Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm going out for dinner with my friends this evening. I have my progress review in the morning and now I have the twisty nasty feeling in my stomach.

I know I'm progressing really well, my department have mentioned it to me and individual teachers have too but one visit from a uni mentor and it blasts all prospective out of the window.

I just really suck at planning What are other people's plans looking like? I'm being pulled on planning for behaviour but it just seems really alien to me.
    Sorry to hear your obs didn't go well. I hate uni observations and I've never had a good one. All my amazing lessons haven't been observed. Typical. I do feel that it is unfair that we get judged on so few lessons (I have a total of three uni obs over the year). I just hope that even if all three went badly, our mentors would stick up for us as they know we are capable of more!

Try to forget about it tonight and enjoy being out with your friends. I'm sure your uni tutor is more understanding than you'd think - I'm sure they've seen much worse over the years!

ReputationRep:
    My uni always tell us that their observations are focusing more on the mentor and moderating them. Our placement grade is given by the mentor. Is this different for other people??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    My uni always tell us that their observations are focusing more on the mentor and moderating them. Our placement grade is given by the mentor. Is this different for other people??
    Yeah, my placement grade is given by the uni. The mentor doesn't get much of a say for me, but I'm sure she would stand my corner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Yeah, my placement grade is given by the uni. The mentor doesn't get much of a say for me, but I'm sure she would stand my corner.

Interesting! How can they make a decision with so little observation of you? I'm quite glad ours is down to our mentor...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the uni tutor decides?! I'm lucky for me it was my placement mentors. My uni tutor came in and observed a lesson where he'd be 'worried if it was his child in the room' and put me on cause for concern. Fortunately I had a top mentor who understood that I wasn't that bad and took everything into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Interesting! How can they make a decision with so little observation of you? I'm quite glad ours is down to our mentor...

(Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Wow, the uni tutor decides?! I'm lucky for me it was my placement mentors. My uni tutor came in and observed a lesson where he'd be 'worried if it was his child in the room' and put me on cause for concern. Fortunately I had a top mentor who understood that I wasn't that bad and took everything into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I wish it was my mentor too! I feel so much pressure when I have a uni observation because I know so much rides on it. I don't think it's fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I'm going out for dinner with my friends this evening. I have my progress review in the morning and now I have the twisty nasty feeling in my stomach.

I know I'm progressing really well, my department have mentioned it to me and individual teachers have too but one visit from a uni mentor and it blasts all prospective out of the window.

I just really suck at planning What are other people's plans looking like? I'm being pulled on planning for behaviour but it just seems really alien to me.
    I find planning for behaviour relatively easy - in my first few lessons with each of my classes, I made a seating plan and annotated it with who to look out for behaviour wise and why (chatty, easily distracted) and it's literally just a case of anticipating at what point in your lesson they would misbehave. For example: When you've set the kids some independent work that isn't in silence.

If it helps, I could send you a lesson plan I've done before?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear your obs didn't go well. I hate uni observations and I've never had a good one. All my amazing lessons haven't been observed. Typical. I do feel that it is unfair that we get judged on so few lessons (I have a total of three uni obs over the year). I just hope that even if all three went badly, our mentors would stick up for us as they know we are capable of more!

Try to forget about it tonight and enjoy being out with your friends. I'm sure your uni tutor is more understanding than you'd think - I'm sure they've seen much worse over the years!
    Wait, seriously? You only have three over the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Wait, seriously? You only have three over the year?
    From uni, yeah. One every week from my mentor that is recorded. But the three uni ones are the big ones that matter. How many do you have from uni?

ReputationRep:
    From uni, yeah. One every week from my mentor that is recorded. But the three uni ones are the big ones that matter. How many do you have from uni?
    How can that possibly be fair when you're given your final grading?!

I have two university ones, but they don't count.

Our mentor makes the final decision!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I find planning for behaviour relatively easy - in my first few lessons with each of my classes, I made a seating plan and annotated it with who to look out for behaviour wise and why (chatty, easily distracted) and it's literally just a case of anticipating at what point in your lesson they would misbehave. For example: When you've set the kids some independent work that isn't in silence.

If it helps, I could send you a lesson plan I've done before?
    That would be absolutely brilliant. I'll PM you my email address when I get home

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Odd seing the different ways of doing it!

At my uni we had one official observation a week during the block placements, half were by the mentor/class teacher and half the uni placement supervisor (we had two, one for each placement, one of which was your professional development tutor). Then at the end of each placement the supervisor and the mentor sat down to discuss how you'd done, write up the report including targets and make the final judgement. I think the supervisor had final call but it was very much a joint decision. Always made sense to me!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We have 2 uni observations for each of our two block placements. They are mainly to ensure our mentor is grading correctly, I think. The final decision is made by the mentor. In my last placement I had no 'formal' observations by my mentor, though I'm primary so mentor is the class teacher anyway and sees you a lot! I'm newly into my second main placement so time will tell...my mentor seems fab, but is only part time. :-(
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've woken up this morning wanting to quit the course.

I don't understand what's happening or where anything that happened yesterday came from.

I don't want to teach today.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling paradoxsocks - I don't know if I want to be a teacher anymore, I know this has been a valuable experience but I really would like to go back into an office and sit quietly doing my job, I did have the odd presentation here and there but it wasn't 6 periods a day 5 days a week - heck even if it's admin hand me it - not teaching though, I feel exhausted all the time no matter how much I rest, at the back of my mind I still know I have lesson plans pending, lesson resources to make, that pesky little student who just will not listen nor respond to any form of discipline, marking to do, assessment levels to figure out... holidays, what holidays? All gone on planning your term. Sighs.

I know I'm organised and I can do it - but do I want to exhaust myself in my early 20s?

I must have aged atleast 5 years in the short amount of time I have worked, hair falling out in clumps, refusal to eat because of sheer stress and lack of appetite, anxiety, physical health taken a toll - worth it? No. I love my kids, I really do, but I need to love myself first. Have decided I'm either going part time or not doing it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Last day of term today, hurrah! Only inset tomorrow to get through and its easter holidays
    then only 5 weeks to the end of the course essentially!

ReputationRep:
    Well even though I left almost a month ago the dodgy college I did my PGCE at is still causing me grief. They didn't bother sending the notification to Student Finance so I had to remind them. Then when they did they didn't tell them it was on medical grounds like I stated (so I'm unable to get my 60 day grace period); when I asked them about this they said they didn't do it because it was "easier" for them. Urgh!! :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like BP2 is really stressful. I'll be starting my first big block placement after Easter and I'm really nervous and worried about all the stress that's coming my way. I would have thought the 2nd placement was slightly easier since you've already built up some school experience, but I'm assuming I'm wrong based on what I'm reading here. Good luck guys, you really haven't got that much longer to go. One day at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    Sounds like BP2 is really stressful. I'll be starting my first big block placement after Easter and I'm really nervous and worried about all the stress that's coming my way. I would have thought the 2nd placement was slightly easier since you've already built up some school experience, but I'm assuming I'm wrong based on what I'm reading here. Good luck guys, you really haven't got that much longer to go. One day at a time.
    I would say it is easier in some ways, but it depends on your school.

I am enjoying my second placement a lot more because I prefer the school, I am more used to the school environment and teaching in general, and I feel I am getting better at it. However, the workload is much, much higher for me, so the added enjoyment is sort of balanced out by the increase in stress :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? I haven't heard of that before. As that would be unfair and then what is the point of having a mentor.

Ours were given to us by the mentor and the Uni visit was basically like moderation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.