Maths Uni Chat Watch

Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I tell people I do maths I either get:
"Oooooh, you must be clever then!" (generally middle-aged women)
"I was rubbish at maths when I was at school..." (same demographic)
"Oh good, I like maths. Are you onto quadratics yet?" (men)
"Huh? You're not weedy enough to be a mathematician." (assorted)

On the subject of Du Sautoy, he's a total hack. He makes out like he's God's gift to maths when actually his research output is pretty modest compared to others. He just happens to be one of the more televisable mathematicians.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Just had the most bull**** exam ever.

The first question was wrong, had a mistake that totally wasted fiften minutes of my life thinking it's wrong. So that's like 5 marks down the drain.

Then, on complex bit there was another mistake that probably going to cost me the marks in that question.

Which, I'm not that fussed. But, I would thought that the examineer would do the questions before hand and not make obvious mistakes. Also, they put some nasty numbers in it.
Meteorshower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Exams finally finished... So happy!
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My final exam is on Wednesday.....comp numerical methods.....can I get a YAWNNNNN
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)

The first question was wrong, had a mistake that totally wasted fiften minutes of my life thinking it's wrong. So that's like 5 marks down the drain.

Then, on complex bit there was another mistake that probably going to cost me the marks in that question.

Which, I'm not that fussed. But, I would thought that the examineer would do the questions before hand and not make obvious mistakes. Also, they put some nasty numbers in it.
What was the paper on if you don't mind me asking?
ChrisKing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Not impressed that they decided to tell us there was a sign error which changed most of the working for that question! Which ones did you pick in the end?

What numbers were nasty? I didn't think they were any more nastier than in previous papers/example sheets.
Piecewise
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by around)
I get a lot of 'you must be really clever' comments, which I'm never sure how to respond to.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Happens occasionally at Warwick too... (I'm not a graduate by the way!). It's only an exam! So long as you understand the stuff it doesn't matter too much...
DCmole
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jake22)
The only tool I see is one DCmole.
You sir, are one of the most abject weapons known to society.
:lies:
:mob:
LOL :auto: :doctor:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by boromir9111)
I think two. First one was that it said infinity, with no sign on it. Assumed plus infinity ten minutes later when I'm like this is impossible, get told there is a minus sign. Still couldn't get it.

lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^3+ 2x + 3}{x^4 - x^2}= - \infty
Next problem I think was use the estimation lemma to deduce

\int_y \frac{1}{z^2 + 2z - 3) dz| \leq \frac{5\pi}{6}

This new forum makes it impossible to latex.

When it should be 10pi/18. I suppose it isn't wrong techniquely.

(Original post by ChrisKing)
Not impressed that they decided to tell us there was a sign error which changed most of the working for that question! Which ones did you pick in the end?

What numbers were nasty? I didn't think they were any more nastier than in previous papers/example sheets.
Stuff like 2pi/root(15). Thought I went wrong when I factorise it. I picked A1, A3,B5, B6 and B8. Was going to do A2, but couldn't do the first two bits, but could do the two proofs so left that.

(Original post by IrrationalNumber)
Happens occasionally at Warwick too... (I'm not a graduate by the way!). It's only an exam! So long as you understand the stuff it doesn't matter too much...
I suppose. But, when it costs me marks I'm not that happy. It's like I'm pretty sure they could have one postgrad do the paper, the mistake was on the first page so couldn't understand.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by harr)
Girl at bop: "What are you studying?"
Me: "Maths."
Girl: "I'm so sorry."
Or, the Good Will Hunting version:

Girl: "It's not your fault."

Of course you realise that from now on, whenever you see that girl you're going to be thinking of her as Robin Williams...
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)

Of course you realise that from now on, whenever you see that girl you're going to be thinking of her as Robin Williams...
This is just disturbing
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is just disturbing
It was supposed to be...
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh.....mission accomplished.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)

I hadn't met her before (as far as I'm aware) and my ability to remember people is awful, so I can't actually remember who she was.

I don't remember what Robin Williams looks like for that matter...

My memory of most of the film is hazy at best. I remember that scene, the one where I found out where Futurama got "how do you like them bananas?" from, and the one where I got hit in the eye.
ChrisKing
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think two. First one was that it said infinity, with no sign on it. Assumed plus infinity ten minutes later when I'm like this is impossible, get told there is a minus sign. Still couldn't get it.

lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^3+ 2x + 3}{x^4 - x^2}= - \infty
Next problem I think was use the estimation lemma to deduce

\int_y \frac{1}{z^2 + 2z - 3) dz| \leq \frac{5\pi}{6}

This new forum makes it impossible to latex.

When it should be 10pi/18. I suppose it isn't wrong techniquely.

Stuff like 2pi/root(15). Thought I went wrong when I factorise it. I picked A1, A3,B5, B6 and B8. Was going to do A2, but couldn't do the first two bits, but could do the two proofs so left that.
I'm guessing you meant 10pi/12?

yeah that last one was a little weird number wise but I checked it 3 times so hopefully it'll be alright, I done the same questions as you it seems most people picked the same.

Real and Complex Analysis.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Today I missed Algebraic Topology (as did two of the three other people from my college who do that course and take copyable notes), then rushed to get to Number Fields, which isn't on on Saturdays. Hanging around for an hour doing nothing didn't seem particularly productive, so I went back to my room, which means I'm about to miss Geometry and Groups.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by harr)
Today I missed Algebraic Topology (as did two of the three other people from my college who do that course and take copyable notes), then rushed to get to Number Fields, which isn't on on Saturdays. Hanging around for an hour doing nothing didn't seem particularly productive, so I went back to my room, which means I'm about to miss Geometry and Groups.
Why you got lectures on a saturday?

That would suck so much. Not that I do anything particularly decent on saturday.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why you got lectures on a saturday?

That would suck so much. Not that I do anything particularly decent on saturday.
I quite like not having to do too many lectures on any particular day. Having three Saturday lectures, the first at 9AM, isn't something I'm particularly keen on though.

Edit: I only have two Saturday lectures, as I should have learnt today.
around
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I quite like not having to do too many lectures on any particular day. Having three Saturday lectures, the first at 9AM, isn't something I'm particularly keen on though.

Edit: I only have two Saturday lectures, as I should have learnt today.
I dislike how they make all the interesting lectures 9AM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (224)
39.16%
No - but I will (40)
6.99%
No - I don't want to (39)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (269)
47.03%

Watched Threads