Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Are you two related? :awesome:
    Nope we just clearly both have an awesome taste in usernames

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Hahaha, no she had never heard of me before she made the account!
    Considering the fact that you seem to be something of a legend on here, the fact that I hadn't heard of you still kind of surprises me

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe that could have also been due to stupid mistakes? I still got an A in M2 in the end so hardly a terrible grade, I never had any problems with M2 or found it much of a jump from M1, just made trivial mistakes I shouldn't have on the day.
    If I make these trivial mistakes then I will do even worse though:confused:
    Also, I have a question are vectors just another way to express parametric equations say if you have s=24i+34j+t(6i-3j)
    couldn't this just be rewrote as x=24+6t y=34-3t and thus it is a parametic equation and if y=34-3t then 34-y=3t 68-2y=6t x=24+68-2y=92-2y 92-x=2y 46-x/2=y now its in the form y=mx+c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    Nope we just clearly both have an awesome taste in usernames

Considering the fact that you seem to be something of a legend on here, the fact that I hadn't heard of you still kind of surprises me
    Hahaha, I've cut down now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    FP1 and S1 are my joint favourites at the moment.
    Are you determining your favourite modules from stuff done in the summer? I'm concerned that my school might be doing something wrong, if you've done enough in lessons to have favourite modules this early, but if you did stuff in the summer that would make sense

Both of those modules end up getting very tedious
    I opened my FP1 book excited to see what was what, but it became so damn boring by the end :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    If I make these trivial mistakes then I will do even worse though:confused:
    Also, I have a question are vectors just another way to express parametric equations say if you have s=24i+34j+t(6i-3j)
    couldn't this just be rewrote as x=24+6t y=34-3t and thus it is a parametic equation and if y=34-3t then 34-y=3t 68-2y=6t x=24+68-2y=92-2y 92-x=2y 46-x/2=y now its in the form y=mx+c.
    No vectors \not= parametric equations. To simplify that you could express it in the form (24 + 6t)i + (34 - 3t)j or if it helps \begin{pmatrix} 24 + 6t \\ 34 - 3t \end{pmatrix}. You don't ever express it in terms of y and x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)

I opened my FP1 book excited to see what was what, but it became so damn boring by the end :facepalm2:
    I enjoyed proof by Induction, and didn't mind matrices & series , but yh the questions do get really repetitive.

ReputationRep:
    No vectors \not= parametric equations. To simplify that you could express it in the form (24 + 6t)i + (34 - 3t)j or if it helps \begin{pmatrix} 24 + 6t \\ 34 - 3t \end{pmatrix}. You don't ever express it in terms of y and x.
    i and j are just x and y really though aren't they because the origin is often mentioned in questions so that means they are on a graph and they use x and y generally.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can understand that - there's so many more things to do with A levels, 'cause you've got to sort things like work experience as well. It gets complicated!!

ReputationRep:
    Me neither. High-five!!

Ahh, you're one of those lucky people who didn't need to work at GCSE... I envy you all
    trust me there is nothing to envy, I wish I actually worked for gcse's ,firstly I could of got an few extra A*'s and secondly I'm just not used to actually using my brain so these last few weeks have been a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahiscool)
    trust me there is nothing to envy, I wish I actually worked for gcse's ,firstly I could of got an few extra A*'s and secondly I'm just not used to actually using my brain so these last few weeks have been a nightmare
    I suppose the adjusting bit is quite hard. I'm sure you'll get used to it though, and when you do you should be able to do amazingly just the thing is, I had to work much harder than everyone thinks for my GCSE grades, they were pretty good but nothing special compared to the people on here, and now everyone around me expects me to do incredibly well at A level as well. But having had to work so hard for GCSE I'm not sure I can do that, even if I do work. And I want to study Medicine, so if I don't do ridiculously well I'll have to change my entire future plan, so it's all a little stressful but I'm sure we'll all get through it.

ReputationRep:
    i and j are just x and y really though aren't they because the origin is often mentioned in questions so that means they are on a graph and they use x and y generally.
    I suppose you could, but I don't see what would be the point

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the adjusting bit is quite hard. I'm sure you'll get used to it though, and when you do you should be able to do amazingly just the thing is, I had to work much harder than everyone thinks for my GCSE grades, they were pretty good but nothing special compared to the people on here, and now everyone around me expects me to do incredibly well at A level as well. But having had to work so hard for GCSE I'm not sure I can do that, even if I do work. And I want to study Medicine, so if I don't do ridiculously well I'll have to change my entire future plan, so it's all a little stressful but I'm sure we'll all get through it.
    Medicine is hard. I have bad grades. I learnt from my GCSEs that I will find it hard to get into medicine but I have put it up one gear, to steal the place of someone else, so I now work harder than ever. Trust me, don't give up. You can't just get through it, you will need to rip through it. You need to walk in and out of the exam like it was nothing. Remember someone want's that place A LOT more than you do, but you will have to want it MORE. You want to earn what is rightfully yours, so don't be like me and put it up one gear, put it up 10 fold.
    Just don't disappoint yourself, as long as you do that, you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you could, but I don't see what would be the point
    It helped me understand what was going on a lot better in terms of x and y and I'm thinking that using i and j for vectors might not have been a good idea by Edexcel and other boards because of confused with sqrt(-1).

ReputationRep:
    you are up 9000 from mayishh .... thats not a slow down lol

Ryan
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Jesus, I didn't think bringing Warwick Uni's points down by five in the chat game would result in a mini neg-storm. -_- Looks like it's a different uni to fill the gap in the UCAS choice form if Warwick Uni's students are all like that.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics is very interesting but it is very easy to make mistakes in Mechanics and you really have to understand what is going on, which makes it really hard.I feel for those who have to do Mechanics as part of normal Maths because Mechanics is way harder than any of the AS Pure Maths modules.

If I do really bad in M1 could EDEXCEL swapo S1 and M1 in such a way that I do better in Further Maths but don't get an A in Maths-I'm a bit worried about this-its unlikely I will do bad enough in M1 not to get an A in Maths( with high scores in C1 and C2) anyway but I just wondered.

What would you advise me to do if I can't understand Mechanics because neither a Maths or Physics degree would be a good idea.
    Yeah many times me and my friend have gone through a full question figuring stuff out only to notice we get the wrong answer, then spend most the lesson trying to find what went wrong! :lol:

What makes me feel worse is I'm taking all 4 mechanics modules! :eek:

I'm afraid I can't be much help on the exams and advice kind of stuff, sorry. But if you would like to get into a math/physics career I would imagine you would need to put in a lot of work for mechanics to help yourself, or just avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, I didn't think bringing Warwick Uni's points down by five in the chat game would result in a mini neg-storm. -_- Looks like it's a different uni to fill the gap in the UCAS choice form if Warwick Uni's students are all like that.
    Come on, I don't think anybody really takes the rep system seriously any more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    Yeah many times me and my friend have gone through a full question figuring stuff out only to notice we get the wrong answer, then spend most the lesson trying to find what went wrong! :lol:

What makes me feel worse is I'm taking all 4 mechanics modules! :eek:

I'm afraid I can't be much help on the exams and advice kind of stuff, sorry. But if you would like to get into a math/physics career I would imagine you would need to put in a lot of work for mechanics to help yourself, or just avoid it.
    I'm putting in a lot of effort now and I'm taking M1-M3 and M1-M2 for AS Further Maths so I am worried that it will screw my AS Further Maths up.I am working really hard at the moment-I never really had to revise for Maths before.Its so hard to adjust between topics as well because in my last lesson I got 16/16 on a really hard question but completely messed up the easy question because I was forgetting the basic and easy methods you could use for them.I find that so much goes into Mechanics questions-its like when your teacher says design a really hard question and you put loads of stuff into it and that's what they do fro virtually every Mechanics question.There are loads of ways to go wrong eg. thinking that the acceleration up a slope once a pulley snaps is -9.8 but you forgot friction, you forgot that its on a slope so a=gsintheta etc etc-how people are supposed to plug all these things into at once and not make a mistake and forget or misassume something is beyond me.

Its possible I truly don't have that much mathematical ability-I can do pure maths but Mechanics is so hard I find it interesting though and its a great feeling to solve a Mechanics problem correctly.Are you like me in the way that I check the answers at the back every question because I always think that I have probably gone wrong and a lot of the time I have-in comparison for Maths I just fly through them and check the answers at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Those chat threads seem to be just lures for trolls, when I saw the thread Cambridge and Oxford had been knocked out in the early rounds which really shows how stupid the threads are.

ReputationRep:
    Those chat threads seem to be just lures for trolls, when I saw the thread Cambridge and Oxford had been knocked out in the early rounds which really shows how stupid the threads are.
    How does it? Maybe people just don't like those universities...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.