Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by King Kebab)
I never said the bank of England was an institution of a foreign country atm.

I said in the event of Scottish independence it is crazy to use the pound which has rates set by a country Scotland has no say in.
So why are the SNP so keen on it? Surely it's admitting that the status quo is better for Scotland than full independence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this an attack on me or a general point?
A general point. I think the SNP should have removal of the monarchy fairly high on their list-it cannot profess to have a fair society with the ultimate symbol of elitism still at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Possibly.

Are you suggesting that that English people should also have a vote on the issue as it may affect them too?
Not just English, but RUK citizens-however I would disagree. This is a referendum on whether Scotland wants to leave, not whether the UK wants to keep it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
So why are the SNP so keen on it? Surely it's admitting that the status quo is better for Scotland than full independence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No idea. I have already said multiple times on this thread that I have huge problems with the SNP, this idea being one of them.

Not necessarily, it could be a populist move by the SNP to make people not worry about joining the euro which most people are against as far as I know of.

Although, I don't know why they don't talk about a new Scottish currency, it is weird.
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A general point. I think the SNP should have removal of the monarchy fairly high on their list-it cannot profess to have a fair society with the ultimate symbol of elitism still at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough. I thought it was a general point (was just checking to make sure) and one that I fully agree with as a staunch Republican.
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not just English, but RUK citizens-however I would disagree. This is a referendum on whether Scotland wants to leave, not whether the UK wants to keep it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I'd agree with that too.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Kl, I thought that was the point you were making just making sure I didn't misinterpret you.

My answer is, I simply do not know whether England would be worse off because of separation from Scotland. I am not an economist. I try to focus on other aspects of the debate but I do think the economic side of things will be the main factor in how most people vote on the issue.

What I do think, and without trying to judge people who are English who oppose Scottish Independence is that some of them believe Scottish people believe English people are "idiots". While it is true you will get a few of the braveheart brigade, the vast majority of people who support Scottish independence support it for different reasons and challenge the braveheart brigade for spouting their "England are oppressing us" drivel.
I have lived in Scotland for coming on 5 years and have always felt a bit like the pantomime villain for being English. Whilst lunatic Wallace impersonators are generally rare, there is an unpleasant habit Scots have of stereotyping English folk as arrogant/Conservative/less socially aware and so on.

Such comments have reared their heads on this thread more than once which is why I can't help but think there is an Anglophobic edge to the Yes campaign. RUK is equated to England, and frequently London, far too often than would be the case otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fair enough. I thought it was a general point (was just checking to make sure) and one that I fully agree with as a staunch Republican.
If the SNP put removal of the monarchy in their white paper I would be very tempted to vote Yes. As it is, they seem to be making promises across the board to garner votes, and it weakens their cause to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have lived in Scotland for coming on 5 years and have always felt a bit like the pantomime villain for being English. Whilst lunatic Wallace impersonators are generally rare, there is an unpleasant habit Scots have of stereotyping English folk as arrogant/Conservative/less socially aware and so on.

Such comments have reared their heads on this thread more than once which is why I can't help but think there is an Anglophobic edge to the Yes campaign. RUK is equated to England, and frequently London, far too often than would be the case otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study in Dundee with a lot of English people on my course and at my uni and the other university in the city and have never seen any of it. A few of them are very good friends of mine and have never said anything to me about it.

I have no doubt there are some Scottish people with unhealthy attitudes about English people but the vast majority of them don't from what I can see,

There is definitely an illiberal and sometimes insulting edge based on negativity for the union rather than being positive for independence being peddled by the SNP which is wrong. That I agree with. The SNP do not represent the views of everyone who supports the Yes campaign.
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the SNP put removal of the monarchy in their white paper I would be very tempted to vote Yes. As it is, they seem to be making promises across the board to garner votes, and it weakens their cause to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, there is an element of that. I think it's that there trying not to rock the boat to much so don't talk about the issue of the monarchy just in case it annoys the supporters of independence who are staunch monarchists. It is a tactical move by them I think which annoys me.
muel1986
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bad for GB's Olympic hopes...
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I study in Dundee with a lot of English people on my course and at my uni and the other university in the city and have never seen any of it. A few of them are very good friends of mine and have never said anything to me about it.

I have no doubt there are some Scottish people with unhealthy attitudes about English people but the vast majority of them don't from what I can see,

There is definitely an illiberal and sometimes insulting edge based on negativity for the union rather than being positive for independence being peddled by the SNP which is wrong. That I agree with. The SNP do not represent the views of everyone who supports the Yes campaign.
I study just across the Tay in St Andrews and have had very different experiences-though Dundee does have a friendly reputation in general and I've never had a bad time there. Fife is a different kettle of fish I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
flugelr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Independent currency would be my first choice

Euro would be my second choice

Keeping the pound is crazy so would be third on that list.
But how are any of those options better than the current situation?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
True,

I think I read a while ago that the Scottish Liberal Democrats are in favor of Federalism but I could be wrong.

It does make me wonder what exactly devo max would be as I interpret it as being something like Scotland being a member of a wider Federal state. So I'm not 100% what the difference between them would be.
Federalism, devo max, regionalism etc meeds buy in from all regions.
FredOrJohn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
...though Dundee does have a friendly reputation
The Children's comic produced there - The Beano - does seem to go in for homophobia (walter the softie is given a very hard time which i think is quite bad for children to read).
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
Depends how you define 'better'.

If it being 'ours' makes an independent currency 'better' then there is your answer :P
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FredOrJohn)
The Children's comic produced there - The Beano - does seem to go in for homophobia (walter the softie is given a very hard time which i think is quite bad for children to read).
I never got that impression from it. I've been making trips to Dundee for years with no trouble-behind Inverness it's one of my favourite places in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FredOrJohn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I never got that impression from it. I've been making trips to Dundee for years with no trouble-behind Inverness it's one of my favourite places in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loads of pictures by Turner done around that area. I think Winston Churchill was the MP for Dundee for a while but he was run out of town by their local press baron
flugelr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Depends how you define 'better'.

If it being 'ours' makes an independent currency 'better' then there is your answer :P
A brand new currency being used by a small country bordering two of the most economically powerful areas in the world - the UK (GBP) and the Eurozone (Euro) - will be independent in name only.
King Kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
Self determination

An economy more evenly spread (throughout Scotland) I hope rather than an economy based on the city of London

I feel being a smaller country would mean less intervention in foreign wars

That's three quick reasons which I think would be an advantage to Scotland
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads