Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm planning to apply for a pgce in citizenship early May for the year 2015-2016, i was wandering whether universities still accept late applications and what chances i have of actually getting offered a place? I only hav two weeks of work experience and a few hours of mentoring. Thank you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehal)
    Hi, i'm planning to apply for a pgce in citizenship early May for the year 2015-2016, i was wandering whether universities still accept late applications and what chances i have of actually getting offered a place? I only hav two weeks of work experience and a few hours of mentoring. Thank you.
    There are still some vacancies (see here)so it's definitely worth a shot. You have the minimum level of experience, so your application will be considered. Beyond that it depends on how strong a candidate you are, but I would recommend arranging some more school experience if possible - both because you can put this on your application and the more time you spend in schools the better prepared you will be.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. would primary school work experience be ok?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehal)
    For secondary, keep it focused on secondary.

I managed to apply late and with only 3 days experience and somehow I crept through past a few other candidates I thought would be better at the course. Just apply and see what happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondsky89)
    I feel that way sometimes too, I am in my 20s and often think do I want the rest of my working life to be like this? I knew it would be a tough choice of career with a lot of work but it is never ending. I like the idea of part time too if only to gain a work/life balance. I am looking for a supportive school but have not applied for any jobs recently. People go on about the holidays but I have been ill since mine began - not really enjoying it!!
    Same here!! I have been ill ever since Friday, can't even enjoy watching rubbish telly that's how bad it is -_-

I have been offered a part time job at a school, I don't know if I should take it or hold out for one with better hours.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh PGCE planning! I remember when my uni tutor came and literally looked into each and every single word - it was a scrutiny I had never experienced. He even picked up on the language used and wrote on it 'do not use slang in plans'. I had written kids as opposed to children. Of course it wasn't good enough and I was put on for CfC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Ahh PGCE planning! I remember when my uni tutor came and literally looked into each and every single word - it was a scrutiny I had never experienced. He even picked up on the language used and wrote on it 'do not use slang in plans'. I had written kids as opposed to children. Of course it wasn't good enough and I was put on for CfC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hold on, you got put on for CfC because you have written 'kids' on your detailed lesson plan? Talk about too much.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehal)
    Lots of universities will ask for 1 week of primary school experience to be completed as part of the PGCE, but this is something that should be done once you have a place. For now, focus on secondary school experience, and get involved as much as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehal)
    It's worth a shot, but I echo - more experience. Not only will this strengthen your application, but it will give you a clearer idea of what to expect. I know you probably already know this but the PGCE is bloody hard and you should go into it with both eyes open! It's also a lot of fun though.

Edit: I forgot to add, I got my place at a good university in July after my original offer fell through. Made no difference whatsoever. So April is not late at all

---

IT'S EASTER!!! I also got some results back from my first M level essay today and got a high 2:1! Very pleased with that result. Now to relax by planning some more lessons. I'm so happy that it's Easter that I don't even mind doing more work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Hold on, you got put on for CfC because you have written 'kids' on your detailed lesson plan? Talk about too much.
    Not only that, but the quality of planning was deemed not good enough. That and the lesson. And I let him know I wasn't too pleased.

ReputationRep:
    Giving myself a break now for the next few days as I am off to Denmark to visit some friends!! Pretty worried about the amount I still have to do but I've got quite a bit down these past few days so I deserve a bit of a rest!!

Not long now, guys! About 3 months for me...!!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's ridiculous (the being told the language). If you'd written something offensive fair enough, but there isn't space or time to write full length prose every time.

I write chn for children, # for numbers and tbh abbreviate what I can to make the planning fit in a small, more useable space.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    That's ridiculous (the being told the language). If you'd written something offensive fair enough, but there isn't space or time to write full length prose every time.

I write chn for children, # for numbers and tbh abbreviate what I can to make the planning fit in a small, more useable space.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah he was always a hard tutor. I don't think he ever liked the fact that I was a quiet member of the group and never shared his passion for music.

ReputationRep:
    Not only that, but the quality of planning was deemed not good enough. That and the lesson. And I let him know I wasn't too pleased.
    Shocking to hear that, what did your uni mentor do about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Shocking to hear that, what did your uni mentor do about it?
    That was my uni tutor. My placement mentor was so much better. I was put on CfC but it wasn't as bad as it could have been because of my placement mentor - she was very understanding and understood that I was finding Reception difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    It's worth a shot, but I echo - more experience. Not only will this strengthen your application, but it will give you a clearer idea of what to expect. I know you probably already know this but the PGCE is bloody hard and you should go into it with both eyes open! It's also a lot of fun though.

Edit: I forgot to add, I got my place at a good university in July after my original offer fell through. Made no difference whatsoever. So April is not late at all

---

IT'S EASTER!!! I also got some results back from my first M level essay today and got a high 2:1! Very pleased with that result. Now to relax by planning some more lessons. I'm so happy that it's Easter that I don't even mind doing more work!
    What work experience did you have when you applied? I'm finding it really difficult to find work experience at secondary schools. Iv been constantly ringing and emailing schools that the reveptionists now recognise me from my voice!

ReputationRep:
    That was my uni tutor. My placement mentor was so much better. I was put on CfC but it wasn't as bad as it could have been because of my placement mentor - she was very understanding and understood that I was finding Reception difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you finished your pgce now then? What exactly does a CfC mean? I mean, what changes? Do they keep an extra eye on you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehal)
    What work experience did you have when you applied? I'm finding it really difficult to find work experience at secondary schools. Iv been constantly ringing and emailing schools that the reveptionists now recognise me from my voice!
    I had a year of volunteering one day a week, plus two sets of two weeks in one school and two weeks in another. One of these schools wrote my reference for UCAS. Finding experience was hard but be persistent. Ask to speak to the person in charge of work experience students. If they're busy, ask when would be best to call back. If you can't do that, email someone. Direct to a person is always much better than the admin email. Good luck, just keep on ringing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehal)
    Also try calling in in person if you can. Obviously the relevant person may be busy and you just have to come back another time, but they're more likely to give you a specific time or appointment, and there's a chance you will get to speak to them straight away. As long as you are persistent but not pushy about it it should help.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Have you finished your pgce now then? What exactly does a CfC mean? I mean, what changes? Do they keep an extra eye on you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah this was last year. CfC is apparently your final chance - they give you specific targets which you need to meet. They're supposed to be smaller digestible targets. My placement mentor wasn't really fussed tho. She only went ahead with the CfC because my uni tutor wanted it. Extra eye on me? I couldn't tell tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.