Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone from Weightmans vac scheme heard about beng successful in securing a place on the assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a silly question:
    Has competition for training contracts generally been improving recently (I.e the last couple of years or so). By improving I mean getting less competitive of course! How do you see it looking in around five years (better/worse situation?)
    Also, Ive asked this before and got given great answers but might as well ask again:
    Would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put them off wanting to be a solicitor, even if they go to an RG uni?
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Any advice please thanks in advance
    My A levels were the same as yours but I averaged a 68 in first year and got a VS, despite getting a low 2.1 in 2nd year. I now have a TC. If you build up your CV and focus on your studies you'll be fine. I think a strong overall application will help shift the focus from what you may feel aren't the grades you may have wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Bit of a silly question:
    Has competition for training contracts generally been improving recently (I.e the last couple of years or so). By improving I mean getting less competitive of course! How do you see it looking in around five years (better/worse situation?)
    Also, Ive asked this before and got given great answers but might as well ask again:
    Would you say the competivness of getting a training contract is enough to put them off wanting to be a solicitor, even if they go to an RG uni?
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What stage are you at? Competition is getting even more fierce with each passing year: there are candidates who might not get it one year who would apply the next in addition to the newly eligible candidates. I don't think competition in itself is a good reason not to try however, everything worth having is going to be contested.

If the competition is enough to put a prospective candidate off, perhaps it was never the right choice for them...nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narusku)
    What stage are you at? Competition is getting even more fierce with each passing year: there are candidates who might not get it one year who would apply the next in addition to the newly eligible candidates. I don't think competition in itself is a good reason not to try however, everything worth having is going to be contested.

If the competition is enough to put a prospective candidate off, perhaps it was never the right choice for them...nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That isn't quite true. Application numbers have dropped and the talent pool in many ways has become smaller.

People like to assume law is uber competitive, but it actually has one of the lowest applications per place ratio (on average) than many other sectors. However what that doesn't take into the account is the quality of those applications, but even so it isn't this crazy competitive entry point that every one like to make out it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My A levels were the same as yours but I averaged a 68 in first year and got a VS with Macs, despite getting a low 2.1 in 2nd year. I now have a TC. If you build up your CV and focus on your studies you'll be fine. I think a strong overall application will help shift the focus from what you may feel aren't the grades you may have wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This gives me hope, thank you soo much. Macs as in macfarlanes? So do you think my primary focus now should be building up my experience and making sure I am averaging a good 2:1 each year or? Did you get your tc with the same law firm you completed your vs with? Welll done and good luck for the future

ReputationRep:
    My A levels were the same as yours but I averaged a 68 in first year and got a VS with Macs, despite getting a low 2.1 in 2nd year. I now have a TC. If you build up your CV and focus on your studies you'll be fine. I think a strong overall application will help shift the focus from what you may feel aren't the grades you may have wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really want to get a vs with addleshaw and goddard, Have you done a vs with them before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    That isn't quite true. Application numbers have dropped and the talent pool in many ways has become smaller.

People like to assume law is uber competitive, but it actually has one of the lowest applications per place ratio (on average) than many other sectors. However what that doesn't take into the account is the quality of those applications, but even so it isn't this crazy competitive entry point that every one like to make out it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Numbers have dropped? I'm sorry but I just cannot believe that to be the truth.

These application figures which you use to make your claim, do they reflect those who apply year-on-year before settling on another role? Those who actually have to stop because they have tried for a number of rounds but to no avail?

From the sound of it, you're pushing that if someone wants a TC then there'll always be a TC to be got.

The talent pool has become smaller? In what ways?

Even if one were to accept that applications per place were lower than some other sectors - does that mean that the profession is not competitive?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Numbers have dropped? I'm sorry but I just cannot believe that to be the truth.

These application figures which you use to make your claim, do they reflect those who apply year-on-year before settling on another role? Those who actually have to stop because they have tried for a number of rounds but to no avail?

From the sound of it, you're pushing that if someone wants a TC then there'll always be a TC to be got.

The talent pool has become smaller? In what ways?

Even if one were to accept that applications per place were lower than some other sectors - does that mean that the profession is not competitive?
    It depends where you want to compare to, but it is not as competitive as it has been within the last 8 years at least.

There are several reasons for this but some include:

- UG law degree places have dropped (although this is likely to rise again now the cap has been lifted)

- The abolishment of the post-study visa

- Fewer people taking up the GDL and LPC

Stats from the AGR state that law firms receive 59.6 applications per place. The average across all sectors is 74.5. FMCG, Finance. IB, Energy, IT, Retail and Consulting all have higher application numbers per place than law.

The same AGR report states that firms had seen a 10% drop in applications this year.

With one large international firm I worked for, the applications per place were less than 25 for vac schemes and less than 20 for training contracts. One regional firm I know got less than 10 applications per place for this year's vac scheme.

Also nearly 7% of TCs remained un-filled in 2013-14, mainly because people were turning down jobs for other offers! If it was that competitive, this wouldn't be happening.

But I never said it still wasn't competitive - it clearly still is. But to put it on a pedestal and make it seem uber competitive process is a load of rubbish. If people want to state it is, I'd really like to see the evidence to back it up and compare it to other opportunities out there.

However, the expectations of those applications is unlike many other sectors. Therefore the quality to be successful is astronomically high. From my understanding, I'd say only IB and Strategy Consulting have similar or higher expectations. That's where the "competitiveness" comes in, not the application/recruitment process itself, but actually gathering the evidence to support it - grades/positions of responsibility/leadership roles/prizes & awards/work experience placements.

But as someone who has been reviewing TC applications over the last week, a lot of that "quality" isn't there. In fact, a lot of the applications I have been reviewing have been awful. I'd say at least 1 in 3 were so bad (spelling, grammar, wrong firm's name, some LOL worthy typos) the applicant wasted their time applying.

One of the things that is awful about this process is that people hype it up too much. There are too many myths out there that reinforce this idea that it's a near impossible career to get into. Unfortunately that puts too many people off that could actually be good applicants. All I am trying to do by presenting this idea that it isn't uber competitive is dispel those myths, as I think they do more harm than good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all of those waiting on hearing from the GLD!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just a few questions.

Firstly let me introduce myself. I finished my first year at Exeter studying law achieving 66%. I know loads of websites (allaboutlaw, legal cheek, lex100 etc) have tips for applying for VS's, but a question to any of you guys who got a VS is what would you recommend doing when applying? I really want to aim for magic circle, with A&O and Freshfields being my top choices, is there anything outside the box you would recommend?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an AC with Burges Salmon on Monday. Is there anyone who has already done this who is able to give any hints on what to expect? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of anyone who has applied direct to pinsent masons (no vs) and got an ac? Regions specifically... I think the ac's are this week - ish...

ReputationRep:
    When writing applications and talking about work experience, would you tailor what you write to the specific firm or is what you write meant to be more general there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinknightiegirl)
    Anyone know of anyone who has applied direct to pinsent masons (no vs) and got an ac? Regions specifically... I think the ac's are this week - ish...
    Yeah, if you look on 'Training Contracts 2017' there seem to be a few people who have ACs from direct applications.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here done the Hogan Lovells spring vac scheme and then reapplied to the summer scheme? Alternatively, is it better to just apply for a direct TC having done that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else still waiting on Eversheds post-vac scheme?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone done the addleshaw-goddard summer vac? could you please tell me how the application process was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y George)
    Guys, has anyone had an interview with Shepherd and Wedderburn before, ideally at their Edinburgh office? I was invited to a first interview + verbal and numerical reasoning tests. Anyone else? Thanks
    How did the interview and tests go? Mine is tomorrow! Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I've mountains of work experience, business involvement., sporting excellence and when it came to the interview stage I am confident that I would nail it in regards to City vacation schemes. However, will my 2:2 in second year hinder me from getting through the first round of application processing? Currently I am on a year abroad and looking to apply for a VS for Summer 2016. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.