This discussion is part of a series.
view next
jam278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RD208)
Rakitic was brilliant last night, as was Modric. Both just ooze class and they dominated midfield imo.

Can't wait to see Spain tonight. Silva is a key player I think. I just dont understand why people are ruling Spain out? :confused:
Yeah there was one pass that Rakitic made that was amazing. lead to a chance I think. Barca have got a good guy there.
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
VdB needs to start Cesc up front. Costa isn't right for them. Funny that both of Chelsea's new signings are both fighting for the same spot in the Spain side.

How are they expected to line up, anyone know?
RD208
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
VdB needs to start Cesc up front. Costa isn't right for them. Funny that both of Chelsea's new signings are both fighting for the same spot in the Spain side.

How are they expected to line up, anyone know?
I Reckon:

Casillas

Azpilicueta
Ramos
Pique
Alba

Busquets
Alonso

Xavi
Iniesta
Silva

Costa
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RD208)
I Reckon:

Casillas

Azpilicueta
Ramos
Pique
Alba

Busquets
Alonso

Xavi
Iniesta
Silva

Costa
Seems about right. Looks like Pedro will take Navas' role as the impact sub. Shame because I'd have him starting over Silva otherwise.
RD208
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems about right. Looks like Pedro will take Navas' role as the impact sub. Shame because I'd have him starting over Silva otherwise.
Really? I'd have Pedro starting over Costa if I was going to play him.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RD208)
Really? I'd have Pedro starting over Costa if I was going to play him.
Not so sure about Pedro through the middle. You'd think he's key for Spain though because he's their only attacking player who has real pace.
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Costa runs into the channels and works his socks off. A lack of pace can be compensated for by having a high work rate.
Vae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Too early to say that Costa doesn't work for Spain imo. On paper he doesn't fit the profile for a striker in VdB's system, at all, but then he was given so little game time to gel with the team that it's hard to draw any conclusion. In the past few games he played he showed glimpses of brilliance linking up with Iniesta, so there's definitely potential that should be built on, he could really provide some power that Spain are lacking up front. Problem is that he's also coming back from injury so it could be a risk starting him.

Pedro does work through the middle and can be quite lethal doing that, but only if he gets loads of space. So it depends on the opponent and whether or not the game is stretched through wingplay and with Iniest and Silva playing on the wings I doubt he's the best choice for the CF position. The safest option VdB could go with atm is playing Cesc as false 9 as usual.

(Original post by tengentoppa)
You'll find no club more dignified than Real Madrid. Fabregas would not have been treated so poorly by the great Castilian club.
True, you have Marca doing the job for you
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Spain team looks very strong. Exactly what I though it was going to be. Good to see them playing with a striker.

IMO, this is the team to beat at the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RD208
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not so sure about Pedro through the middle. You'd think he's key for Spain though because he's their only attacking player who has real pace.
The way Spain plays pace doesn't matter. They'll dominate possession in The Netherlands half, forcing them back. I dont think there will be a lot of space for a player like Pedro to exploit. They'll being relying on threading passes through to Costa and midfielders making late runs into the box.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just completely unnecessary, the Barcelona Cesc statement. It probably comes down to that bitter feud with Laporta-Rosell. Cesc was a Pep signing who in turn had a closeness to Laporta so it seems, in light of how Abidal was treated etc, that this latest incident is part of that bitterness from the leadership.
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did he really just say 'casillas' champions league heroics' ?

:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
De Gea
Azpi J.Martinez Ramos Alba
Busquets
Fabregas Koke
Pedro Costa Iniesta

Go on VdB, do it. BTW, hasn't he realised yet that Cesc is a golden player for them?! Golden!

Edit - Actually, nah **** that. They need the Juan.

De Gea
Azpi Javi Ramos Alba
Busquets
Koke Iniesta
Mata Cesc Pedro
tengentoppa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
The same RM that has had 11 different managers in the last 10 years? So dignified :coma:
As John Toshack said, "it is better to be sacked by Real Madrid than by any other club". Every one of those managers was privileged to have managed the greatest club in the world, and all learnt a lot from their experiences.
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And this is why Casillas was dropped by Real Madrid.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam278)
And this is why Casillas was dropped by Real Madrid.
Looks like they've got the wrong Fernando Torres too judging by that miss.
jam278
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fizzel)
Looks like they've got the wrong Fernando Torres too judging by that miss.
Yeah the real Fernando is on a beach somewhere in San Sebastien.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
5-1 victory against Spain...! the Netherlands made so much fun yesterday. Every single goal of the Netherlands was like a revolution against Spanish hegemony. Take this, dull short passing game!
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
fact.. Last night was the first time Spain conceded 5+ goals in an international match since losing 6-2 to Scotland in June 1963 :lol:
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague · 11m

According to @lamacope Higuain about to sign for FC Barcelona
Erm, what?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.26%
No - I got the required grades (109)
59.24%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise