Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
vapid slut magician
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I ought to make a docs appointment. Im running out of Valium.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i don't know much about antidepressants. Im on beta blockers to help with anxiety

what sorts/types are there, that do what??
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
fed up of feeling numb again and not knowing why. fed up of not being motivated to do certain things and so scared about 2009

Anna...usually doctors first put you on SSRIs. http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068871
There are soooo many drugs out there that it can take a while to find one that suits you. I was put on Fluoxetine and I was fine on it but I know others, such as raspberry, who have had horrible side effects and felt even worse on it. You have to be very careful and depending on symptoms and side effects, doctors will choose different drugs for different people.
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do beta blockers work?
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sexysax)
Do beta blockers work?

just slows down my heart rate to prevent panic attacks
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not many are on label for anxiety, just escitalopram and paroxetine really.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do beta blockers work?
in my experience; no
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm so upset I've been paid for my 4 days at Tesco but I swear the company have paid me incorrectly. Got to ring them tomorrow and deal with reclaiming tax and stuff. I didn't even fill in a P46 like I should have. I only know I should have because I've just looked it up online. Grr! So upset More hassle to be dealing with and I just can't be doing with it at the minute
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
I'm so upset I've been paid for my 4 days at Tesco but I swear the company have paid me incorrectly. Got to ring them tomorrow and deal with reclaiming tax and stuff. I didn't even fill in a P46 like I should have. I only know I should have because I've just looked it up online. Grr! So upset More hassle to be dealing with and I just can't be doing with it at the minute
:hugs: Hi Liz.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)

sorry to hear this

im slowly trying to rebuild my relationship with those around me..giving them space and time, but i asked one of them (ex) how he was..and he just went 'im fine, bye'...no 'how are you?' nothing...

no one cares...
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
sorry to hear this

im slowly trying to rebuild my relationship with those around me..giving them space and time, but i asked one of them (ex) how he was..and he just went 'im fine, bye'...no 'how are you?' nothing...

no one cares...
:console:
Helen Foster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do beta blockers work?
Some people find it can make them more anxious. It will stop the racing heart and associated symptoms but some find that it slows down their heart enough to make them feel cold, sweaty and dizzy. If you don't mind those as a side effect, they're quite effective in treating anxiety in the short term, but if you know it's likely to make you panic more, it's not worth it.

As for SSRIs, they're not to be taken lightly. I personally wouldn't recommed them as anything other than an absolute last resort. They can often leave you feeling even more depressed than before when you have to come off them. An overwhelming number of people wind up being on them for life.
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.
Screw it. Another post about how :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: I feel won't achieve anything. Here's a kitten.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helen Foster)
Some people find it can make them more anxious. It will stop the racing heart and associated symptoms but some find that it slows down their heart enough to make them feel cold, sweaty and dizzy. If you don't mind those as a side effect, they're quite effective in treating anxiety in the short term, but if you know it's likely to make you panic more, it's not worth it.

As for SSRIs, they're not to be taken lightly. I personally wouldn't recommed them as anything other than an absolute last resort. They can often leave you feeling even more depressed than before when you have to come off them. An overwhelming number of people wind up being on them for life.

Im not being rude, just asking!

Do you suffer with depression personally? as the idea of this society is just support really for those that suffer from it, we get advice from healthcare professionals all the time..
Helen Foster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
Im not being rude, just asking!

Do you suffer with depression personally? as the idea of this society is just support really for those that suffer from it, we get advice from healthcare professionals all the time..
I've suffered with anxiety, panic attacks, health related anxiety and the resulting depression. My mother is bipolar and my father is depressed and possibly alcoholic. So, yes I've experience of it. Personally.

My advice comes from both a professional and personal position.
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helen Foster)

I've been on citalopram before and have come off it twice, currently the second time. Off to the doctors at 10 to see what he says. I just need to not feel like this all the time .
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can one only claim to have depression if they've been clinically diagnosed with it?
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe it's about time I joined this society. Not sure what to say though.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Maybe it's about time I joined this society. Not sure what to say though.
Hi, :hugs:

Feel free to say whatever you want.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just want to say, ive booked an appointment with my doctor, requesting to go on some better medication..im moving on up
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise