Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that the project fear label is the most ridiculous there is, day in day out YesScotland's twitter pours out perceived threats if Scotland votes no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mechie)
    I don't think you have to be stupid to vote no, no. I just think a lot of people voting no have been taken in by project fear.
    project fear is a creation of the YES campaign to discredit the No campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacDaddi)
    First festival?
    Haha no! 4th

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The no campaign was too negative until a few months ago but I think they've sold the union better recently.

It's not because she's voting no, it's her reasons why. When someone asks questions like "what will happen to the Barnett formula with independence?" amongst other equally stupid questions, and thinking they actually have better arguments than you, it's hard not to think of them as a moron.

I don't think you have to be stupid to vote no, no. I just think a lot of people voting no have been taken in by project fear.
    How is that a stupid question? Hell, I didn't even know what it was until then. And again, thinking they have better arguments is entirely your opinion

And why are you so dismissive about fear? Are people not justified in fearing the biggest constitutional change in not only a lifetime, but the history of a nation? Your dismissal is naive
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The no campaign was too negative until a few months ago but I think they've sold the union better recently.
    the trouble is that when the Better together says rightly that jobs will be moved if scotland goes independent, such as the MOD manufacturing, the SNP plays the threat card, saying that they are threatening you to vote no, when they are telling the people what will happen as they asked for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just sick of the no campaign's multiple naff slogans. Every no person I follow on twitter endlessly repeats things like "Say #NoThanks to separation, we're #BetterTogether, #AskSalmond about #PlanB..." Same problem I have with Labour harping on endlessly about the cost of living crisis - a decent message, but someone needs to buy the campaigning team a thesaurus!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    I'm just sick of the no campaign's multiple naff slogans. Every no person I follow on twitter endlessly repeats things like "Say #NoThanks to separation, we're #BetterTogether, #AskSalmond about #PlanB..." Same problem I have with Labour harping on endlessly about the cost of living crisis - a decent message, but someone needs to buy the campaigning team a thesaurus!
    So you can instead see #GreaterInUnison #QuerySalmond about #AlternativeOptions" ?

(Original post by Cryptographic)
    Catherine wheel is probably the cheapest, ask for the rooms at the back because the front ones are very noisy, Phyllis Court/Hôtel du Vin are very nice, but more on the pricy side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That the wetherspoons hotel? Seems ok, but at the same time wetherspoons can be a particularly dodgy joint - they're the only place I've seen someone steal a sink from.

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    To be honest I find all slogans a bit cringey. Nothing from either side really inspires me

ReputationRep:
    ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408573669.078724.jpg

Over at UKIP we have just finished writing our manifesto

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wee.Guy)
    the trouble is that when the Better together says rightly that jobs will be moved if scotland goes independent, such as the MOD manufacturing, the SNP plays the threat card, saying that they are threatening you to vote no, when they are telling the people what will happen as they asked for.
    I suspect the SNP have failed anyway if turnout is the expected 80%. Their main strategy for independence seems to have been based around converting the left. While the right may never win an election in Scotland its a reasonable assumption that at least 30% of the electorate will lean that way and have no doubt been turned off by a very left centered campaign. This in combination with the Labour unionist vote will ensure victory I believe.

ICM has been in the 34-39% excluding DK (who are less likely to vote) so I'm expecting 42-44% for Yes on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love it! I said we were moving forward to become the ebullient bellwethers. We have a manifesto :rofl:

Before you start calling us racists, bear in mind we are poking fun of ourselves and in no way condone the labels.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

If it weren't so accurate...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

That is bloody hilarious XD

Labour will have its work cut out writing a better manifesto lol
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Is it me or does that UKIP pic shoe England as being a lot bigger (geographically) than it actually is...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Is it me or does that UKIP pic shoe England as being a lot bigger (geographically) than it actually is...
    :yep:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by O133)
    :yep:
    I'm surprised there was nothing special for N.Korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I suspect the SNP have failed anyway if turnout is the expected 80%. Their main strategy for independence seems to have been based around converting the left. While the right may never win an election in Scotland its a reasonable assumption that at least 30% of the electorate will lean that way and have no doubt been turned off by a very left centered campaign. This in combination with the Labour unionist vote will ensure victory I believe.

ICM has been in the 34-39% excluding DK (who are less likely to vote) so I'm expecting 42-44% for Yes on the day.
    I think your prediction may be about right. The no vote being a combination of the never be independent, the not now, and the not if Alex Salmond would be running the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wee.Guy)
    project fear is a creation of the YES campaign to discredit the No campaign.
    It's not exactly a surprise that the Yes campaign calls the no campaign project fear. It's not like they're going to call themselves that, is it?

(Original post by MacDaddi)
    How is that a stupid question? Hell, I didn't even know what it was until then. And again, thinking they have better arguments is entirely your opinion

And why are you so dismissive about fear? Are people not justified in fearing the biggest constitutional change in not only a lifetime, but the history of a nation? Your dismissal is naive
    It's a horrendously stupid question. My mum is well aware of what the Barnett formula is, in that it's the money that Westminster allocates to the Scottish parliament. Obviously Barnett won't exist if we're independent, and thinking that is discrediting the independence campaign is about the most stupid thing I've ever seen. You have not heard my mother's arguments. You would probably agree that they are the most stupid arguments anyone could come out with. Heck, I'm sure the staunchest no voter would agree with that assessment too.

It's not being dismissive of fear. It's being dismissive of the unnecessary fear that the no campaign spreads to get people to vote no.

It's a horrendously stupid question. My mum is well aware of what the Barnett formula is, in that it's the money that Westminster allocates to the Scottish parliament. Obviously Barnett won't exist if we're independent, and thinking that is discrediting the independence campaign is about the most stupid thing I've ever seen. You have not heard my mother's arguments. You would probably agree that they are the most stupid arguments anyone could come out with. Heck, I'm sure the staunchest no voter would agree with that assessment too.

It's not being dismissive of fear. It's being dismissive of the unnecessary fear that the no campaign spreads to get people to vote no.
    Ahaha, mothers eh

Which fear is unnecessary? At what point do fears become irrational and unnecessary? When they threaten the Yes campaign?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.