Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back from Shearman and Sterling re: open day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    Anyone heard back from Shearman and Sterling re: open day?
    I haven't either but the deadline for applications doesn't close until 31st may so it will be unlikely to hear back before then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I received a PFO from a large regional firm that read "although we were very interested in your application we are unable to offer you a vacation scheme place. We would like to stress there is no bar for you to apply for a Training Contract". I'm assuming this is a generic PFO that everyone gets.

Has anyone had a similar rejection & then gone on to apply for a TC with any luck? Just a bit confused as if my application isn't good enough for a Vacation Scheme it's definately not good enough for a TC?!

ReputationRep:
    What is Hill Dickinson like as a firm and its competivness, I have a friend who works there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    What is Hill Dickinson like as a firm and its competivness, I have a friend who works there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Liverpool office btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawStudent30)
    I received a PFO from a large regional firm that read "although we were very interested in your application we are unable to offer you a vacation scheme place. We would like to stress there is no bar for you to apply for a Training Contract". I'm assuming this is a generic PFO that everyone gets.

Has anyone had a similar rejection & then gone on to apply for a TC with any luck? Just a bit confused as if my application isn't good enough for a Vacation Scheme it's definately not good enough for a TC?!
    It basically means that you need to rework your answers to their questions as your form didn't quite meet their standard this time round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still haven't heard from GLD re its Summer Vac Scheme - anyone heard anything?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim2222)
    Still haven't heard from GLD re its Summer Vac Scheme - anyone heard anything?!
    I haven't heard anything either! I applied for the VS back in 2013 and it took them 2 months to send a rejection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fullup)
    I haven't heard anything either! I applied for the VS back in 2013 and it took them 2 months to send a rejection
    Two months?! Oh dear! I better stop checking my emails then :s

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard back from mishcon post AC? you know how long it takes?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back since the phone interviews for Barclays w/ex??

ReputationRep:
    Anybody have any experience of a Watson Farley & Williams AC? I have mine next week and don't really know what to expect any hints would be greatly appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBoy 12)
    Anybody have any experience of a Watson Farley & Williams AC? I have mine next week and don't really know what to expect any hints would be greatly appreciated?
    Drop me a message I'll get back to you in the next couple of days x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else attending Shearman Open Day on the 17th?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iano101)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am!

ReputationRep:
    Just got a briefing letter for one of my vac schemes and looks like the amount of 'work' is minimal.

(not complaining..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    Just got a briefing letter for one of my vac schemes and looks like the amount of 'work' is minimal.

(not complaining..)
    Which firm is that for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)

(not complaining..)
    Good vac schemers tend to keep themselves busy by finding work to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iano101)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by camaieu)
    I am!

Me too! Have you been to any other Open Days? This is my first one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Good vac schemers tend to keep themselves busy by finding work to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I didn't mean to come across work-shy. It does not seem structured in a way that you will have much time or need to go searching for work assuming your supervisor gives you the bare minimum to do.

Just noting that out of the ten days, about 5/6 will be dedicated to replicating 'life as a trainees'. (i.e being at your desk for the majority of the 9-5 period...still some disruption to those days.)

With the remaining days, frequent workshops/lunches/negotiation exercises/seminars/group projects just suggested that you wouldn't really be able to get into any real pattern/consistency during the scheme. Quite often, I'll be at my desk for 2 hours, going to a event, rinse and repeat.

I'm assuming that all these events/seminars will all shape the decision making process, so won't see this as an opportunity to relax. I'm guessing things like going to lunch with three partners will be able to have a big swing on proceedings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.