Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    whatever happened to team spirit and discipline?
    They were a team of dirtbags for sure (Nasri, RVP, Fabregassed) but they had more talent than the current crop. We just needed some older heads in their to steer the ship, having them as the most senior players was dumb as f.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    The team lacks the spark. That typical Arsenal flair is not there that even the failed team of Nasri, Fabregas, RVP etc had. I get that they did not win any trophies but that is because their team had more gaping holes than this one.

In this team our big players are not as good as we thought they were. Ozil goes missing and is not as good as Fabregas was, Ramsey goes missing but I would say he is as good as Nasri was, Wilshere is missing all of the time. Giroud is not RVP's level for us by any stretch of the imagination.

Who is left to make a difference? Cazorla? Chamberlain (although the guy is young and might turn out great)? Walcott? Welbeck? Really? Would you honestly say these are true Arsenal quality players? We have a lot of depth Wenger is correct, but we have not got quality.

Only player really that really stands out for us is Alexis and funnily enough he has been bailing us out since he has joined.

Essentially Wenger has created a cup team and 4th place also rans. I.e. What we criticise the likes of the old Chelsea for being when we were kids.

The only way this team can go forward is if we are ruthless by selling the dead weight and buying a few top quality players that can carry the rest through games.
    Yeah. We may have been closer to the winners last year in terms of position but quality wise we were miles away.

We're now being linked with some player called Kokorin. Don't know him but it doesn't fill me with confidence and he certainly ain't bringing the title to the Emirates. Reminds me of the Welbeck buy - desperate and last minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think it is because many key players such as Cazorla and Giroud have already reached their peak, gone past that peak, and were never really good enough to be top class in the first place.
    you've never been good enough in recent years to win the title because you simply haven't gone all out to buy the quality you need in the positions you need them in.

if you look at United and Chelsea, they're always trying to improve exactly where it's needed, even if they pay over the odds for it.
    i understand Wenger is very efficient in terms of spending, but that is perhaps the same reason why you haven't won the league in so long.
    it's odd for a team to be so consistently present in the top 4 without building on that and getting a title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    you've never been good enough in recent years to win the title because you simply haven't gone all out to buy the quality you need in the positions you need them in.

if you look at United and Chelsea, they're always trying to improve exactly where it's needed, even if they pay over the odds for it.
    i understand Wenger is very efficient in terms of spending, but that is perhaps the same reason why you haven't won the league in so long.
    it's odd for a team to be so consistently present in the top 4 without building on that and getting a title.

The thing is, the opportunities to buy the quality have definitely been there. So it is not like we can just say "Hey there has not been the quality in the market". That is what is so baffling.

ReputationRep:
    Don't talk about spirit, talk about net spirit.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, the opportunities to buy the quality have definitely been there. So it is not like we can just say "Hey there has not been the quality in the market". That is what is so baffling.
    Exactly.

fair play to you for buying Sanchez because he has turned out wonderfully for you.
    but where would you be if you had just thrown pout £40m for a top striker and £20-30m for a top class DM?
    i'm not saying it's as simple as that but it's quite clear that the teams that take risks and spend large sums just so happen to be the ones winning the title every year.
    it's not like you don't have the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Don't talk about spirit, talk about net spirit.
    prsom :rofl:

i think that needs to go on their OP

ReputationRep:
    maybe if Walcott/Ox had started more games and Ramsey was played more at B2B

ReputationRep:
    Most disappointing transfer window ever for me, given the circumstances. That said, we should be playing a lot better with the players we have already in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Most disappointing transfer window ever for me, given the circumstances. That said, we should be playing a lot better with the players we have already in the squad.
    And we look to be buying Pavlyucenkho mkII.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In this team our big players are not as good as we thought they were. Ozil goes missing and is not as good as Fabregas was, Ramsey goes missing but I would say he is as good as Nasri was, Wilshere is missing all of the time. Giroud is not RVP's level for us by any stretch of the imagination.
    13/14 Ramsey yeah, but in his current form he's nowhere near the level Nasri was in his last season for us.

And btw, I think that Nasri would have become world class had he stayed with us.
    He was in his last season.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey isn't a wide midfielder so he can't play to the best of his ability. Walcott or Ox should play their for sure! Ramsey needs to play central where cazorla is otherwise there is no place in the team for him. He hasn't got the discipline to stay wide. Cazorla should play higher up fighting for ozils position which will hopefully get ozil playing at his best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    13/14 Ramsey yeah, but in his current form he's nowhere near the level Nasri was in his last season for us.

He was in his last season.

Yeah but he went missing for half that season if I recall correctly. He was scoring a lot of goals and then he just tailed off.

ReputationRep:
    Santi playing centrally is the ultimate sign of Ramsey's regression. It's very telling Wenger sacrificed Ramsey's physicality, work rate and timed runs in the middle for essentially Santi's technical ability, vision and distribution.

Ideally we need someone next to a DM who is has a high technical level and is able to physically impose himself in midfield, That for is me is Wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but he went missing for half that season if I recall correctly. He was scoring a lot of goals and then he just tailed off.
    True, our squad generally have issues with tailing off. Fabregas, Nasri, Giroud, Santi, even Sanchez. RvP was the exception.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Santi playing centrally is the ultimate sign of Ramsey's regression. It's very telling Wenger sacrificed Ramsey's physicality, work rate and timed runs in the middle for essentially Santi's technical ability, vision and distribution.

Ideally we need someone next to a DM who is has a high technical level and is able to physically impose himself in midfield, That for is me is Wilshere.
    Whenever Wilshere tries to impose himself he either gets injured or gets booked. He puts in more dangerous tackles than Coquelin.

ReputationRep:

Wilshere can't be that person cos he's not a reliable player who will play all season which a team needs in that position. We need to bring someone in and if not we will have a season much like the last as cazorla can't do the defensive part of his job leaving too much for coquelin in the base of midfield and so the big teams will easily win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Whenever Wilshere tries to impose himself he either gets injured or gets booked. He puts in more dangerous tackles than Coquelin.
    We can't refine his game because he's never fit. Real shame tbh because he can become truly world class

(Original post by wazza98)
    Wilshere can't be that person cos he's not a reliable player who will play all season which a team needs in that position. We need to bring someone in and if not we will have a season much like the last as cazorla can't do the defensive part of his job leaving too much for coquelin in the base of midfield and so the big teams will easily win.
    I was screaming out Schneiderlin to come here. He looks a real player at United their Midfield is more functional and cohesive than ours. He would have been perfect along side Coq

ReputationRep:
    We can't refine his game because he's never fit. Real shame tbh because he can become truly world class

I'd just say his ceiling has always been higher than Ramseys, I agree with Zurich on that one.

ReputationRep:

I was screaming out Schneiderlin to come here. He looks a real player at United their Midfield is more functional and cohesive than ours. He would have been perfect along side Coq
    I agree. So who's left now that we can get in the few days left?
    Carvalho-young, talented but risky at this age. What does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza98)
    I agree. So who's left now that we can get in the few days left?
    Carvalho-young, talented but risky at this age. What does everyone think?
    I's say Krychowiak would be a good shout. Relatively cheap defensive minded midfielder with a excellent technical level, strong pysical presence and can play at CB. Was in La Liga team of the year 14/15.

I'd imagine in tough away matches we'd play him and Coq for better midfielder control and protection. It would be very nice to see

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.