Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    We had a ghost student too! He was on all the registers and no one had a clue who he was... it turned out he hadn't managed to get a visa in time, so couldn't start the course, but he became legendary :faydreaming:
    We reckon that was what happened to our ghost. Luckily they'd removed her from the lists for second year.

ReputationRep:
    No ghost students. but one in my group might as well have been

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    And then a month later only 10% of it's actually being used :teehee:

See all the essays and stuff is kind of what puts me off doing an intercalated degree. I think I'd be awful at any normal degree :rolleyes:
    Tbh, I think the same thing. I can imagine it being so different to the way I work on the normal degree - so much self directed reading which isn't a major thing on the normal MBBS. What's weird for me is that there aren't any (recommended) textbooks I can fall back on if I don't understand something - it's all based on primary research papers/tutorials/pbls on actual pbls - that is the bulk of our course. Errr... :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    We had a ghost student too! He was on all the registers and no one had a clue who he was... it turned out he hadn't managed to get a visa in time, so couldn't start the course, but he became legendary :faydreaming:
    Have you started here yet? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and apparently the incoming freshers here at Barts consists of 87% grads on the standard 5 year course! :eek3: Apparently that's because the grads wanted to miss the increased fees from 2012 entry. Now, that's not a turn in the right direction IMO. I would not like to be a school leaver with that many grads in my year. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the grads on our course and tbh, most of my friends here are grads, but it's also nice to start your degree with a vast majority of people who this is also new to, not people who've done it all before. And i thought 60% grads on the 5 year course in the year below me was tough on school leavers! Hmmm. We have like 40% in our year iirc. Soon, the 5 year course will eventually become a prolonged Grad Entry Programme...

Also, sorry for the triple post. It's well dodgy multi quoting on my phone. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Oh, and apparently the incoming freshers here at Barts consists of 87% grads on the standard 5 year course! :eek3: Apparently that's because the grads wanted to miss the increased fees from 2012 entry. Now, that's not a turn in the right direction IMO. I would not like to be a school leaver with that many grads in my year. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the grads on our course and tbh, most of my friends here are grads, but it's also nice to start your degree with a vast majority of people who this is also new to, not people who've done it all before. And i thought 60% grads on the 5 year course in the year below me was tough on school leavers! Hmmm. We have like 40% in our year iirc. Soon, the 5 year course will eventually become a prolonged Grad Entry Programme...

87%? ****ing hell.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    And I thought UEA was high with ~50%!

ReputationRep:
    Have you started here yet? :teeth:
    I arrive a week tomorrow

ReputationRep:

That's insane, beyond anything there must have been so many disappointed school leaver applicants this year! I would certainly have felt somewhat intimidated if there were that many on my course. I have no idea about what % my year group is, but it can't be more than 30% (probably less).

ReputationRep:
    Very similar thing here last year. We had a girl who was meant to be in my pbl group, EPC group (GP shiznit) and MedSoc group (Hospital shiznit), but she never turned up. It was the strangest thing ever. No one had heard of her before from our year. She wasn't in the year above us because another girl I was with in those groups was repeating the year and had never heard of her (I know thats not good enough evidence). I don't think anyone knew who she was. And she never turned up for anything. Freaky... :iiam:
    When I was in year 3, there was on the exam lists who had apparently been there for 30 years or so, at least according to the one of the Pharmacology department secretaries (ancient dinossaur-like woman) we talked to, and he was already a mature student when he enrolled.

ReputationRep:
    First of my old friends from school to get married tomorrow, another having his first child in 4 weeks. Suddenly makes me feel all growed up.

Bet this kind of thing will keep happening whilst I'm still at uni.

ReputationRep:
    People getting married is scary. I have 2 friends from uni engaged but that is ok because niether plan on actually getting married for 4/5 years.

I then had a terrifying talk with 2 friends which turned to how they would bring up their kids (!). My flatmate and boyfriend have practically been an couple from the 50's where she stays home and he works with dinner ready when he gets back. The only thing missing is the briefcase and bland food.

I still find it terrifying when I get called, 'sir' or 'MrX' I don't even have the excuse the MrX is my dad as he has only ever been DrX.

I don't feel grown up and currently I never want to. I like only doing things on a whim and because I enjoy them. I need for find never never land soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    That's insane, beyond anything there must have been so many disappointed school leaver applicants this year! I would certainly have felt somewhat intimidated if there were that many on my course. I have no idea about what % my year group is, but it can't be more than 30% (probably less).
    I know!

But I heard something ridiculous like there being 2500 applications for 40 or so GEP places at GKT this year. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    I arrive a week tomorrow
    Excellent

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Excellent

:ninja:
    87% grads? Where did you find this out though? If it's true they might as well pack it in and call it extended GEP.. school leavers shouldn't waste a space on their UCAS if Barts openly favour GEPs like this.

ReputationRep:
    Well if this continues to other medical schools any time soon. I can see undergrad medicine dying and it becoming like the US

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    87% grads? Where did you find this out though? If it's true they might as well pack it in and call it extended GEP.. school leavers shouldn't waste a space on their UCAS if Barts openly favour GEPs like this.
    I've heard it from 2 different sources. :ninja: Oh this is so 007! :teeth:

It was mentioned in our RAG meeting and from one of the people I know on the SPC this year. I hope it's not true.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard it from 2 different sources. :ninja: Oh this is so 007! :teeth:

It was mentioned in our RAG meeting and from one of the people I know on the SPC this year. I hope it's not true.
    That's outrageous. I'd be so pissed off if I was the 13% from school. I was annoyed that there was 60% grad when I was expecting ~30%. Don't get me wrong, I get on fine with grads but they are older and the vast majority of school leavers will not gel anywhere near as well as people in their early 20s as those in their late teens.

First BL have their pile of **** "UCAS points" to try to atificially put themselves up meaningless league tables and now this. This was not the medical school I applied to and firmed over two others two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    That's outrageous. I'd be so pissed off if I was the 13% from school. I was annoyed that there was 60% grad when I was expecting ~30%. Don't get me wrong, I get on fine with grads but they are older and the vast majority of school leavers will not gel anywhere near as well as people in their early 20s as those in their late teens.

First BL have their pile of **** "UCAS points" to try to atificially put themselves up meaningless league tables and now this. This was not the medical school I applied to and firmed over two others two years ago.
    I am with you on that. glad mine isn't like that. Yet.

We are just having less and less people involved in ICSM. But then as a traitor myself I can't complain.

ReputationRep:
    I arrive a week tomorrow
    :awesome:

Soon you'll have to suffer me for a year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.