Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    people don't go because the fun and frivolous has been replaced by the glum and serious (w/ overbearing pseudo-homosexual vibes) and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - for example hastings used to be beer and jeer, now it's like question time :C

meh, that's imperial for you. I knew what I signed up for, and tbh I quite enjoy, never been one for drinking till I puke into the communal orange bucket
    :rofl: So true.

I am with you though. After first 2 terms I realised there is something wrong with going drinking with an orange bucket at the ready.

I didn't go to hustings. I saw little point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    If they go to imperial stuff I don't notice it. I do because I am involved in the dance soc at imperial rather than the ICSM one (they do totally different things so actually not that strange). But I hear complaints from other medics that more and more people are not going to bops and other even'ts. The sports teams do fine I think, though the did get a hit from having pitchers banned.

What are they doing to shut it down? I mean there is always talk about our bar being closed (tbh it makes a loss so I can see where they are coming from)
    They were trying to get our union closed down and ship us down the road to QM. They always try little niggles to force us to do stuff the QM way it's stupid.

What's bops? And lolwut? Pitchers were banned? That sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats digi mon! How did it go - have a nice break after the 7 hours?

I'm currently trawling through First Aid, been putting off the date for a year and a half now... any golden nuggets?
    You need to annotate first aid with:
    Brs physiology
    Brs path
    Clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple
    Lippincotts biochemistry
    Hy molecular biology.

Do two readthroughs of fa.
    Do USMLE world in random, timed full blocks.
    Annotate each explanation into FA
    Read FA again.

That's what I did. Have a healthy fear of this exam. It is no joke and will piss all over you, regardless of how well you do in med school.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RollerBall;33946272 At least then if it shuts down its because the majority of people don't want it, unlike QM who are trying their hardest to shut down the union by force.
    [/QUOTE]

Let's be honest, the union is a ****hole, it is barely ever open and only a solid clique of around 70 people I would say go to it on a reg basis. It was hardly open last year. Tbh, I am surprised QM were even bankrolling its renovation! Hats off to them.

ReputationRep:
    just saw simon from the inbetweeners on his todd at the bar in the camden head :wtf: have thought i'd seen a couple of celebs before, but it's always weird actually finding out in retrospect that it's official!

also in other news, just getting used to the OHCM - louis, i think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship... :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Let's be honest, the union is a ****hole, it is barely ever open and only a solid clique of around 70 people I would say go to it on a reg basis. It was hardly open last year. Tbh, I am surprised QM were even bankrolling its renovation! Hats off to them.
    The recently graduated doctors from BL I know/finalists from last year, say that the union was much better to hang out in the past. I obviously only have two years worth of experience to compare, but last year certainly wasn't as enjoyable as first year IMO. First year was crazy fun, but it probably was because we were a massive year so the union always felt relatively packed. I reckon things will be better this year though with a normal sized intake coming in... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Do you reckon I could make some quick cash by knocking up a Bath med website and charging £25 per prospectus?
    Please do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    You need to annotate first aid with:
    Brs physiology
    Brs path
    Clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple
    Lippincotts biochemistry
    Hy molecular biology.

Do two readthroughs of fa.
    Do USMLE world in random, timed full blocks.
    Annotate each explanation into FA
    Read FA again.

That's what I did. Have a healthy fear of this exam. It is no joke and will piss all over you, regardless of how well you do in med school.
    eugh. better get cracking then - how long did you give for doing revision? I might book once I've studied FA once properly

gz on finishing dude, they say that's the hardest and most important "step" and I guess it prepares you well for path and finals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    If you don't mind me asking... where are you planning on going in the US? What made you decide to go there?
    If I'm honest, ill go where I get a job. For the least competitive speciality (I'm) even with the a outstanding step 1 score (>260) only 60% of applicants with that sort of score will match. Its a tough game for IMGs.

Reasons?

I was born an expat, got itchy feet now. Time for a change soon.
    I want to travel and having an American postgrad training is very desirable and transferable. I quite like Canada and doing a residency in the US is a kind of backdoor into Canada (as it is essentially impossible to do a residency as an IMG in Canada)
    The postgraduate training system is much more structured there. There is a vast increase in the amount of formal training given to residents cf with the system in place here.
    Takes less time to become an attending/consultant there.
    No EWTD=firm based structure. Nice sense of continuity when you are on a specific rotation.
    Pay is much more than here.

Oh and they still wear white coats and ties! (Says something coming from the most litigious society on Earth!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    The recently graduated doctors from BL I know/finalists from last year, say that the union was much better to hang out in the past. I obviously only have two years worth of experience to compare, but last year certainly wasn't as enjoyable as first year IMO. First year was crazy fun, but it probably was because we were a massive year so the union always felt relatively packed. I reckon things will be better this year though with a normal sized intake coming in... :holmes:
    The union has always had it's ebbs and flows. The intake before mine were a low, the intake before them were a high. And that affects the tempo and the mood of the union for the year.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this will aid with our trolling.

In case any of you were wondering: no. I do not currently have a girlfriend or any important hobbies.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfBath prospectus.pdf (286.4 KB, 135 views)

ReputationRep:

In case any of you were wondering: no. I do not currently have a girlfriend or any important hobbies.
    Would we get half a point for knowing the speed of a migrating European swallow? Nice work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junior.doctor)
    Would we get half a point for knowing the speed of a migrating European swallow? Nice work
    I depends on whether the swallow in question weighs more or less than a duck.

ReputationRep:

mate you have far too much time on your hands lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    mate you have far too much time on your hands lol.
    Yes. Yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Yes I do.
    You sir, are a legend. :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    You sir, are a legend. :hat2:
    I've been told. Apparently I'm the 2nd funniest medic.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told. Apparently I'm the 2nd funniest medic.
    who's no1? the medic that designated you that status?

hr hr hrr

can someone please fill me in on the inside joke - I don't mind being an outsider outside, but not on the interweb :C

ReputationRep:

hr hr hrr

can someone please fill me in on the inside joke - I don't mind being an outsider outside, but not on the interweb :C
    It's probably Renal, there was a vote a few weeks ago. The inside joke is Bath medical school, look back a page or two.

ReputationRep:

hr hr hrr

We made up Bath having a med school to mess with the applicants who ask the same questions over and over a few years ago

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.