Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Well, it's difficult to tell, really. It looks to the public like we've gone quiet on all fronts, but I would guess that that's just the club tightening up rumour-leaks. Apart from strikers, we've been linked to Fellaini and Capoue, and I'm not sure if anything's changed on that front (some rumours have suggested that Wenger's been put off by Fellaini's price - but that and the failed Bender bid does show that he's thinking about that position). We've also obviously been linked with a new goalkeeper, centreback and attacking midfielder/winger.
    Wouldn't surprised me at all if Arsenal were to sign somebody completely out of the blue without the media catching onto it, the club has always been good at keeper transfers out of the media eye. Obviously it's harder these days with social media and the like, but Monreal for example came from nowhere.

(Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Wouldn't surprised me at all if Arsenal were to sign somebody completely out of the blue without the media catching onto it, the club has always been good at keeper transfers out of the media eye. Obviously it's harder these days with social media and the like, but Monreal for example came from nowhere.
    Agreed. :yep: People talk about ITKs and how they break stories before anyone else, but even then it tends to be just a couple of days before the transfer actually happens (e.g. Cazorla), by which point I would imagine there are only formalities left to complete.

Also, some interesting/nice comments by the managers of Arsenal and Nagoya before the game today:

(Original post by Dragan Stojkovic)
    "We shared a lot of good moments," said Stojkovic. “For me, this was an unforgettable period - 1995 and 1996 as a player I really enjoyed.

"I gave my best, I gave my talent, I helped my team and we had a very good connection, a very good understanding. He [Wenger] was the boss on the bench and I was the boss on the pitch, so it was a good combination.

"Practically every year I went to London to visit and watch Arsenal train. Arsenal is a team that I love a lot. I love how they play, the style and spirit of the team.

"What we've learned from Arsène Wenger here is the team spirit and the family spirit. Don't be surprised to see people working in Nagoya for a long time. We keep that spirit and we keep the family atmosphere [like at Arsenal].

"I'm sure that Monday, July 22 will be a very special day," added Stojkovic. "We are honoured to welcome one of the most prestigious teams in the world, Arsenal.

"The special and very strong link between Nagoya and Arsenal is [down to] the man beside me, Arsène Wenger, who was in charge of Nagoya for almost two years. We have waited for 17 years to see him here again so it's a really special feeling for everyone here."
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...on-with-wenger

(Original post by Arsene Wenger)
    “It's a good feeling [that he has become a manager] - but I preferred the moment when I had him beside me as a player because he was exceptional,” he said.

“I like to think that people I have worked with can become managers. First of all it maybe means that I've given them a little taste to do it and at least I've not disgusted them of doing the job!

“It's always good for me that people who share the ideas of a positive game stay in the game and Piksi is one of them.

“He came to Arsenal many times. We spoke a lot about the game as well and it's very good for me. It's a good experience for me to see that my former players become managers.”

“I'm very happy to play against Nagoya because when I arrived here Piksi was a player and since he has become a manager and has led Nagoya Grampus for six years already,” he said.

“I'm happy to meet all the people I had at Nagoya at the time who worked for the club, because they are still there. That means we have similar points, Arsenal and Nagoya.

“We keep our people for a long time and that is something that is similar on both sides. It makes me very happy to meet all these people who have a great dedication for their club and who have built this club in a very strong and competent way.

“Every time I come back to Japan I discover again what a fascinating and rich culture this country has and I came here to discover that and to manage football. “On both fronts, I was not disappointed. It's a great experience that I'm happy to share with my club, to make them discover what this country is about. I'm sure they will be very happy to do that.”
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...i-is-a-manager

Sounds like Stojkovic already has a deeper connection with Arsenal than I thought! I knew he talked to Wenger regularly, but not that he'd come to watch Arsenal train many times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    We don't necessarily need a cdm but we at least need someone who can be back up to arteta or maybe even take his place. We don't win many of the games we play without arteta so that should show that getting a back up to him is important
    Its slightly controversial but I think Arteta fulfils the CDM position well enough. If you look at teams like Man Utd, they have similar players like Carrick who aren't really physical but still provide those vital passes and defensive stability. I think Ramsey can provide something in that position as well when Arteta is not available. Of course Id love a player like Gundogan but if we are to spend the majority of our budget on one player (which I don't think is a good idea btw) then it should be up front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Its slightly controversial but I think Arteta fulfils the CDM position well enough. If you look at teams like Man Utd, they have similar players like Carrick who aren't really physical but still provide those vital passes and defensive stability. I think Ramsey can provide something in that position as well when Arteta is not available. Of course Id love a player like Gundogan but if we are to spend the majority of our budget on one player (which I don't think is a good idea btw) then it should be up front.
    But don't you think we could do with a Vieira/Gilberto type of player? I don't think Arteta is bad but I think we would be better with a real DM - someone who makes it his mission to win the ball and get the team moving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd argue the opposite. I would say the lack of a domineering CDM is one of the reasons why Uniteds midfield is by far their weakest position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    But don't you think we could do with a Vieira/Gilberto type of player? I don't think Arteta is bad but I think we would be better with a real DM - someone who makes it his mission to win the ball and get the team moving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think there is a need for that kind of player with the game we play now. Certainly a player like Gundogan would be ideal like I said because he provides both the physical presence and is a great passer and thus can provide something offensively too. But if we are talking about priorities then I think a striker should be right up there and then maybe a CB for a back up. We have more often then not failed because every time one of defenders gets injured or is out for some reason, the player who comes in takes at least 3 games to fit in. We need a CB who can fit in whenever needed. A CDM would be the next priority and then after all is done we could get an experienced GK to keep Szczesny on his toes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    I'd argue the opposite. I would say the lack of a domineering CDM is one of the reasons why Uniteds midfield is by far their weakest position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Id agree that United's midfield is its weakest point but I wouldn't say thats necessarily because of a lack of a domineering CDM. The fact that they won the title without one definitely tells you something..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a need for that kind of player with the game we play now. Certainly a player like Gundogan would be ideal like I said because he provides both the physical presence and is a great passer and thus can provide something offensively too. But if we are talking about priorities then I think a striker should be right up there and then maybe a CB for a back up. We have more often then not failed because every time one of defenders gets injured or is out for some reason, the player who comes in takes at least 3 games to fit in. We need a CB who can fit in whenever needed. A CDM would be the next priority and then after all is done we could get an experienced GK to keep Szczesny on his toes.
    I understand what you're saying but haven't we always been playing the way we are now even in the days when we had Vieira and Gilberto in the same team? As good as Arteta is and despite all the statistics about him being in the team and us not losing, I think a domineering DM would take us one step up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I understand what you're saying but haven't we always been playing the way we are now even in the days when we had Vieira and Gilberto in the same team? As good as Arteta is and despite all the statistics about him being in the team and us not losing, I think a domineering DM would take us one step up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take your point and I did say that we do need a CDM but it shouldn't be our priority. It was serious nervous times the last 3 games of last season when Giroud was suspended and we had to rely on Podolski playing up front. We can't afford to be put in that position again so think I think we need at least a striker this transfer window. Its the same with the CB position. The CDM and GK position need strengthening but its not whats going to cost us games.

ReputationRep:
    I take your point and I did say that we do need a CDM but it shouldn't be our priority. It was serious nervous times the last 3 games of last season when Giroud was suspended and we had to rely on Podolski playing up front. We can't afford to be put in that position again so think I think we need at least a striker this transfer window. Its the same with the CB position. The CDM and GK position need strengthening but its not whats going to cost us games.
    When arteta is injured we tend to lose. Striker and an arteta back up should both be priorities.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you guys have heard but United have increased their bid for Fabregas to £30 million plus add ons. I don't quite understand whats happening with this cause if Barca wanted to sell/Fabregas wanted to leave then Arsenal have first choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a backwards and outdated footballing view. There is a reason why Barca, United, Madrid, etc etc do not play with a 'domineering CDM'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row Z)
    This is a backwards and outdated footballing view. There is a reason why Barca, United, Madrid, etc etc do not play with a 'domineering CDM'.
    They have someone strong and physical
    Bayern -Martinez
    Barca- busquets
    R Madrid -khedira

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    I don't know if you guys have heard but United have increased their bid for Fabregas to £30 million plus add ons. I don't quite understand whats happening with this cause if Barca wanted to sell/Fabregas wanted to leave then Arsenal have first choice.
    Don't worry mate he's too expensive for Arsenal, besides we've got Diaby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row Z)
    Munich/BVB have shown that the most effective system is a traditional DM beside a ball playing box to box player, in Martinez/Schweini and Bender/Gundogan. Real/Juve employ a similar system with Khedira/Alonso and Vida/Pirlo and we had a very good combo of Song/Wilshere back in 2010/11,

I reckon Arteta beside a traditional sitting DM dominate tbh and given that weve already bid 19m for Lars Bender, I'd be surprised if we didnt end up with a DM coming in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    Don't worry mate he's too expensive for Arsenal, besides we've got Diaby.
    I'm not too bothered about it to be honest. I know its not going to happen cause theres to many complication involved.

And you really think Arsenal would decline to pay the reported £25 million to buy him back? I don't think so, like Wenger said a week or so ago that if he became available he'll look to activate the buy out clause. And since they've been making bids of over £20 million this this transfer window for various players you'll have no problem in buying him back. Diaby is no where near Fabregas quality.

ReputationRep:
    Just been thinking about the ST situation, that if we dont get Suarez/Higuain then there are no obvious top strikers left on the market. Falcao/Cavani/Benteke/Gomez/Villa/Jovetic/Negrano/Aubameyang are tied up and we can forget about Rooney.

There are no obvious targets in the EPL other than Suarez left and looking round Europe I can only think of Lewandowski as someone who we might have a shot at getting. Mayve Ibra as well if he's pissed off with the Cavani signing.

I get the impression that Wenger has basically waited for PSG/City/Monaco/Barca to splash the millions they were always going to spend and is now hoping to pick up the best of the rest with limited competition. At this stage I'd be delighted with either Saurez for 40m but LFC are asking for 50m now. I think without the baggage he's worth every penny of that, but with his record there needs to be a discount to make it worthwhile. Hopefully he goes on striker or something to force a move. He's bannedf or 6 games anyway so Wenger is probably happy to take it all the way to the last hours of the window...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Just been thinking about the ST situation, that if we dont get Suarez/Higuain then there are no obvious top strikers left on the market. Falcao/Cavani/Benteke/Gomez/Villa/Jovetic/Negrano/Aubameyang are tied up and we can forget about Rooney.

There are no obvious targets in the EPL other than Suarez left and looking round Europe I can only think of Lewandowski as someone who we might have a shot at getting. Mayve Ibra as well if he's pissed off with the Cavani signing.

I get the impression that Wenger has basically waited for PSG/City/Monaco/Barca to splash the millions they were always going to spend and is now hoping to pick up the best of the rest with limited competition. At this stage I'd be delighted with either Saurez for 40m but LFC are asking for 50m now. I think without the baggage he's worth every penny of that, but with his record there needs to be a discount to make it worthwhile. Hopefully he goes on striker or something to force a move. He's bannedf or 6 games anyway so Wenger is probably happy to take it all the way to the last hours of the window...
    Dzeko? Whatever we think of him, I think Wenger rates him quite highly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Yeah exactly, and so then Suarez goes to Madrid (which he'd obviously prefer) and that frees up Higuain, who goes to Napoli. And that leaves us with...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.