Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    I genuinely do not know which "country" you are referring to.

Out of which country, do the Palestine's want to carve out their state?
    You defined a country as "the territory of a nation/state". This is somewhat vague and I understood it to mean that a country is any area of land controlled by a nation or state. Is that what you intended? Help me out here by tightening your definition so that we can usefully discuss it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malorys ballsack)
    Lol at you lot not realising it had another meaning. Galloway is playing on the anti-Semitism of his Muslim constituents the fact he's even an MP should demonstrate how nutty these people are.
    Yes Israel is a Jewish state but it is not anti-Semitic to say you don't like Israel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    A geopolitical entity

I could ask you a similar question, if Norfolk isn't a country what is it?

Answer: A county

My point being that not everything which exists is a country (should sound obvious to the point of being patronising)
    :facepalm:

Mandatory Palestine being a geopolitical entity does not mean that it cannot be a county, city or a country.

But it seems you want to go about this in a roundabout way so I'll oblige:

What kind of geopolitical entity is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    You defined a country as "the territory of a nation/state". This is somewhat vague and I understood it to mean that a country is any area of land controlled by a nation or state. Is that what you intended? Help me out here by tightening your definition so that we can usefully discuss it.
    Listen man, just state the country and whatever arguments you want to put forward and we'll work with them together.

As I've indicated to you before on that little challenge you gave me, I'm happy to be flexible...

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Mandatory Palestine being a geopolitical entity does not mean that it cannot be a county, city or a country.

But it seems you want to go about this in a roundabout way so I'll oblige:

What kind of geopolitical entity is it?
    A mandate (that is what it would have been) hence Mandatory Palestine

ReputationRep:
    A mandate (that is what it would have been) hence Mandatory Palestine
    That seems reasonable. And I suppose this (Mandatory Palestine) was the under the purview of the predecessor to the UN, the League of Nations, correct?

ReputationRep:
    Listen man, just state the country and whatever arguments you want to put forward and we'll work with them together.

As I've indicated to you before on that little challenge you gave me, I'm happy to be flexible...
    Using the generally understood definition of the word, the Palestinians (at least some of them) want a State from land that is not currently part of any country. Using that same definition Israel was formed out of land that was not part of any country.

But you seemed to disagree with the second sentence above which indicates that you have a different definition of the word "country" such that somehow the British Mandate becomes a country. According to that definition it would seem more than likely that the land the Palestinians want for their state would come from the country of Israel. But since you seem incredibly reluctant to provide a usable definition I can only speculate.

ReputationRep:
    That seems reasonable. And I suppose this (Mandatory Palestine) was the under the purview of the predecessor to the UN, the League of Nations, correct?
    Yes this is correct.

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is correct.
    But then this doesn't make sense:

"A League of Nations mandate was a legal status for certain territories transferred from the control of one country to another following World War I"

If it was a mandate and not a country as you are claiming, then why did they write "country"?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Using the generally understood definition of the word, the Palestinians (at least some of them) want a State from land that is not currently part of any country. Using that same definition Israel was formed out of land that was not part of any country.
    How so?

But you seemed to disagree with the second sentence above which indicates that you have a different definition of the word "country" such that somehow the British Mandate becomes a country. According to that definition it would seem more than likely that the land the Palestinians want for their state would come from the country of Israel. But since you seem incredibly reluctant to provide a usable definition I can only speculate.
    I don't understand what is so difficult about this.

British Mandate formed. British Mandate dissolved. Borders formed and this now includes Jordan and the SS.

From whose country are the Palestinians demanding a state from?

It can't be the SS because that has borders, it can't be Jordon because that has borders and it can't be Mandatory Palestine because that entity has been extinguished.

So I ask again, from whose country are the Palestinians demanding a state from?

ReputationRep:
    But then this doesn't make sense:

"A League of Nations mandate was a legal status for certain territories transferred from the control of one country to another following World War I"

If it was a mandate and not a country as you are claiming, then why did they write "country"?:confused:
    Because it was a system for territories to be transferred from the control of one country to another

The territory was "Palestine", the country it was transferred from was the Ottoman Empire and the country it was transferred to, was the British Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Right)
    Mate we tried in the Israel/Palestine Gaza thread to get a valid argument from tsr1269 but in 200+ Pages of debate it was never achieved. I have found out he is Muslim so clearly his only reason to be anti-Israeli and anti-Jewish is because every other Muslim/Islamic nation thinks so and he must be taught it.
    I don't recall discussing my religious beliefs nor anything to do with the SS/Palestine Conflict with you. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Because it was a system for territories to be transferred from the control of one country to another

The territory was "Palestine", the country it was transferred from was the Ottoman Empire and the country it was transferred to, was the British Empire.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned "control". In fact, it is only you who have brought up control bringing up concepts such as geopolitical entity and mandate, all concepts which are to do with the "control of a territory which may or may not be a country".

As it stands, Mandatory Palestine, regardless of the control exercised over it, was a country.

Go take your "control" argument somewhere else. It has no relevance to the current thread.

ReputationRep:
    How so?

I don't understand what is so difficult about this.

British Mandate formed. British Mandate dissolved. Borders formed and this now includes Jordan and the SS.

From whose country are the Palestinians demanding a state from?

It can't be the SS because that has borders, it can't be Jordon because that has borders and it can't be Mandatory Palestine because that entity has been extinguished.

So I ask again, from whose country are the Palestinians demanding a state from?
    The problematic bit is your claim that the British Mandate was a country or part of a country. Can you defend that statement please with a definition of the word "country"?

To date the definition you gave would suggest either that the land the Palestinians want for their state is part of the country of Israel or that Israel was not formed from part of a country.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned "control". In fact, it is only you who have brought up control bringing up concepts such as geopolitical entity and mandate, all concepts which are to do with the "control of a territory which may or may not be a country".

As it stands, Mandatory Palestine, regardless of the control exercised over it, was a country.

Go take your "control" argument somewhere else. It has no relevance to the current thread.
    You clearly don't understand, maybe you need to read my post again.

"Palestine" (the territory) was part of the Ottoman empire (a country) and was transferred to the British Empire (another country), is this really too difficult for you?

ReputationRep:
    The problematic bit is your claim that the British Mandate was a country or part of a country. Can you defend that statement please with a definition of the word "country"?
    I already have. Check my earlier definition.

To date the definition you gave would suggest either that the land the Palestinians want for their state is part of the country of Israel or that Israel was not formed from part of a country.
    How? When the Mandate dissolved, did the SS "inherit" the whole of the Mandate or part of the Mandate?

If the SS was not formed "from part of a country", from what was it formed from?

ReputationRep:
    Have we met before? Could you show me where I have stated these things that you have claimed that I have stated?

Didn't I? See my excellent analysis in the Israel/Palestine Conflict thread.

I take it you don't support the IDF? You could have fooled me...:rolleyes:
    I would have to spend hours searching through threads that go up to 200+, 300+ pages(this does not include the various ones deleted while the Gaza conflict was the hot topic) to have you deny again like you have done numerously. What do I get by showing you what you seem to forget and what everyone else knows?

To save time let's get things straight. You are pro-Palestine are you not? You dislike Israel right? And you are no fan of the west, correct?

We know you are Muslim, and the general consensus illustrates that Muslim populations and Islamic nations altogether dislike Israelis/Jews most compared to the rest of the world.

You can deny all you want but you quote the 1948 independence from British Mandatory Palestine often meaning your stigma with Israel stems before any conflict in the last 20 years. You once said the Jewish state should of been instated in Russia or Europe after WW2(you will probably deny that but i remember) so the whole transfer of powers to the Jewish population angers you somehow.

I have seen little condemnation from you regarding ISIS. I have followed the ISIS thread continuously as well as the Gaza thread. More Muslims have died at the hands of ISIS yet you still remain fixated on Israel and the jews which begs the question do you really care about Muslims? Or do you just hate Israel like mad?

You stand by the fact stores in the UK removed kosher products in response to the unplanned riots by Muslim protestors against the Israeli offensive yet you do not agree with the what is fair that Halal products should be removed in response to ISIS.

To finish things off on this exact thread I asked who you believe to be more dangerous towards UK citizens- the Islamic community or semitic community. Let's do the math. We had 7/7(plus the 1000s of bombings throughout the world), lee rigby was barbarically murdered in the name of Islam, 2013 11 Muslims were arrested during operation Pitsford for terrorist plots in Birmingham, 500+ British jihadist have fought alongside ISIS in Iraq and Syria, we had the likes of Abu Qatada radicalising Muslims over the country, we had 1400+ account of rape and sexual abuse recently reported in Rotherham by Pakistani Muslims, we have those girls last year acid attacked at their front door by muslims, we had the Trojan horse incident where Muslims were infiltrating schools in the midlands and consequently radicalising them, widespread Muslim sex grooming of children, I could do this all day. Plus you got the fact there were Muslim protests in some East London areas trying to impose shariah law.

What has the Semitic or Jewish population let's say done accept hit a racist, vile man.

you are very clearly an anti-Jewish person who will spend the rest of his life putting Jews and Israelis down.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly don't understand, maybe you need to read my post again.

"Palestine" (the territory) was part of the Ottoman empire (a country) and was transferred to the British Empire (another country), is this really too difficult for you?
    Seems like it's going to be quite long before this sinks in so let's start from the beginning:

Did Mandatory Palestine have borders?

ReputationRep:
    I already have. Check my earlier definition.

How? When the Mandate dissolved, did the SS "inherit" the whole of the Mandate or part of the Mandate?

If the SS was not formed "from part of a country", from what was it formed from?
    I could ask you the same question. If Palestine will not be formed "from part of a country", from what will it be formed from?

Your answer to that question is key to this discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like it's going to be quite long before this sinks in so let's start from the beginning:

Did Mandatory Palestine have borders?
    Yes in the same way that Norfolk has borders, Yorkshire has borders etc

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.