Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What a surprise, daily politics had a Norwegian on to talk about the 1994, referendum, and what did they say? We were told we would lose 100,000 jobs, the EU would have nothing to do with us, we would all lose thousands, etc etc. Funniily enough they were told pretty much the exact same as were being told, and unsurprisingly it's all been a load of tosh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The comparison to our referendum makes no sense because they were voting to join, not leave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    The comparison to our referendum makes no sense because they were voting to join, not leave.
    Except in both cases it's "be in the EU or you will fall apart"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In the 'Brexit movie' it claimed that there are 109 EU regulations on pillows. That has been shown up as total bs. It's not even technically arguable like the 350 million figure is, it's just a lie.

Post truth politics.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Just had a vote leave leaflet through the post claiming to be "official information about the referendum" and seems to try and look like a government document with only a small vote leave logo in the bottom corner.

I love how they are saying that turkey ect. Are joining too and give their population as if that's how many are coming over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Just had a vote leave leaflet through the post claiming to be "official information about the referendum" and seems to try and look like a government document with only a small vote leave logo in the bottom corner.

I love how they are saying that turkey ect. Are joining too and give their population as if that's how many are coming over here.
    I got one before quoting the bloody "£350m" figure as a fact.

I think they should just be honest as should remain (theyre just too busy *****ing themselves that they're gonna lose).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Except in both cases it's "be in the EU or you will fall apart"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The status quo is importantly different. Regardless, both countries operate with different types of economies ; ours being largely services orientated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)

I think they should just be honest as should remain (theyre just too busy *****ing themselves that they're gonna lose).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, that was on there too. Although this wasn't mine but my parents. I haven't had one >.<

We'll vote remain in the end.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    In the 'Brexit movie' it claimed that there are 109 EU regulations on pillows. That has been shown up as total bs. It's not even technically arguable like the 350 million figure is, it's just a lie.

Post truth politics.
    Presumably you've just watched the John Oliver clip?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, £350 isn't quite right, much closer to £365m

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)

Weak arguments bolstered by deception because they can't be honest about their true motivations.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, no it isnt...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In other news, a man facing a retrial for rape has been signed by Chesterfield FC.

Totally wrong in my view. You would not employ someone as a teaching assistant who was facing such a case, and footballers meet children on a regular basis as part of their job as it were.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    In other news, a man facing a retrial for rape has been signed by Chesterfield FC.

Totally wrong in my view. You would not employ someone as a teaching assistant who was facing such a case, and footballers meet children on a regular basis as part of their job as it were.
    Hear, hear. It's absolutely disgraceful, especially considering Chesterfield are in the football league.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is not even hiding the fact he secretly wants out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    mm Corbyn did okay, nothing special. Had some good points to make which have barely been mentioned so far, but rambled on a bit too much - he had too much to say so spoke too quick and didn't connect his different points well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where did you find the extra £15 million? I'm sure Leave would love to hear from you!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Where did you find the extra £15 million? I'm sure Leave would love to hear from you!
    by using a calculator?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, no it isnt...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so 19000/52 is not ~365?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Nigel Farage's £55 million a day claim most likely, which comes from the ONS Pink Book. The ONS themselves have already said that the use of this figure is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    10 minutes to TSR's EU Referendum debate- hope to see you there!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.