Ultimate EPQ thread watch

• View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    62.56%
    not helpful
    37.44%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aneesah_May)
    To investigate the psychological effects of crime and punishment in Egypt, China and Britain in order to compare which cultures/country method of punishment is most effective in terms of deterrence and retribution?

Is there anything wrong or suggestions to improve my research project/question wording.
    Investigate the psychological effects of crime and punishment in collectivist culture in comparison to individualist culture. Evaluate according to both cultures whether the most effective method of punishment is deterrence or retribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    Been doing my EPQ for a few weeks now and still haven't got a title
    Don't worry. I only came up with my title when I was writing my EPQ

ReputationRep:
    Doing my EPQ in the role of international diplomacy during the Falklands Conflict, got a vague title and a couple hundred words worth of introduction but really struggling with research, I've heard splitting it into 4 smaller enquiry questions and answering each in 1000 words is a good method - has anyone done anything similar and if so would they recommend it?

In terms of research I'm pretty stuck with where to start? Obviously there's the internet but I can't find anything too specific, am I going to have to just bite the bullet and buy a load of relevant books? (no decent public library near me and the school one doesn't have what I'm looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my EPQ on the distribution of medical resources worldwide and its effects, ive done some research but im finding it difficult how to split up my essay and manage to find enough to write about for 5000 words! Has anyone else done a similar topic and offer any help?:confused: thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    Completely lacking in motivation to do an EPQ....
    Going to apply to medicine next year but I don't know how useful doing one will be.
    Any medics out there doing one??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstac)
    Completely lacking in motivation to do an EPQ....
    Going to apply to medicine next year but I don't know how useful doing one will be.
    Any medics out there doing one??
    Im hoping to apply to do medicine in 2 years time and im doing EPQ. It's better to be safe than sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraZara97)
    Im hoping to apply to do medicine in 2 years time and im doing EPQ. It's better to be safe than sorry
    I agree with you, I just think that the Summer of year 12 is going to be a lot of hard work with UKCAT, work experience and EPQ as well

ReputationRep:
    Potentially very embarrassing question, but on Edexcel, for the Project Activity Log, I've finished the first page with just the 4 rows and I can't find a document with a sheet full of rows (and I can't seem to make it myself) to continue. Help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide on a title for my EPQ - I know I want to do it on the effect of alcohol on people and the NHS, but I don't know if that's too general or not? If it is, does anyone have any suggestions on a more appropriate title?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstac)
    I agree with you, I just think that the Summer of year 12 is going to be a lot of hard work with UKCAT, work experience and EPQ as well
    That's true. Maybe start thinking about it now and get ur ideas straight?

ReputationRep:
    • Hi

i am thinking of doing an Economic History course at uni. I also want to do the EPQ and I really can't think of a title Any suggestions, help would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I want to do one of these on a history/politics/philosophy related topic. When must you take the EPQ? Is it AS or A2? My teacher said I could do one at A2 but wouldn't that mean I can't mention it in my PS?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ooooooo)
    Doing my EPQ in the role of international diplomacy during the Falklands Conflict, got a vague title and a couple hundred words worth of introduction but really struggling with research, I've heard splitting it into 4 smaller enquiry questions and answering each in 1000 words is a good method - has anyone done anything similar and if so would they recommend it?

In terms of research I'm pretty stuck with where to start? Obviously there's the internet but I can't find anything too specific, am I going to have to just bite the bullet and buy a load of relevant books? (no decent public library near me and the school one doesn't have what I'm looking for.
    Run through - http://www.vtstutorials.co.uk/Conten...F-45A2876999E2 to start with.

You're not confined to written works - there could well be useful content in online lectures (eg http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gq1zd/episodes/guide from 1981 could be interesting - I haven't listened but it might contain something interesting to explain the focus of international relations and defence prior to the conflict). Also lectures like http://www.bipr.eu/eventprofile.cfm/...ar-1982&zdyx=1 should give you some possible sources to look into further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondelocks)
    I want to do one of these on a history/politics/philosophy related topic. When must you take the EPQ? Is it AS or A2? My teacher said I could do one at A2 but wouldn't that mean I can't mention it in my PS?
    You can take the EPQ in either Year 12 or 13. It's an AS. But usually you start working on your EPQ in the summer after Year 12 has finished (depends on your schools policy). So you should be able to mention it in your Personal Statement as well as what's it about too (I did this )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Run through - http://www.vtstutorials.co.uk/Conten...F-45A2876999E2 to start with.

You're not confined to written works - there could well be useful content in online lectures (eg http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gq1zd/episodes/guide from 1981 could be interesting - I haven't listened but it might contain something interesting to explain the focus of international relations and defence prior to the conflict). Also lectures like http://www.bipr.eu/eventprofile.cfm/...ar-1982&zdyx=1 should give you some possible sources to look into further
    Thank you, those have been really useful. Do you think it's worthwhile me trying to contact university lecturers and authors to try and get a broader view of the subject?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ooooooo)
    Thank you, those have been really useful. Do you think it's worthwhile me trying to contact university lecturers and authors to try and get a broader view of the subject?
    There's no harm in contacting them and asking if they can direct you towards any particularly useful sources - if you explain you're without access to a decent library then they might be sympathetic.

Some universities offer academic resources(like access to their library and/or online journals) to students doing an EPQ (eg http://www.learnwithus.southampton.a...tendedProject/ )

Worst they can do is ignore you and if nothing else you get a nice example for your PS of problem solving and going beyond the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Potentially very embarrassing question, but on Edexcel, for the Project Activity Log, I've finished the first page with just the 4 rows and I can't find a document with a sheet full of rows (and I can't seem to make it myself) to continue. Help?
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Anyone?
    There should be an option on word to insert a table. Look at the top bar, then click on the tab which says 'insert'. Under 'table' draw the grid for the size table you want (2 columns and enough rows to fill the page), then move the line across so the boxes are the right width. Hopefully this makes sense

Edit: you will need to do this on a new page, otherwise this table will overlap the original one.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any advice for my epq? Im struggling to think of what i should research my question is:

To what extent does the stanford prison experiment represent prison life?

im comparing the findings/behaviours/procedures of the experiement to how it is in the UK now..

I already have some context about the experiment,a lab report,some quotes from prisoners,2 documentaries, what else do you recommend i use/reasearch?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm doing b12 deficiency and neurodegenerative disease

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.