Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What is the party's opinion on the latest ridiculous statement by the supreme leader that we should be putting SSBNs to sea without the capacity to utilise the "B" bit of their name at massive cost?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry we don't have a supreme leader. Please come back when you're not high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    One tax I feel should be increased is the Inhertitance Tax. At the moment, it is so low I don't know why they even bother at all.
    It's not overly low, the problem with it being that it never has huge money earning potential and is painful to those who lose money their loved ones saved for them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I presume we are on about trident? In which case Corbyn floated an idea which is being considered by the defence review, and it's not the worse idea in the world, the subs can easily be used for other purposes, including other military purposes.
    Pretty sure that supposing the vanguard replacement costs the same as a Vanguard sub I'm pretty sure getting at least 2 Astute class to do a much better job of the same thing is a better idea, and in reality the Vanguard replacement will probably cost more, in fact, based on forecasts of the turn out cost of successor we could increase the size of our planned astute fleet by 400%
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    What is the party's opinion on the latest ridiculous statement by the supreme leader that we should be putting SSBNs to sea without the capacity to utilise the "B" bit of their name at massive cost?Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not often I say this about Corbyn, but it's a bit half-baked tbh. Just get rid of the damn things already.

(Original post by United1892)
    I'm sorry we don't have a supreme leader. Please come back when you're not high.
    Best response ever :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure that supposing the vanguard replacement costs the same as a Vanguard sub I'm pretty sure getting at least 2 Astute class to do a much better job of the same thing is a better idea, and in reality the Vanguard replacement will probably cost more, in fact, based on forecasts of the turn out cost of successor we could increase the size of our planned astute fleet by 400%
    Something I am sure the defence review would be looking at, all Corbyn said it was one idea that had been suggested already was to continue producing the submarines, but not arm them with nuclear warheads but other weapons, if the shipyards could simply build other submarines which would be more effective I'm sure that'd be considered as it'd still keep the jobs, and keep them working on something going towards defence of the Country
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Something I am sure the defence review would be looking at, all Corbyn said it was one idea that had been suggested already was to continue producing the submarines, but not arm them with nuclear warheads but other weapons, if the shipyards could simply build other submarines which would be more effective I'm sure that'd be considered as it'd still keep the jobs, and keep them working on something going towards defence of the Country
    There are only two options, one is to back successor in its entirety, nukes and all, the other is to oppose it in its entirety, either way Corbyn loses.

ReputationRep:
    There are only two options, one is to back successor in its entirety, nukes and all, the other is to oppose it in its entirety, either way Corbyn loses.
    Well the defence review is set to be done by May I think so we'll find out then I am sure
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well the defence review is set to be done by May I think so we'll find out then I am sure
    In fact, no matter what they decide it will be a bad week for Corbyn, what will it be, something like his 40th in a row?

ReputationRep:
    In fact, no matter what they decide it will be a bad week for Corbyn, what will it be, something like his 40th in a row?
    I feel like last week was probably quite a good one for him.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    I feel like last week was probably quite a good one for him.
    A slightly polished turd is still a turd though

ReputationRep:
    A slightly polished turd is still a turd though
    A polished turd is exactly how I would describe George Osbourne, but he still somehow became Chancellor.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    A polished turd is exactly how I would describe George Osbourne, but he still somehow became Chancellor.
    being buddies with the PM tends to help on that front
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'd like to congratulate cranbrook_aspie on his new position. Fully deserved.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'd like to congratulate cranbrook_aspie on his new position. Fully deserved.
    Thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    I agree with the principle of inheritance tax but the problem is how easy it is to avoid and how difficult it is to administer. Ultimately I think a progressive land value tax (LVT) would be preferable as it would tax the super-rich throughout their lifetime rather than just when they die and then will continue to tax whoever inherits the land from them as well, ultimately making inheritance tax unnecessary. Worth noting I would have the LVT as a primary source of income, large enough to get rid of VAT and significantly reduce income tax on the working and middle classes.
    Yes, LVT would also make it harder for greedy landlords to get a monopoly of properties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Thank you
    Congratulations from me. ☺ I just have one question. What is your new position?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, LVT would also make it harder for greedy landlords to get a monopoly of properties.
    We passed one last term and at the moment we're trying to pass an amendment in Government which will change it to a Ground Rent Tax.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Congratulations from me. ☺ I just have one question. What is your new position?
    Chair of the TSR Labour Party
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The TSR Labour Party: where people are congratulated for having become furniture.

:facepalm2:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    The TSR Labour Party: where people are congratulated for having become furniture.

:facepalm2:
    I was gonna make that joke. By the way, what party were you in back in the day?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.