Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Hi!

I can confirm I've seen your request and have begun to process it.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    With the 3 resignations from Corbyn's shadow cabinet after this reshuffle; would the TSR Labour party agree with me in saying, Corbyn has lost control of his party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    With the 3 resignations from Corbyn's shadow cabinet after this reshuffle; would the TSR Labour party agree with me in saying, Corbyn has lost control of his party?
    Personally, I wouldn't at all. There is no prospect of Corbyn no longer being leader on anything except his own terms. I completely respect the position of these ministers walking away from a defence team when they feel they can't argue in favour of our defence policy and see it as preferable to the undermining the position of the leadership in the House.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Personally, I wouldn't at all. There is no prospect of Corbyn no longer being leader on anything except his own terms. I completely respect the position of these ministers walking away from a defence team when they feel they can't argue in favour of our defence policy and see it as preferable to the undermining the position of the leadership in the House.
    It has to be pointed out that just because he is unlikely to leave unless it's under his own terms does not necessarily mean that he has control of the plp, especially when him staying in if the plp forget that labour or incapable of challenging their leader is going to be on the back of the hard left forcing themselves in and moderates out rather than being on the back of the support of the PLP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It has to be pointed out that just because he is unlikely to leave unless it's under his own terms does not necessarily mean that he has control of the plp, especially when him staying in if the plp forget that labour or incapable of challenging their leader is going to be on the back of the hard left forcing themselves in and moderates out rather than being on the back of the support of the PLP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, he isn't the dream candidate of the PLP, we know that much! But I think the vast majority recognise that him and his allies aren't going anywhere and the only way they have a chance of winning in 2020 is by working with him rather than againist him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If polling is even on par with the general election for the council elections then he's going to lose massively in 2017 (Miliband had an almost 10% lead) after a drubbing this May, that's most likely when he'd get his IDS moment if there is one (the 2017 council elections will also be of note because Ukip will be defending their big gains - will the electorate have been pleased or tell them they were a bunch of amateurs).

How will Labour cope now that they've lost the marvelous Ray?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    How will Labour cope now that they've lost the marvelous Ray?
    Don't forget they have the marvellous Fez too, in fact we have more marvellous members per capita than any other party!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't forget they have the marvellous Fez too, in fact we have more marvellous members per capita than any other party!
    Are you defining every member, no matter how indoor inept or otherwise, "marvellous"? After all, you are the man that calls mediocrity excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Are you defining every member, no matter how indoor inept or otherwise, "marvellous"? After all, you are the man that calls mediocrity excellent.
    Well, it would seem the Tories have the highest number of members per capita that will take the most light-hearted comment incredibly seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to be satisfied until you provide rankings for each party on the marvellousness of their members now.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'm not going to be satisfied until you provide rankings for each party on the marvellousness of their members now.
    I just hope Saracen's Fez remembers who he's in Government with

ReputationRep:
    Now admittedly I was either doing mocks or asleep for nearly all of yesterday and as such haven't seen who actually resigned, but I was informed that they weren't actually shadow cabinet members, and that infact one apparently resigned live on the politics show...

In any case Corbyn has control of his Party, just not so much control over the PLP, but they are starting to accept that they have t work with him, not against him, if they ever hope to beat the tories
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Craic.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The Party, no, the PLP, well, he never really had it - which is down to the fact that a vocal minority of them cannot see that themselves accepting that Corbyn is the leader and trying to present a united front to attack the Tories is the only way that Britain will be getting a government that cares about the people in 2020.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think so - he made a very smart move in retaining the services of Hilary Benn. The real test will be the fallout from the review on Trident - either we'll see a leader having to rebel against his own party's policy or we'll see more than a few frontbench resignations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    I honestly don't think so - he made a very smart move in retaining the services of Hilary Benn. The real test will be the fallout from the review on Trident - either we'll see a leader having to rebel against his own party's policy or we'll see more than a few frontbench resignations.
    I surely hope Hilary Benn continues with his same political stance and as they say i hope his political wings haven't been clipped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Well the duo at the top of the review are now both anti-trident so I think the party may be, for the first time since 2983 I believe, be looking at having nuclear disarmament as a policy, if not we can be sure Corbyn will be unable to put himself through the yes lobby when voting to renew trident regardless
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Well the duo at the top of the review are now both anti-trident so I think the party may be, for the first time since 2983 I believe, be looking at having nuclear disarmament as a policy, if not we can be sure Corbyn will be unable to put himself through the yes lobby when voting to renew trident regardless
    Is it now 3016? I didn't think I was asleep for that long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is it now 3016? I didn't think I was asleep for that long
    It is 3016 and we are still bickering about nuclear weapons, what has the world come to

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.