The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
A gilet is an item of clothing worn when your arms and legs are warm but your upper torso is cold.

This condition doesn't occur often in humans. But when it does, the human is often in an upmarket part of town ordering a complicated type of coffee.
PRSOM
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Not even Armani? The ones whose adverts make up half of evening programming? Cripes man, how can you have completely missed them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Giorgio Armani? The one who was on the news for one of them being homophobic?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Our state opening can't come soon enough:sigh:
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anybody have the general election results by region? I'm looking for English region seat numbers and share of the vote.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Giorgio Armani? The one who was on the news for one of them being homophobic?
So he's an old man... He grew up in different time.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Does anybody have the general election results by region? I'm looking for English region seat numbers and share of the vote.
No one has compiled them yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
No one has compiled them yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been almost a week now, what is their excuse?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having had a look at the Welsh results it's interesting that despite 27% of the vote (i consider less than 30% poor), we still have the most seats since 83. Having had a look at the Labour seats it interestingly looks like all the north eastern seats are winnable for the Tories if they could even get a 5% swing in Wales (the cluster of about 5 near Wrexham) however it's also interesting to see just how much the valleys hate us, i make only 2 winnable seats (Bridgend and one of the Newport seats) and in many we are not even second be it to Ukip or Plaid or the Lib Dems.

I'd be interested to know why despite being equally poor, the north eastern area is much more winnable unless things have improved there.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having had a look at the Welsh results it's interesting that despite 27% of the vote (i consider less than 30% poor), we still have the most seats since 83. Having had a look at the Labour seats it interestingly looks like all the north eastern seats are winnable for the Tories if they could even get a 5% swing in Wales (the cluster of about 5 near Wrexham) however it's also interesting to see just how much the valleys hate us, i make only 2 winnable seats (Bridgend and one of the Newport seats) and in many we are not even second be it to Ukip or Plaid or the Lib Dems.

I'd be interested to know why despite being equally poor, the north eastern area is much more winnable unless things have improved there.
I think it comes down to Thatcher and the poor economic situation they find themselves in. Wales relied heavily on mining and industry which was closed down in the 70's and 80's leaving the people in the areas to hate the Conservatives. Secondly, the two poorest areas of the UK according to recent surveys are in Wales and if the list was expanded to the top 25 poorest areas Wales would be disproportionately represented. It is an irrational block they have against the Conservatives as the Welsh government has always been Labour but their towns still feature at the top of the poverty list even after 13 years of Labour control at Westminster.

We are lucky we do not live under the failing Labour government who would rather waste money on buying an airport, which is still not in the same league as Bristol Airport, instead of investing in the NHS.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I think it comes down to Thatcher and the poor economic situation they find themselves in. Wales relied heavily on mining and industry which was closed down in the 70's and 80's leaving the people in the areas to hate the Conservatives. Secondly, the two poorest areas of the UK according to recent surveys are in Wales and if the list was expanded to the top 25 poorest areas Wales would be disproportionately represented.
As well as Wales, isn't Cornwall the only county in England to get EU funding yet that went blue, blue I tells ya! BLUE!!!

I reckon Wales is winnable for the Tories based off that.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
As well as Wales, isn't Cornwall the only county in England to get EU funding yet that went blue, blue I tells ya! BLUE!!!

I reckon Wales is winnable for the Tories based off that.
There is more chance of Aph becoming a die hard capitalist, marketeer than there is Wales turning blue.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Piece on Conservative Home discussing why the cities are still red. Now, it actually talks about the former coalfields, since there was that map showing the correlation between coal and labour, although it also links to newsnight and all the other correlations such as crime and light, and a tweet on the same page that rather patronising saying "well done, you know GCSE geography, cities springing up near the pits" but in essence says that the government needs to try to promote growth of new sectors in these places.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thet...source=twitter
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is more chance of Aph becoming a die hard capitalist, marketeer than there is Wales turning blue.
The Tories can never get a majority of the seats but if the seven i highlight are vulnerable then we can make Wales hung (would result in 18-18). The seats in the west seem safe for the parties that hold them so i'd not imagine much change there.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Breaking news on bbc just said that kent police are investigating potential electoral fraud in Thanet South

Now that is goinf to be intetesting.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Piece on Conservative Home discussing why the cities are still red. Now, it actually talks about the former coalfields, since there was that map showing the correlation between coal and labour, although it also links to newsnight and all the other correlations such as crime and light, and a tweet on the same page that rather patronising saying "well done, you know GCSE geography, cities springing up near the pits" but in essence says that the government needs to try to promote growth of new sectors in these places.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thet...source=twitter
I think the old state industries explain why the smaller towns vote Labour (Rotherham ect..) but i do think we missed a trick with Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham which have all seen success during the last business cycle. In these places i think Osbourne is onto the right approach with the northern powerhouse and we have made some progress (Rothwell, Pudsey and Morley are now all blue in Leeds) but more can be made.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Breaking news on bbc just said that kent police are investigating potential electoral fraud in Thanet South

Now that is goinf to be intetesting.
I expect it's upset kippers and they'll find nothing. I don't really think people would have committed electoral fraud to keep Farage out.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
That's true, Aph, fancy turning to Capitalism!

Also Wow, France :france:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the old state industries explain why the smaller towns vote Labour (Rotherham ect..) but i do think we missed a trick with Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham which have all seen success during the last business cycle. In these places i think Osbourne is onto the right approach with the northern powerhouse and we have made some progress (Rothwell, Pudsey and Morley are now all blue in Leeds) but more can be made.
I'm not quite sure that's why Morley&Outwood turned blue, I think that's more down to Balls being unpopular and complacent.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Allegations of electoral fraud in Thanet South.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I'm not quite sure that's why Morley&Outwood turned blue, I think that's more down to Balls being unpopular and complacent.
Well Morley and Outwood themselves are upper working class/lower middle class (Morley being the richer of the two) areas which you'd expect to be fairly marginal (though West Yorkshire and especially Wakefield has historically voted Labour) so i think it's not all down to Balls (healthy anti-immigrant sentiment too being near Bradford and Dewsbury - UKIP on 7000 votes) albeit it will be a tough hold if we don't gain vote share in 2020.

At any rate, being a relatively nice area in a city doing well it's the type of seat we should be aiming for.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (59)
67.05%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.36%

Watched Threads