Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsekid)
    I'm afraid so though haven't asked W&C. Tried to book the evening sessions but as I only found out yesterday they'd been booked. Are you doing both the CC Assessment Day and W&C vac scheme?
    i'm doing the CC AD and a different vac scheme - trying to figure out how to approach my vac scheme place.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawStudentLLM)
    i'm doing the CC AD and a different vac scheme - trying to figure out how to approach my vac scheme place.
    Tell them ASAP. They will respect it more the more notice you can give them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Starting vac scheme at Ropes & Gray tomorrow morning - anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I'm putting a thanks in this thread also for the advice and knowledge everyone has provided. I had a couple of VS this year but it was an AC that enabled me to gain a TC with TLT. Thank you again and good luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legal_nyx)
    I'm putting a thanks in this thread also for the advice and knowledge everyone has provided. I had a couple of VS this year but it was an AC that enabled me to gain a TC with TLT. Thank you again and good luck to you all!
    Congratulations- that's great news!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I just got my first year results

tort law -70%
    public law -68%
    contract - 57%

averaged 65 -2:1 but my alevel grades are ABC?
    (I was 5 marks off a an A for the B grade)

no chance for a VS right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Hi guys,

tort law -70%
    public law -68%
    contract - 57%

Any advice please thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Any advice please thanks in advance
    Strange you have only done 3 modules. Usually there is at least 4.

The combination of your a-levels and contract grade will put off the more "academic" firms. But really depends on the rest of your form. If it is strong elsewhere, you obviously have a chance and probably a reasonable one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Strange you have only done 3 modules. Usually there is at least 4.

The combination of your a-levels and contract grade will put off the more "academic" firms. But really depends on the rest of your form. If it is strong elsewhere, you obviously have a chance and probably a reasonable one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    our fourth module was legal methods and skills and we did not get graded just pass or fail.

I was thinking of retaking one of my alevel exams so (hopefully) my grades can go up tooo AAC and I would like to gain work experience aswell (currently I dont have any) for second year and then apply for vacation schemes for my last year?

Do you think thats okay? if not, advice?
    Also what type of law firms do you think I should be looking for in terms of my current situation with grades etc.

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    our fourth module was legal methods and skills and we did not get graded just pass or fail.

I was thinking of retaking one of my alevel exams so (hopefully) my grades can go up tooo AAC and I would like to gain work experience aswell (currently I dont have any) for second year and then apply for vacation schemes for my last year?

Also what type of law firms do you think I should be looking for in terms of my current situation with grades etc.

thanks in advance
    Places like Slaughter & May and HSF are very picky about academics as they ask for a 2:1 in all modules. Macfarlanes don't have an A-level requirement so and barring contract your grades are good.

Personally, I would forget about retaking A-Levels as it will show that you have resat and instead focus on making your second year grades as good as they can possibly be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pp93)
    Places like Slaughter & May and HSF are very picky about academics as they ask for a 2:1 in all modules. Macfarlanes don't have an A-level requirement so and barring contract your grades are good.

Personally, I would forget about retaking A-Levels as it will show that you have resat and instead focus on making your second year grades as good as they can possibly be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not going to apply to law firms like that ( slaughter &May, allen& overy etc) because I have to be realistic lol I was looking at firms like bird&bird, clyde&co, taylor wessing, eversheds etc.. Any others please advise me?

Yes, I would like to hopefully maintain a 2:1.

Do you think I should still apply for a vs?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

thanks in advance
    No point really retaking your a-level. Most firms will want to see them on the first sitting and across 3 in the same year. Although re-sitting might be seen as a good level of commitment to improve, it doesn't really help in terms of the employer looking past your original grade.

Look at firms who are more open minded on the UCAS points "filter" - there are enough out there. "We usually look for" is different to "you must have achieved".

I wouldn't necessarily be put off applying this year - you just need to engage with the firms that interest you and get their thoughts on your application.

If you have no work experience (at all) then that's going to be a bigger issue is than your grades. Build up your CV with open days/workshops/events etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

tort law -70%
    public law -68%
    contract - 57%

What university are you at? Your grades are definitely good enough to mount a decent application.

Law firms are widening their recruitment pool, but from my experiences on vac schemes at the very top firms, even places like Warwick/Nottingham/Bristol only seem to get 1/2 people per scheme at best.

(Original post by pp93)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think that's true for HSF. Even places who state that you need 'a consistently strong 2.1' will waive this, if you're able to make up for that flaw in other areas of your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    What university are you at? Your grades are definitely good enough to mount a decent application.

Law firms are widening their recruitment pool, but from my experiences on vac schemes at the very top firms, even places like Warwick/Nottingham/Bristol only seem to get 1/2 people per scheme at best.

I don't think that's true for HSF. Even places who state that you need 'a consistently strong 2.1' will waive this, if you're able to make up for that flaw in other areas of your application.
    Their grad rec said at a law fair to me that they look for 60+ 'even in your first year' unless there are mitigating circumstances. Whether they have a policy of overlooking grades if the rest of the app is good I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)

I go to SOAS, UOL. Thank you, do you personally think I should even bother applying to VS. I really do think that my alevel grades will let me down, advice?

ReputationRep:
    I go to SOAS, UOL. Thank you, do you personally think I should even bother applying to VS. I really do think that my alevel grades will let me down, advice?
    I averaged a low 2:1 in my first year, with 58% in contract. I still got a couple of vac scheme offers this year, as well as interviews at others - all top City firms. So based on your first year grades alone, it's not impossible. Your A-Levels will be more difficult because the vast majority of London firms require AAB minimum; without them it is likely your application won't even be read. Take some time to research those who don't specify such a requirement, or speak to representatives personally at open days and law fairs to ask if they would we willing to consider an applicant with lower grades than the required.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pasdesdeux)
    without them it is likely your application won't even be read.
    They will be read - don't worry about them not being so.

Very few firms completely filter out by UCAS points, mainly because systems are not sophisticated enough to pick them up due to alternative grading systems (international grades/Scottish highers etc). How far they are read is a different thing though, but the same could be said for the person whose application has spelling mistakes in the first sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I averaged a low 2:1 in my first year, with 58% in contract. I still got a couple of vac scheme offers this year, as well as interviews at others - all top City firms. So based on your first year grades alone, it's not impossible. Your A-Levels will be more difficult because the vast majority of London firms require AAB minimum; without them it is likely your application won't even be read. Take some time to research those who don't specify such a requirement, or speak to representatives personally at open days and law fairs to ask if they would we willing to consider an applicant with lower grades than the required.
    I will do, thank you for you advice )

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any law firms who do not have these type of alevel constraints?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any law firms who do not have these type of alevel constraints?
    Macfarlanes don't have a particular a level constraint as such.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.