Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    They are teaching jobs, hence the dilemma (I think giving back word on accepted jobs is worse with teaching). I wasn't planning on moving for the whole week. I'd sort of split my time...hoping that the hours were over two consecutive days. I just love the subject and the college that this particular job is at.

I guess basically what I'm wondering is would anyone here back out of an accepted job in order to take another one? :ninja: The rest of the trainees at my school said they would and you have to think of yourself, but obviously current staff and my uni it is an adamant no.
    The way I read it most people are saying the same thing - don't accept a job at interview and then back out. But by all means go along to the interview and then if offered the position turn it down if you haven't seen anything to persuade you.

ReputationRep:
    They are teaching jobs, hence the dilemma (I think giving back word on accepted jobs is worse with teaching). I wasn't planning on moving for the whole week. I'd sort of split my time...hoping that the hours were over two consecutive days. I just love the subject and the college that this particular job is at.

I guess basically what I'm wondering is would anyone here back out of an accepted job in order to take another one? :ninja: The rest of the trainees at my school said they would and you have to think of yourself, but obviously current staff and my uni it is an adamant no.
    You've got to think about two things:

1. If the job entailed moving full time to the new place would you be happy with this?
    2. Figure out your budget for the year- is this job REALLY enough money?

I would also think about whether you are trying to convince yourself not to go. Not saying you necessarily are, just that as people, me included, we sometimes try to persuade ourselves with reasons we think others will accept, especially when we're worried others won't accept our real reasons ("Don't give up on teaching!"). Also think about how much the holiday plays a role. It's absolutely fine to feel like you'd rather not go because of the holiday. That just means the job is probably not something you really want to do.

Personally I would say don't accept and then decline. It causes so many problems for the school, may stop someone else perfect getting the job, and in general isn't very professional. It's hard because teaching is different from other careers. So the advice you'll get is mostly from people who think of it like a job, but teaching isn't really a job, at least not right now. It's more of a life choice...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    The way I read it most people are saying the same thing - don't accept a job at interview and then back out. But by all means go along to the interview and then if offered the position turn it down if you haven't seen anything to persuade you.
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    You've got to think about two things:

1. If the job entailed moving full time to the new place would you be happy with this?
    2. Figure out your budget for the year- is this job REALLY enough money?

I would also think about whether you are trying to convince yourself not to go. Not saying you necessarily are, just that as people, me included, we sometimes try to persuade ourselves with reasons we think others will accept, especially when we're worried others won't accept our real reasons ("Don't give up on teaching!"). Also think about how much the holiday plays a role. It's absolutely fine to feel like you'd rather not go because of the holiday. That just means the job is probably not something you really want to do.

Personally I would say don't accept and then decline. It causes so many problems for the school, may stop someone else perfect getting the job, and in general isn't very professional. It's hard because teaching is different from other careers. So the advice you'll get is mostly from people who think of it like a job, but teaching isn't really a job, at least not right now. It's more of a life choice...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you both. I know what you're saying. I'm visiting this other school tomorrow morning and I'm hoping it will help with a decision. If I don't like it there or something then I will go next week because there's nothing else on my plate. Plus they sent me the details of interview last night and it sounds like a nice day as far as interviews go. Finishes at 11 and they've let me pick my own lesson topic which is a dream. But if I see this school tomorrow and will definitely be applying then I will not go.

At the moment I'm only interested in part time jobs so it is what I want. However I know that I have to take finances into consideration which would be less of an issue if I stayed at home...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Another day off

Feeling really low this week. Sickness really holds me back from everything and it's just frustrating when I have so much to do. My breath is catching in my throat and I'm struggling to breathe without coughing and heaving but I still feel awful about missing the day.

It means I have an assessment missing from my folder as I was due to complete it today and I won't have chance tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Another day off

Feeling really low this week. Sickness really holds me back from everything and it's just frustrating when I have so much to do. My breath is catching in my throat and I'm struggling to breathe without coughing and heaving but I still feel awful about missing the day.

It means I have an assessment missing from my folder as I was due to complete it today and I won't have chance tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww I know how you feel. I always feel really guilty. But if you're ill you're ill! There's nothing more to it. And if you're ill tomorrow then don't drag yourself in. You'll be feeling great by Monday (hopefully) and you can catch afresh next week. Everyone gets sick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aww I know how you feel. I always feel really guilty. But if you're ill you're ill! There's nothing more to it. And if you're ill tomorrow then don't drag yourself in. You'll be feeling great by Monday (hopefully) and you can catch afresh next week. Everyone gets sick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel a bit better today but I'm still struggling. I think today should be the last day I need off so at least I should be healthy enough for tomorrow.

The worst part of being sick is my future mother-in-law popping up out of nowhere every four hours to give me the foulest tasting cough medicine in the world. I'm allergic to anything remotely tasty so I'm stuck with herbal, lumpy foul gunk.

At least I can get my folders and module stuff in order. No idea what to do about the missing module task though. I'll have to ask to submit it next week instead and hope for the best :/

ReputationRep:
    So today was review statement day, all I can say is either my placement 1 were really kind and generous with my marks or placement 2 are being really harsh as I've gone from a mixture of a 1 a bunch of 2's and one or two 3's to a total wipe out of 3's most of which are b's and a 4......
    Also I've discovered if I drop the course at the end of term I end up borrowing 4.5k less of the student loan company and only pay back what I've borrowed (including the grant) as a normal student loan repayment when I earn over 25k...it's more tempting than ever now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    So today was review statement day, all I can say is either my placement 1 were really kind and generous with my marks or placement 2 are being really harsh as I've gone from a mixture of a 1 a bunch of 2's and one or two 3's to a total wipe out of 3's most of which are b's and a 4......
    Also I've discovered if I drop the course at the end of term I end up borrowing 4.5k less of the student loan company and only pay back what I've borrowed (including the grant) as a normal student loan repayment when I earn over 25k...it's more tempting than ever now!
    Most people tend to go down on their first placement 2 report. That's not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    Have had to cancel an interview because of illness getting progressively worse, had prepped, planned lesson and everything! Absolutely gutted.

Why do I feel even more rotten than I should and soo guilty when it was a legitimate reason?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Have had to cancel an interview because of illness getting progressively worse, had prepped, planned lesson and everything! Absolutely gutted.

Why do I feel even more rotten than I should and soo guilty when it was a legitimate reason?!
    that must be awful. Try not to feel too bad, just concentrate on getting better.

---

Well remember that job i was considering at my last plavement school? I spent so long considering it, I forgot when it was due in! Spent last night quickly putting together an application I could hand in today. Not holding out much hope though! They don't shortlist til after Easter so I'm not going to find out til then

ReputationRep:
    Currently sat waiting yo visit a school I'm interested in applying for. It's been the most appealing job that's come up so far and if I like what I see I'm going to cancel my interview next week. I know they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but I really want to make sure I don't miss out on somewhere I'll like more than the one I may have accepted.

Side note - it's such a lovely sunny day, and the end of term! I may be in the best mood I've been in since starting the pgce!
    (Original post by Sam89)

Oh no! How interested in the job were you? I've cancelled interviews for awful reasons before so yours is pretty good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Helppp. On this application form it asks "are you registered with the GTC?".

I have a DfE number which it states is the same as a GTC number, so does that mean I'm registered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Now to actually pass the PGCE..
    How did you feel after being rejected from previous interviews? My confidence has dropped

ReputationRep:
    Helppp. On this application form it asks "are you registered with the GTC?".

I have a DfE number which it states is the same as a GTC number, so does that mean I'm registered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought the GTC didn't exist any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I thought the GTC didn't exist any more?
    I don't know. Not much comes up when I Google it so I dunno what to put :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Not much comes up when I Google it so I dunno what to put :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just looked it up, it was abolished in 2012. The only membership number I know of is the TRN number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I just looked it up, it was abolished in 2012. The only membership number I know of is the TRN number.
    Oh right thanks. They really need to update their application form! I'll just put no then I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both. I know what you're saying. I'm visiting this other school tomorrow morning and I'm hoping it will help with a decision. If I don't like it there or something then I will go next week because there's nothing else on my plate. Plus they sent me the details of interview last night and it sounds like a nice day as far as interviews go. Finishes at 11 and they've let me pick my own lesson topic which is a dream. But if I see this school tomorrow and will definitely be applying then I will not go.

At the moment I'm only interested in part time jobs so it is what I want. However I know that I have to take finances into consideration which would be less of an issue if I stayed at home...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would err on the side of caution with accepting a job and then backing out. Schools don't look favourably on this and you don't know who the head of department/headteacher etc know at other schools. In my area my headteacher (albeit primary) know most of the others heads in the city and you would be blacklisted which is never good. Harsh I know but something to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Striving92)
    How did you feel after being rejected from previous interviews? My confidence has dropped
    It was hard. I had actually said I'd give up for a while after this one because of the stress... having said that, I took on feedback from prior interviews and felt a lot better at my last one because I had the experience. It is hard to keep getting rejections but also completely expected at this time and in this job. Just keep going, it's all good experience! Good luck. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    I would err on the side of caution with accepting a job and then backing out. Schools don't look favourably on this and you don't know who the head of department/headteacher etc know at other schools. In my area my headteacher (albeit primary) know most of the others heads in the city and you would be blacklisted which is never good. Harsh I know but something to consider.
    Very much this. It's an incestuous profession and word gets around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.