Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Yeh, they're changing their course structure so the BSc will be less of a standalone year and more integrated into the rest of the course.
    Thanks! That's a bit of a shame, but oh well
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Ew embryology not a bad choice though as it may tie in pretty well with the repro scenarios.

Bit anxious, gonna be a very different year! Looking forward to it though, have been since I started. Intro week starts on Monday so summer bliss over very soon!
    Fingers crossed Ah yes I can imagine- good luck though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Enjoy your last weekend of freedom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Hopefully this will aid with our trolling.

In case any of you were wondering: no. I do not currently have a girlfriend or any important hobbies.
    :rofl: !! Excellent. Personally I love the Bath thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    :rofl: !! Excellent. Personally I love the Bath thing.
    What's not to love? The next stage is to hack into the wiki to make a page for it.

ReputationRep:
    What's not to love? The next stage is to hack into the wiki to make a page for it.
    I can just imagine the joke escalating to the point you guys rent an empty building in Bath and run an open day for prospective medical students.

..."This is yet another empty room. As with all the others, only those of you with higher levels of intellect and imagination are able to conceive what we use it for, anyone who does not know may as well leave now."
    *embarassed students looking at eachother reluctant to leave*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I like the fact you have to answer 6 questions when there's 5 :teehee:

I am now back at uni, ready to start on Monday :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this will aid with our trolling.

In case any of you were wondering: no. I do not currently have a girlfriend or any important hobbies.
    Awesome. I didn't really know much about the Bath thing before now, but it's pretty funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Let's be honest, the union is a ****hole, it is barely ever open and only a solid clique of around 70 people I would say go to it on a reg basis. It was hardly open last year. Tbh, I am surprised QM were even bankrolling its renovation! Hats off to them.
    Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. In all honesty, I felt really let down by the social aspect of BL this year. I was told it would be an awesome, close knit community. What I found was a clique of ~50 people, rubbish events and a lackluster opening schedule.

I had way more fun at Essex university when I went down there. Sigh, I hate talking about stuff like this though, just stirs up thoughts that I should have gone to Leicester over and over again despite it being asinine and irrelevent as they've already told me outright they don't accept transfer or applications from students currently studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. In all honesty, I felt really let down by the social aspect of BL this year. I was told it would be an awesome, close knit community. What I found was a clique of ~50 people, rubbish events and a lackluster opening schedule.

I had way more fun at Essex university when I went down there. Sigh, I hate talking about stuff like this though, just stirs up thoughts that I should have gone to Leicester over and over again despite it being asinine and irrelevent as they've already told me outright they don't accept transfer or applications from students currently studying.
    50 people :wtf:
    Well I supposed that is an awesome close knit community if you are part of it. Tbh I don't have time for my union most of the time. They ***** about not everyone turning up to their events and somehow have realised a lot of the med school don't drink but have failed to grasp that solution isn't exactly the same thing without alcohol...

If you want more people to go make it more interesting than getting wasted.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    See all the essays and stuff is kind of what puts me off doing an intercalated degree. I think I'd be awful at any normal degree :rolleyes:
    I don't miss writing essays in exams!

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    Oh, and apparently the incoming freshers here at Barts consists of 87% grads on the standard 5 year course! :eek3: Apparently that's because the grads wanted to miss the increased fees from 2012 entry. Now, that's not a turn in the right direction IMO. I would not like to be a school leaver with that many grads in my year. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the grads on our course and tbh, most of my friends here are grads, but it's also nice to start your degree with a vast majority of people who this is also new to, not people who've done it all before. And i thought 60% grads on the 5 year course in the year below me was tough on school leavers! Hmmm. We have like 40% in our year iirc. Soon, the 5 year course will eventually become a prolonged Grad Entry Programme...
    We're taking over! :giggle: No, because the fees are going up to 9k a year which grads have to find up front. Who do you know that can afford £36k like that? It's a temporary blip, because I suspect grad numbers in normal courses will go into freefall and competition for the 4 year is just going to get horribly worse.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to get undrunk quickly??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Does anyone know how to get undrunk quickly??
    Time machine :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Time machine :yep:
    Awesome do they sell them at asda?

hey i didnt want to smile there go away smiley.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome do they sell them at asda?

hey i didnt want to smile there go away smiley.
    Sadly no. Maybe in 50 years time

We had a lecture on how to cure hangovers. The conclusion is there is nothing in the literature that works effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Sadly no. Maybe in 50 years time

We had a lecture on how to cure hangovers. The conclusion is there is nothing in the literature that works effectively.
    Im not hungover im drunk i think im still finding running round funny and im very hyperactive and i just walked into a door and im talking rubbish. The best!!

ReputationRep:
    Im not hungover im drunk i think im still finding running round funny and im very hyperactive and i just walked into a door and im talking rubbish. The best!!
    Wake up drunk. That is fun!

ReputationRep:
    Top night last night as the designated driver in a provincial ****hole. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)

People have **** experiences at Leicester too though. My sister didn't study medicine but she dropped out of Leicester pretty soon into the term last year because she was just hating the social side of things. There have been threads on here from people not enjoying Leicester. I think it's normal to have the "I wonder what would have happened if I had chosen X instead" but I think there will always be aspects of your University you don't like & who knows, you might have not enjoyed Leicester more. Certainly around January/February I really wasn't enjoying being here and looked into transferring (no) but I doubt I'd have been able to go through with it & now I'm loving life here.

I find Glasgow med society to be very cliquey and quite rah and a lot of the things they do they just have absolutely no understanding of how much money most med students have. But then this doesn't really impact on my social life at all because all my medic friends have parties & invite the whole year and I have a social life outside of medicine (none of my flatmates are medics - makes for a great break!). So the whole med society to not really be a problem. Except when they organise balls and **** that there is no way I can afford to go to and everyone is. Grrrr.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. the grass is always greener, and you don't need a good medical society to have a good social experience.

ReputationRep:
    Top night last night as the designated driver in a provincial ****hole. :rolleyes:
    Why I live in walking distance of EVERYTHING.

You really did miss out when you were too drunk to get into the Hive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    People have **** experiences at Leicester too though. My sister didn't study medicine but she dropped out of Leicester pretty soon into the term last year because she was just hating the social side of things. There have been threads on here from people not enjoying Leicester. I think it's normal to have the "I wonder what would have happened if I had chosen X instead" but I think there will always be aspects of your University you don't like & who knows, you might have not enjoyed Leicester more. Certainly around January/February I really wasn't enjoying being here and looked into transferring (no) but I doubt I'd have been able to go through with it & now I'm loving life here.

I find Glasgow med society to be very cliquey and quite rah and a lot of the things they do they just have absolutely no understanding of how much money most med students have. But then this doesn't really impact on my social life at all because all my medic friends have parties & invite the whole year and I have a social life outside of medicine (none of my flatmates are medics - makes for a great break!). So the whole med society to not really be a problem. Except when they organise balls and **** that there is no way I can afford to go to and everyone is. Grrrr.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. the grass is always greener, and you don't need a good medical society to have a good social experience.
    The problem with BL though is it's basically a medical school and that's it. We're still very seperated from QM, so when our med society sucks, it's essentially the entire social side. There were a few good events.

I mean, they organised the dental beer race (which is supposidly the biggest and best event of the year, everyone I spoke to said it was the highlight of their freshers) the weekend AFTER everyone had to be out of halls. I mean, seriously? They essentially excluded every freshers from the biggest night of the year because none of us are going to travel back to london and find accomodation for one event.

It should get better this year though, from what I've gathered we had the WORST student president of BLSA in a long time. She was SO useless it was incredible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.