Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
What about films such as Black Swan, True Grit and The Fighter? They all seem to have really good reviews so far.
Haven't actually been released here.
Firaila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Haven't actually been released here.
Check out the recommendation thread
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
What about films such as Black Swan, True Grit and The Fighter? They all seem to have really good reviews so far.
Not released in the UK until 2011. Otherwise they would all definitely be included, along with 127 Hours. And then it would get very difficult trying to narrow them all down.
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by Firaila)
Check out the recommendation thread
I'll get round it. The postcount in that thread went up by over 100 in one night. :emo:

(Original post by FinalFlash)
Just watched Se7en. :eek2:
(Original post by Marviee)
Why, thank you Now go watch Smoke... Or else.
Smoke and Se7en. If you had to sell these movies to me, what would you say? :holmes:
Firaila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
^

The sacrifices you make in the pursuit of film enlightenment are quite admirable
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
I'll get round it. The postcount in that thread went up by over 100 in one night. :emo:

Smoke and Se7en. If you had to sell these movies to me, what would you say? :holmes:
You've not seen Se7en? :lolwut:

Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Brad Pitt and a story about a twisted serial killer who murders people based on the Seven Deadly Sins. Plus, it has an awesome twist.

And David Fincher is the director.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Got asked recently if I have a blog of film stuff. Never really thought about having one before... :holmes:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
Yup, I must admit, it was a bit weird suddenly seeing film grain pop up, but it suddenly became a pleasant discovery that blu-ray doesn't seek to reproduce a completely clean image, but closer to the intent of the director. Also, if film grain was removed, then the picture quality has less detail. If you compare Batman Begins to Inception, then you'll see that BB has a considerably softer image.

Btw, you have a PS3. I'd recommend buying the Alien Anthology, the HD transfers are outstanding. The extras are also absolutely fantastic and there's a lot of interesting facts about the whole Fincher situation surround Alien 3.

Goldfinger will always be my favourite. It was the very first Bond movie I ever saw.

Also, interesting read: http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.12/3.1...amididvnr.php3
Good article.

Alien3 extras sound intriguing. What sort of things do they go into? I must admit that I almost never watch the extras on DVD...

If I had to sell Se7en, I wouldn't bother. There'd be someone along in a minute more than eager to buy it.
Ape Gone Insane
I recommend Wordpress.
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Good article.

Alien3 extras sound intriguing. What sort of things do they go into? I must admit that I almost never watch the extras on DVD...

If I had to sell Se7en, I wouldn't bother. There'd be someone along in a minute more than eager to buy it.
But Alien 3 was a terrible film, what would be the point?
Ape Gone Insane
(Original post by Madjackismad)
You've not seen Se7en? :lolwut:

Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Brad Pitt and a story about a twisted serial killer who murders people based on the Seven Deadly Sins. Plus, it has an awesome twist.

And David Fincher is the director.
Watching now, will report back. :teeth:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Films recently added to the National Film Registry:

- "Airplane!" (1980)
- "All the President's Men" (1976)
- "The Bargain" (1914)
- "Cry of Jazz" (1959)
- "Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB" (1967)
- "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980)
- "The Exorcist (1973)
- "The Front Page" (1931)
- "Grey Gardens" (1976)
- "I Am Joaquin" (1969)
- "It's a Gift" (1934)
- "Let There Be Light" (1946)
- "Lonesome" (1928)
- "Make Way For Tomorrow" (1937)
- "Malcolm X" (1992)
- "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (1971)
- "Newark Athlete" (1891)
- "Our Lady of the Sphere" (1969)
- "The Pink Panther" (1964)
- "Preservation of the Sign Language" (1913)
- "Saturday Night Fever" (1977)
- "Study of a River" (1966)
- "Tarantella" (1940)
- "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (1945)
- "A Trip Down Market Street" (1906)

Some odd choices there. I'm gobsmacked The Exorcist wasn't already included.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
It's got a very interesting backstory, and was responsible for turning Fincher into the control freak he is today.
addylad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't wait for 127 Hours. Looks immense. Heard the story a while back, and finally there's a film about it.
Ape Gone Insane
Phalanges Film of the Year thread is up, guys: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1501971

Get in there.
CertifiedAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

Merry Christmas, film thread posters! :wizard:

Have a good one.
Hope you had a great christmas and got loads of DVDs!

Movies Ive watched this week and last week:
Inglorious basterds - Great movie was put off it by somepeople buty really liked it
Sherlock holmes - Pretty good
DogHouse - Really funny and weird

Still need to watch the movies you recommended me though
ahq
Report 7 years ago
Just watched Rain Man, and I loved it. Dustin Hoffman is immense. :adore:
Ape Gone Insane
Anybody watch Deadwood? Thinking of getting into it. Like a TV series version of True Grit or other Westerns. I've heard some people compare it to the Wire and Sopranos.

The town of Deadwood, South Dakota in the weeks following the Custer massacre is a lawless sinkhole of crime and corruption. Into this uncivilized outpost ride a disillusioned and bitter ex-lawman, Wild Bill Hickok, and Seth Bullock, a man hoping to find a new start for himself. Both men find themselves quickly on opposite sides of the legal and moral fence from Al Swearengen, saloon owner, hotel operator, and incipient boss of Deadwood. The lives of these three intertwine with many others, the high-minded and the low-lifes who populate Deadwood in 1876.
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Good article.

There's a lot of extras, seriously. In regards to Alien 3, they talk about how the pressure from the studio etc lead to Fincher walking out.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
It's not a completely dreadful film, it had a few good points. You've got to remember that the final cut is not Fincher's, but the work of the studio. They completely dismantled it without his consent.

Also, this wasn't a part of the previous Alien boxset on DVD, but they've restored several behind the scenes clip on the documentary about Alien 3 showing Fincher being furious at studio execs and the like.
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
Anybody watch Deadwood? Thinking of getting into it. Like a TV series version of True Grit or other Westerns. I've heard some people compare it to the Wire and Sopranos.
Yup, watched it when it was on Sky One. It's pretty good, I wouldn't compare it to shows such as The Sopranos and The Wire, but it's pretty high calibre. Very violent.
Ape Gone Insane
Feels weird seeing a pink sticky. We are mere mortals now. :moon:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (114)
26.21%
No (321)
73.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise