24.74%
Tom (125)
43.55%
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think all of the business plans were disappointing, nothing jumped out as if to say, wow thats a good idea! I think Tom was the best choice for the winner because Lord Sugar and Tom are both in the same boat, they both enjoy bringing products to market. Because of this Lord Sugar will garrentee the success of the product, because he has been there and done it, so if Tom gets stuck he can help him out, and Lord Sugar will most enjoy this one.

Although he said he wanted to get into the cosmetics industry, Susan was getting quite alot wrong. Calculating the profit of the first year based on her selling a different product on a market stall is wrong. Thats like me saying if 5 of my friends buy my e-book at £5 each, it means when i sell it on the mass market to 50 thousand people i will... wait, who said 50,000 people are going to be interested in it? Get my drift?

Well done Tom

Edit: And if Susan gets the figures wrong she will go bankrupt fast, if she is planning to make £1m in the first year, and spend £500,000 of that on year 2 developing products then fine, but if she only makes £550,000 on year one, she only has £50,000 left, when she expected to have £500,000
Nasher and Basher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you heard the apprentice song ?

http://www.studentbeans.com/video/th...ampaign=videos
Bitethedust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not the best series but still world class TV entertainment. Does junior apprentice arrive in summer? I do hope so.
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheBritishBloke)
This is true, if anything I thought that Jim's business idea was the best, but he wasn't the best to implement the idea.

Re: Junior Apprentice. You may have seen my post where I met Nick whilst they were filming it (He's managing the Red team), this was during a flower task, I'm just hoping that I get on TV, because at the last minute I offered them £5 to take the rest of the flowers off of their hands, which they refused. Although the person I spoke to originally said "You'll take my what?" as though I'd just said I'd kidnap her.. They were terrible, they were barely showing off that they were selling flowers. Although the group at Westfield seemed to be doing good business.
:rofl: If you said 'I'll take your flowers for £5' addressing the group it could have sounded quite funny in fairness! Wrong too obviously, but if she was a bit immature I can see what would have been odd about it.
passthedutchie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't understand why everybody is banging on about a losing record. LS clearly selects people by the way they go about things. First thing LS said: i don't like schmoozers, *rse lickers etc. You would think at least that message was crisp and clear.

It makes me happy to see that a powerful businessman like LS punishes bad behavior like shifting blame, lies etc. EVEN if they made a profit. I think LS is, at heart, a true knight. Honesty before money.

Jim could have gone further had he just bottled it and come up with something truly original. The most crazy thing is: i think Jim can. The biscuits task shows Jim certainly does listen to customers and can come up with interesting stuff. But when he went back into schmooze-mode, LS threw him out. And rightly so.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be fair, it doesn't really matter too much who wins, because at the end of the day all the contestants have won in a way. I guess the main downside is that if they lose the competition they don't get a job or partnership with the prestigious Lord Sugar, but they all already have pretty successful careers to go back to anyway. And then the publicity they get from the programme makes more people aware of their products and services who may not have known about them otherwise, such as Susan with her skincare range, Tom with his various inventions and Gavin with his glasses company.
passthedutchie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
To be fair, it doesn't really matter too much who wins, because at the end of the day all the contestants have won in a way.
Hear, hear. These are top 16 out of a bunch of thousands. It's like choosing between better and best.

Trying counts for something in my book. Not wanting to go onto the street, lie, beg, steal your way through life. These are ambitious, reasonably organized, working people who are worthy of any employers' consideration.

This show is first and foremost about the "can-do" attitude.
flowermaster91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Happy for Tom :king1:

gutted susan didnt win but im happy there might be something for her with sir alan sugar after all :yep:
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by passthedutchie)
Hear, hear. These are top 16 out of a bunch of thousands. It's like choosing between better and best.

Trying counts for something in my book. Not wanting to go onto the street, lie, beg, steal your way through life. These are ambitious, reasonably organized, working people who are worthy of any employers' consideration.

This show is first and foremost about the "can-do" attitude.
Ah yes, thanks for pointing out something else that I'd forgotten to mention :yy:. Becoming part of the final 16 and beating 1000s of people to get in the main competition is also certainly an admirable feat for each of them.

I've read the biographies of all the contestants and been on some of their websites and from what I've read they have all really achieved some great things in their life. They're the type of people I admire
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My opinion of the business proposals:

Susan: I liked it. Sure, she was a bit naive with her figures, but that's the bonus of having Sugar there as a business partner. She was enthusiastic about her business proposal, the idea was solid and Sugar could have provided more of the 'sense' to the business. But also don't forget, she has already done this.

Helen: Extremely weak business proposal - extremely. As one of the interviewers pointed out, why would most people pay someone to phone their dentist and send them reminders? Taking that straight to the masses would never work; you'd need to build up the local connections first, then spread. Her bakery was nothing special either.

Jim: In some ways, I liked it. I liked the idea and I think he could have run with that. However, I agree with Nick - the whole plan was an exercise in buttering Sugar up. In some ways, I admire the gumption of it all, it's clear that he was just using Sugar as a front to his business. Mostly, I just think it's slippery.

Tom: Much as I like Tom, I don't think he deserved to win with this idea. No business can cure the world's back pain and there are already companies trying to. There are already ergonomic chairs designed to help back pain - I have one! His whole plan was flawed and he was ultimately hired because he has already designed a product and marketed it, not on the strength of his business plan for partnership with Sugar.

Even though I was rooting for Tom all along so I'm pleased I finally picked the winner correctly, I think Susan ultimately deserved to win.
passthedutchie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
Ah yes, thanks for pointing out something else that I'd forgotten to mention :yy:. Becoming part of the final 16 and beating 1000s of people to get in the main competition is also certainly an admirable feat for each of them.

I've read the biographies of all the contestants and been on some of their websites and from what I've read they have all really achieved some great things in their life. They're the type of people I admire
I think LS is deeply concerned with young people and Britain's future. He wants to tell everybody sitting on their *rse behind the telly:

You CAN do. You can sell (Tom), you're not an idiot (Suzie), you can sell 800.000 cookies (Jim). People are flexible, creative, intelligent and it's right there in your own hands.

You just need to go beyond that comfort zone. LS is there to help if you do. If only more employers thought like him....
RachelOranges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love Tom....:perv: so glad he won. Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy!
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
My opinion of the business proposals:

Susan: I liked it. Sure, she was a bit naive with her figures, but that's the bonus of having Sugar there as a business partner. She was enthusiastic about her business proposal, the idea was solid and Sugar could have provided more of the 'sense' to the business. But also don't forget, she has already done this.

Helen: Extremely weak business proposal - extremely. As one of the interviewers pointed out, why would most people pay someone to phone their dentist and send them reminders? Taking that straight to the masses would never work; you'd need to build up the local connections first, then spread. Her bakery was nothing special either.

Jim: In some ways, I liked it. I liked the idea and I think he could have run with that. However, I agree with Nick - the whole plan was an exercise in buttering Sugar up. In some ways, I admire the gumption of it all, it's clear that he was just using Sugar as a front to his business. Mostly, I just think it's slippery.

Tom: Much as I like Tom, I don't think he deserved to win with this idea. No business can cure the world's back pain and there are already companies trying to. There are already ergonomic chairs designed to help back pain - I have one! His whole plan was flawed and he was ultimately hired because he has already designed a product and marketed it, not on the strength of his business plan for partnership with Sugar.
The gist of it that I got was that the chair is binned. I think Sugar was attracted to Tom as an inventor rather than the chair in particular and by the sounds of it has his eyes on the already successful nail file.
Sovietpride
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Llamageddon)
The gist of it that I got was that the chair is binned. I think Sugar was attracted to Tom as an inventor rather than the chair in particular and by the sounds of it has his eyes on the already successful nail file.
Dont forget the emergency biscuit.
charcharchar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so happy for Tom and he's from my county... yay!
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sovietpride)
Dont forget the emergency biscuit.
How could I?
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Llamageddon)
Exactly! This series of The Apprentice was about Sugar investing in the winner's business. But he hasn't invested in Tom's magic chair/back pain cure business, he's invested in Tom the Inventor ... which I don't think was right.
otu1987
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hope next year they go back to looking for an employee, or, if they are to do the business partner thing again, it should be the FIRST task! Start with about 24 candidates and then only the top half of the business plans are allowed to compete. Based on this year that would rule out Susan & Helen who didn't even have viable plans.

And then during the series the business plan would have to be developed and parts of it implemented. Like one week they could be given £10k each and told to go off and demonstrate on a smaller scale that the idea that they have is viable. They missed a trick this year by not making the development of the eventual business and integral part of the show.
auzzieman04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
though the apprentice was hilarious this year, the tasks were ultimately meaningless, i think they should have changed the format for this prize
Dission
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Exactly! This series of The Apprentice was about Sugar investing in the winner's business. But he hasn't invested in Tom's magic chair/back pain cure business, he's invested in Tom the Inventor ... which I don't think was right.
Which distorts the format of the program. He could have hired him straight away and save the other candidates eleven weeks of pain. He was going to be the winner regardless, no matter how many tasks he would lose and no matter how crap his business plan was, which should make Helen think "well, then why haven´t I even bothered?".

In my opinion the prize doesn´t suit the format, either they do a Dragon´s Den thing or they change the whole structue of the program because it just doesn´t make any sense. Also this series has been really disappointing, you hear a lot of "bull****" from the candidates but the program itself is full of bs aswell. What´s with all that "Entrepreneurial elite of the country", "brightest minds"... What´s all that about? their business plans were flawed and conveyed very unprofessionally, and as for their skills, they are nothing spectacular in terms of business acumen, Helen is simply a very organised person, Jim is just a salesman with lots of tricks and Tom is an inventor whose greatest success is a curved nail file, only Susan has shown real business sense and entrepenerual flair.

Come on, 11 weeks of buzzwords and fireworks to end up investing 250k on a curved nail file? Really?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads