Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Fair point though I think the rest plus the rest of the US would more than outweigh the nutty parts. All they really need is to abolish the second amendment and then agree to something like the ECHR.
    And reform the political system so things can actually be done and the President is the candidate with the most votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    And reform the political system so things can actually be done and the President is the candidate with the most votes.
    Well the federal parliament would have to be elected in one way but I don't think they really need to change their parliamentary institution. While the president needs the authority to prevent the debt ceiling malarkey, its not always a bad thing that Congress and the Senate have to find consensus to get stuff through when the electorate don't have a clear opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Does avoiding contractions in informal writing such as here on TSR seem pretentious or however inappropriate, please? I am wondering because I am pretty much the only person doing it, apparently.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Does avoiding contractions in informal writing such as here on TSR seem pretentious or however inappropriate, please? I am wondering because I am pretty much the only person doing it, apparently.
    I tend to, why?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully there is a motion on money creation coming to the House soon. Should be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone talks in acronyms. Even some people in Information Technology spell out words from time to time (when they communicate).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I tend to, why?
    I am unable to assess how do I appear based upon my writing style.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Not everyone talks in acronyms. Even some people in Information Technology spell out words from time to time (when they communicate).
    I meant contractions using an apostrophe like n't instead of not, I'm instead of I am, -'re instead of are, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am unable to assess how do I appear based upon my writing style.

I meant contractions using an apostrophe like n't instead of not, I'm instead of I am, -'re instead of are, etc.
    There isn't any real benefit to avoiding contractions in general. Using the longer form can be helpful for emphasis in contrast to the standard, contracted form.

Anyone else considering becoming an MP one day in their local?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Its pretty hard to be selected and especially in the more rural constituencies you have to be a raving nutter.

If you have money and are willing to stand in a safe opposing party seat then its probably easier.

The best bet for people here is becoming a councilor.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Its pretty hard to be selected and especially in the more rural constituencies you have to be a raving nutter.

If you have money and are willing to stand in a safe opposing party seat then its probably easier.

The best bet for people here is becoming a councilor.
    I'm not sure that you need to be a nutter

Council is rather humdrum, I need Westminster not Richmond :lol:

ReputationRep:
    My mum is such a colossal moron. Surely we have to vote yes, I hope so much that it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    My mum is such a colossal moron. Surely we have to vote yes, I hope so much that it happens.
    There is no case for independence, the Yes campaign are saying whatever they can to get the votes and purposely deceiving people whilst doing so.

If the Yes campaign ran themselves by proposing what they want/actual independence, then I would have some respect for it.

You're for or against?
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    There is no case for independence.
    Yes there is, the issue is whether the maths adds up, I think it will but to an extent as in there will be cuts to public services and uni will no longer be free but Scotland can be sustained on what they received

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe Salmond didn't best Darling. Any chances you did have evaporated.

ReputationRep:
    Only when you see stuff like this do you see how truly absurd patriarchy is!

http://www.thefrisky.com/2014-08-06/...redirect=false

ReputationRep:
    No, as it will be Tory for all the time I live there. I have thought about standing tor the MRLP though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28844131

James Alexander Gordon RIP. Recognised by anyone listening to the football results in the days before Twitter and mobile BBC sport.

ReputationRep:
    Yes there is, the issue is whether the maths adds up, I think it will but to an extent as in there will be cuts to public services and uni will no longer be free but Scotland can be sustained on what they received
    Scotland, like much of the UK runs a deficit (21 out of the past 22 years), furthermore Scotland's deficit per head is the same as rUK, in this economic climate why would you take on such massive risks (job losses, capital flight and economic instability etc.) for little/no benefit?

However that being said as long as North Sea oil remains high, and the initial hit is taken, Scotland could of course be a successful country, but I'm not sure that they could be more successful than the UK, and therein (should) lie the debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the Greens sweep into popularity and need a pool of available activists, then sure! Otherwise... it's probably unlikely.

(Original post by meenu89)
    I can't believe Salmond didn't best Darling. Any chances you did have evaporated.
    I still don't think independence is going to happen this time round, but the polls seem to have actually swung to yes slightly since the debate.

Surely we have to vote yes, I hope so much that it happens.
    Glad I won't be alone when we have our TSR Referendum!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.