Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    In what way was QR easier in the exam? Because I just did the Mock B on UKCAT website and did sooooo bad :'(. This started off as my best section but even on Medify I do terrible now!?!? Your scores were so much better than my practice scores!!!! I struggle for timing a fair bit on that section but the questions I just find really difficult tbh, going to make me sound stupid on tsr lol

I hate this exam so much. I have always been a straight A student with the highest possible grades and this is the first exam to really mess me up. And badly too!
    I wouldn't say QR was super easy in the exam but I think it's marked better. If you're getting 550-650 in mocks for QR don't worry too much about it. Focus on VR and AR! The exam messed me up too it really makes you doubt how good you are I get you😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akz18)
    Hi Gavin,

That's a good score for GEM and the normal entry course as well.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you prep for the VR section, in particular the comprehension type questions? I'm struggling to get a decent score in that section.

Thanks
    Thank you, i have no clue about what's good or bad when it comes to applying for medicine.

I read more books to speed my reading up. I forced my self to read the entire passage (attempting to speed read/picking main points of each paragraph) and then the options. Usually id discount two and then pick the most logical option, referring to the text only if slightly in doubt if its correct. Don't freeze, if you have no clue what to answer having read the entire passage, just guess logically and move on. I missed reading 2 or 3 of the passages and tried making educated guesses from the answers when time was running out. My score was very lucky considering how i felt it went so my method may not be the best option. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    >720 for GEM is pretty good average for GEM (from calling up several admission offices) but they did emphasis it depends on the mean scores when UKCAT is finished as DA was removed. Thank you!
    (Original post by GavinJR)
    Thank you, i have no clue about what's good or bad when it comes to applying for medicine.

I read more books to speed my reading up. I forced my self to read the entire passage (attempting to speed read/picking main points of each paragraph) and then the options. Usually id discount two and then pick the most logical option, referring to the text only if slightly in doubt if its correct. Don't freeze, if you have no clue what to answer having read the entire passage, just guess logically and move on. I missed reading 2 or 3 of the passages and tried making educated guesses from the answers when time was running out. My score was very lucky considering how i felt it went so my method may not be the best option. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the final ukcat quartiles/results are published?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    Does anyone know when the final ukcat quartiles/results are published?
    7th October I think I read earlier on the UKCAT website!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    7th October I think I read earlier on the UKCAT website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! And good job on the ukcat, got the exact same score as me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! And good job on the ukcat, got the exact same score as me
    No problem! Thank you! Well done to you too where you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Thank you! Well done to you too where you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's difficult because our scores are above average, but at the same time not exceptional. So far I'm thinking Leicester (first choice), Liverpool, Plymouth and Hull/york. My D in my 4th AS limits my choices a bit but I've got decent achieved A levels, so fingers crossed... How about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for telling me those stats! Well I've never done a medicine interview before so hard to tell however I would say I have good interpersonal skills and work experience so it's all what they think about me 😂 I think every applicant thinks they are decent so I guess I'll find out my fate soon lmao 😂 I think making them know who you are is the best thing though shows you are dedicated to their uni, I'll definitely bug uni's in my post rejection gap year if I needed to 😂 no way I couldn't handle BMAT. I've missed one Chem lesson (today) and already I feel a million miles behind 😂and I have chemistry tomorrow 😭 I'm up so late because this is my first night of freedom because ukcat is done now but I'll regret it tomorrow 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One thing that i learnt with my failures from interviews last year and from talking to an interviewer, they LOVE people who demonstrate values including in personal statement from the values listed in the document "NHS constitution" on page 5. Well if you've done good in UKCAT no need to worry about BMAT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemunch12)
    What do you mean by questions with "deep thought"? Did they have multiple steps?
    By deep thought, i mean just like when you look at a question and you are like what the **** am i meant to do!!!! But when you spend more time understanding the data, you get what to do! I think that the reason i found this a problem is because of my poor poor english lol.
    other "deep thought" questions i had, required multiple steps however this was scarce! Most questions were single step! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult because our scores are above average, but at the same time not exceptional. So far I'm thinking Leicester (first choice), Liverpool, Plymouth and Hull/york. My D in my 4th AS limits my choices a bit but I've got decent achieved A levels, so fingers crossed... How about yourself?
    I know like I love my score but same time wish I had 700+ as my life would be sorted 😂 I'm thinking Manchester, Liverpool, st George's, Plymouth! Similar to you! Band 1 would help for HYMS after interview but I don't think my score is High enough to be invited to interview I managed to miraculously get a b in my physics AS so I'm still buzzing about that since I've dropped it so it looks decent :P just be careful with Liverpool as they want a B in the 4th AS!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    One thing that i learnt with my failures from interviews last year and from talking to an interviewer, they LOVE people who demonstrate values including in personal statement from the values listed in the document "NHS constitution" on page 5. Well if you've done good in UKCAT no need to worry about BMAT!!
    Thank you I'll have a look at it! Yes I'm very happy about my ukcat score 😋 nearer the time and if I get any interviews would I be able to message you for more advice please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I'll have a look at it! Yes I'm very happy about my ukcat score 😋 nearer the time and if I get any interviews would I be able to message you for more advice please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem! thats good, luckily theres a lot of UKCAT heavy unis out there! and yeah thats absolutely fine, would always be happy to help btw i looked at your previous thread message and I'm thinking of applying to same unis as you are thinking except for manchester. Just be a bit cautious with manchester, because even though you meet the UKCAT cut-off people still don't get interviewed. what they do, is choose top ranked 1100-1000 from UKCAT then use the "non academic form" to invite 900 from those who meet UKCAT cut off. From what they were telling me on the phone, is that they are favour people who have a lot of care experience! But then again the non academic form only shreds 100-150ish people

ReputationRep:
    I know like I love my score but same time wish I had 700+ as my life would be sorted 😂 I'm thinking Manchester, Liverpool, st George's, Plymouth! Similar to you! Band 1 would help for HYMS after interview but I don't think my score is High enough to be invited to interview I managed to miraculously get a b in my physics AS so I'm still buzzing about that since I've dropped it so it looks decent :P just be careful with Liverpool as they want a B in the 4th AS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Life would me much simpler with 700+ haha. Band 1 also contributes to your pre-interview score too (15 out of 85 points) at HYMS. Isn't manchester's cut off a little high? Haha my D was in physics... it's fine, I've emailed liverpool and luckily it seems they don't have that 4th AS requirement anymore.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of unis having taken away the 4th AS requirement so phone up unis to double check! You may not have realised as some unis have not updated their website!!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of unis having taken away the 4th AS requirement so phone up unis to double check! You may not have realised as some unis have not updated their website!!
    Thanks yeah, Liverpool luckily have followed that pattern, still trying to chase up Cardiff but I think they still have that c requirement :/

ReputationRep:
    No problem! thats good, luckily theres a lot of UKCAT heavy unis out there! and yeah thats absolutely fine, would always be happy to help btw i looked at your previous thread message and I'm thinking of applying to same unis as you are thinking except for manchester. Just be a bit cautious with manchester, because even though you meet the UKCAT cut-off people still don't get interviewed. what they do, is choose top ranked 1100-1000 from UKCAT then use the "non academic form" to invite 900 from those who meet UKCAT cut off. From what they were telling me on the phone, is that they are favour people who have a lot of care experience! But then again the non academic form only shreds 100-150ish people
    Yes I've heard that too but thanks for telling me! And thank you! I do have quite a bit of caring work experience like I've volunteered at my local hospital since January and also went to a special school and helped out for a few weeks! So in terms of commitment I have that covered with the hospital hopefully! I also have kind of interesting WE too like I acted as a patient for doctors practicing for their CSA exam! Then I got to shadow my consultant paediatrician who looked after me for a year. On top of that I have a personal illness which is why I want to go into medicine so I have lots of experience in a healthcare setting and I do have care experience (not as much as many but it's about quality still and what I learnt from it so I hope that's enough). For Plymouth and St George's do they literally just look at your cut off and your min academics and invite you to interview? Liverpool I should meet their cut off but all depends whether they like my personal statement :/ I'm glad my score has kept my options mostly open though 😋 I was very worried I wouldn't even score high enough to apply this year 😂 where did you apply last year and what score did you have last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Yeah I read it on their website 😂 I better ring up all my uni's and make sure I'm fine as well just in case if I can't trust their websites anymore 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Life would me much simpler with 700+ haha. Band 1 also contributes to your pre-interview score too (15 out of 85 points) at HYMS. Isn't manchester's cut off a little high? Haha my D was in physics... it's fine, I've emailed liverpool and luckily it seems they don't have that 4th AS requirement anymore.
    Does it actually? I'll have to have a look into HYMS again then I think I was reading 2016 entry as they couldn't use SJT that year due to marking errors or something 😋 physics actually ruined my life 😂 yeah manchester's cut off is scary as I think I will probably miss it by a few points but I love Manchester so much 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does it actually? I'll have to have a look into HYMS again then I think I was reading 2016 entry as they couldn't use SJT that year due to marking errors or something 😋 physics actually ruined my life 😂 yeah manchester's cut off is scary as I think I will probably miss it by a few points but I love Manchester so much 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah have a look, they use SJT twice http://www.hyms.ac.uk/docs/default-s...2017-entry.pdf
    Most of my friends found physics the hardest a level at A2. Yeah I would definitely have applied Manchester if my ukcat was a little higher, but I'm playing it safe haha

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.