted jobs is worse with teaching). I wasn't planning on moving for the whole week. I'd sort of split my time...hoping that the hours were over two consecutive days. I just love the subject and the college that this particular job is at.

I guess basically what I'm wondering is would anyone here back out of an accepted job in order to take another one? :ninja: The rest of the trainees at my school said they would and you have to think of yourself, but obviously current staff and my uni it is an adamant no.

ReputationRep:
    They are teaching jobs, hence the dilemma (I think giving back word on accepted jobs is worse with teaching). I wasn't planning on moving for the whole week. I'd sort of split my time...hoping that the hours were over two consecutive days. I just love the subject and the college that this particular job is at.

I guess basically what I'm wondering is would anyone here back out of an accepted job in order to take another one? :ninja: The rest of the trainees at my school said they would and you have to think of yourself, but obviously current staff and my uni it is an adamant no.
    We have been told this would ruin our reputation in teaching for the area the school was in. Obviously take that with a pinch of salt, but I think most people are told this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    We have been told this would ruin our reputation in teaching for the area the school was in. Obviously take that with a pinch of salt, but I think most people are told this.

Well, it is incredibly unprofessional to accept a job and then back out... Schools in local areas are also in touch - that's how I got my job because I was mentioned after an unsuccessful interview in a headteachers meeting and was subsequently offered an interview from another school...

Just think about it as well - school's have to pay a small fortune to advertise on sites (TES, Guardian jobs etc), so to advertise and then hire someone who backs out of the job is also putting the school in a difficult situation.

It sounds like you're not really too sure about this job - I would still attend the interview, but then at the interview (when they ask you about if you still want the job) I'd just say, 'Thank you for inviting me to an interview, but I don't feel as though this school is the right school for me and my professional development'

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Samus2)
    Well, it is incredibly unprofessional to accept a job and then back out... Schools in local areas are also in touch - that's how I got my job because I was mentioned after an unsuccessful interview in a headteachers meeting and was subsequently offered an interview from another school...

Just think about it as well - school's have to pay a small fortune to advertise on sites (TES, Guardian jobs etc), so to advertise and then hire someone who backs out of the job is also putting the school in a difficult situation.

It sounds like you're not really too sure about this job - I would still attend the interview, but then at the interview (when they ask you about if you still want the job) I'd just say, 'Thank you for inviting me to an interview, but I don't feel as though this school is the right school for me and my professional development'
    Gah, I'm so torn. I have half of people telling me not to do it because it is unprofessional and word spreads etc etc, then half of people telling me I need to do what is best for myself. Because it is not in my local area, I am not as worried about the word spreading, but I am more worried about admitting to my mentor that I backed away from a job, and I'd also feel awful for the college. I do like the job. The only reason I don't seem sure about it is because something better has come up. It's not that I don't want it, I'd just prefer the other one. I'll have a think.

Normally I'd go just for the experience but because it is so far away, I'd have to stay overnight and get there (money...), I was also supposed to be on holiday that day, so if I decide not to bother with the job I won't be going to the interview. Too much money just for the experience.

ReputationRep:
    Gah, I'm so torn. I have half of people telling me not to do it because it is unprofessional and word spreads etc etc, then half of people telling me I need to do what is best for myself. Because it is not in my local area, I am not as worried about the word spreading, but I am more worried about admitting to my mentor that I backed away from a job, and I'd also feel awful for the college. I do like the job. The only reason I don't seem sure about it is because something better has come up. It's not that I don't want it, I'd just prefer the other one. I'll have a think.

Normally I'd go just for the experience but because it is so far away, I'd have to stay overnight and get there (money...), I was also supposed to be on holiday that day, so if I decide not to bother with the job I won't be going to the interview. Too much money just for the experience.
    Of course you should do what's right for you... but, if you are having doubts because something better has come up - then that probably is a sign that the job isn't the right one for you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take it with a pinch of salt. The etiquette of teaching job acceptance is real and strict.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.