Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    Yeah that's real good, well done! What did u get at AS? Tbh AS don't really do much good unless they're good enough to put in a Reference. As long as ur school predicts high then that should be alright.

You might want to check universities that use subtests scores because VR is a bit low, however VR has been low for everyone this year so you'll be fine probably.

Your ukcat is good for the vast majority of universities.
    Oh thank you! Well my AS were CCDD. I'm hoping to retake some modules to get higher grades. And i dont think my teachers will predict high grades for me (I was slacking alot this year compared to GCSE).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    Omg hey!!
    Apparently it's not too bad... Idk how I'm coping with this, personal statement, and trying to find a good uni... Hopefully AR will be alrightish... It's my worst one and the highest I've got is 400 FOUR HUNDRED LIKE OMG I NEED HELP FROM THE LORD HIMSELF... I FEEL YOU BRO
    Do you use SCANS? AR is my worst too as I get 0 patterns. It's just ssoooo annoying!
    (Original post by Jamie_F99)
    Anyone else find UKCAT official mock B particularly heartbreaking?
    Tbh, I got 3 less on average on my mocks between A and B. But I got 551 average for A and 548 average for B so my results are bad enough as it is tbh
    All of them are heartbreaking
    Yup!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I know it's not UKCAT relevant but this is the most active thread, has most people finished their personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Do you use SCANS? AR is my worst too as I get 0 patterns. It's just ssoooo annoying!

Tbh, I got 3 less on average on my mocks between A and B. But I got 551 average for A and 548 average for B so my results are bad enough as it is tbh

Yup!
    Just done practice test B and got 830 on VR, 700 on QR and 530 on AR :c
    so stumped atm
    I don't really use SCANS (I probably should tbh) I just look at it and hope I spot something

ReputationRep:
    Just done practice test B and got 830 on VR, 700 on QR and 530 on AR :c
    so stumped atm
    I don't really use SCANS (I probably should tbh) I just look at it and hope I spot something
    830 is ridiculous. Do you have any tips for vr? As for ar, it really just comes down to practice. SCANS is good. Always spend max 30 sec finding the pattern and dont count first, look at the shapes size etc first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemunch12)
    830 is ridiculous. Do you have any tips for vr? As for ar, it really just comes down to practice. SCANS is good. Always spend max 30 sec finding the pattern and dont count first, look at the shapes size etc first.
    Why not count first? Majority of patterns are number based

ReputationRep:
    Counting is the most time consuming and can waste a lot of time, so it is better to quickly go through the others first. I used SSSPN and got 880 in AR. Size, Shape, Shade, Position Number.

ReputationRep:
    Counting takes the longest. Its easier to identify the simple patterns first and discard them rather then counting straight away and then checking everything else. A lot of the time its also multi pattern so its better to identify a general pattern as well e.g. more black then white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    Counting is the most time consuming and can waste a lot of time, so it is better to quickly go through the others first. I used SSSPN and got 880 in AR. Size, Shape, Shade, Position Number.
    But like aren't the others easier to tell before you resort to using this anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    Thats really good! Any tips for that section? Were the patterns mostly quite obvious?

ReputationRep:
    But like aren't the others easier to tell before you resort to using this anyway?
    It's pretty hard to do all of that in a tight time frame and I found AR in the exam hard as for most of mine counting didn't achieve much it was multi pattern things, so like I said- time consuming. If you're good at shapes then I'm sure you could come out with 750+, but I found the shapes in my exam hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    It's pretty hard to do all of that in a tight time frame and I found AR in the exam hard as for most of mine counting didn't achieve much it was multi pattern things, so like I said- time consuming. If you're good at shapes then I'm sure you could come out with 750+, but I found the shapes in my exam hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right. Were there lots of multiples for you? What would u say was the highest occurring type of pattern like size/shape/numbers etc.
    what would you look for in shape, number of a certain shape would be under numbers so i don't get what u would look for with that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Were there lots of multiples for you? What would u say was the highest occurring type of pattern like size/shape/numbers etc.
    what would you look for in shape, number of a certain shape would be under numbers so i don't get what u would look for with that.
    Yeah there was lots for me and I know that as I couldn't get the whole pattern only half for a lot of questions and had to guess 😂 I don't know what was the highest occurring as I really wasn't trying to remember during the exam lol I was too busy! For shape I had on my notes when I was practicing, concave and convex, type of shape present or particular shape present, are the straight lines of the shape parallel, how many lines of symmetry (rotational, horizontal, vertical), can't remember much else but I think that'll do for shapes 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Yeah there was lots for me and I know that as I couldn't get the whole pattern only half for a lot of questions and had to guess 😂 I don't know what was the highest occurring as I really wasn't trying to remember during the exam lol I was too busy! For shape I had on my notes when I was practicing, concave and convex, type of shape present or particular shape present, are the straight lines of the shape parallel, how many lines of symmetry (rotational, horizontal, vertical), can't remember much else but I think that'll do for shapes 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot michaela

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I find some number patterns really obvious such as an even number of shapes, all shapes have odd number of sides etc but then there are some weird ones too etc so I leave it last, But before I went through SSSPN I looked at both sets for about 5 seconds to see if any jump straight out at me, and some number ones did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemunch12)
    Thats really good! Any tips for that section? Were the patterns mostly quite obvious?
    About similar difficulty to medify. Just look for 5 seconds then go through SSSPN and if you don't get it in like 30 ish secs move on

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to wish everyone luck for the final few weeks of testing. It really is better than the mocks so don't worry too much and keep pressing on!!

Check out my blog for some more detailed tips on each section, hopefully it helps someone

www.scrubsnstilettos.wordpress.c om

ReputationRep:
    HI Guys ,
    Does anyone know where I can find the specific UKCAT cut offs for different universities? (other than the ukcat website which is extremely vague).
    I got a score of 663.3 in my UKCAT and my predicted grades are 6 A1 (Irish Leaving cert).....where would I stand a chance?

Could really use some help! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebro16)
    HI Guys ,
    Does anyone know where I can find the specific UKCAT cut offs for different universities? (other than the ukcat website which is extremely vague).
    I got a score of 663.3 in my UKCAT and my predicted grades are 6 A1 (Irish Leaving cert).....where would I stand a chance?

Could really use some help! :/
    So there are some on the UKCAT website if you go on how uni's use the UKCAT document like Plymouth have all their cut offs on there. Next best thing is to search the uni's website, after that either call/email them if you can't find any still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikram99)
    I got Band 4 aswell!
    Sad time for us man. Whats your plan now then considering almost every single unis straight reject the application with band 4 on situational judgement.
    The UKCAT website mock i used to get really high scores on situational judgement and really bad scores on quantitative reasoning but in actual exam i somehow managed to do the worst possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.