Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Yeah this was last year. CfC is apparently your final chance - they give you specific targets which you need to meet. They're supposed to be smaller digestible targets. My placement mentor wasn't really fussed tho. She only went ahead with the CfC because my uni tutor wanted it. Extra eye on me? I couldn't tell tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would understand if your placement mentor put you on CfC but your uni tutor? They are supposed to be on your side and be more supportive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    I would understand if your placement mentor put you on CfC but your uni tutor? They are supposed to be on your side and be more supportive!
    He wasn't. I had two tutors and he knew I, and most, preferred the other over him. I'm not saying that was the reason but he definitely had something against me. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that teachers aren't even allowed days off for funerals. Is this true? My nan is in hospital and the doctors said they don't think she is going to pull through. Do I just ask for a day off for a funeral? I'm going - that is non-negotiable, but wondering how to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I have heard that teachers aren't even allowed days off for funerals. Is this true? My nan is in hospital and the doctors said they don't think she is going to pull through. Do I just ask for a day off for a funeral? I'm going - that is non-negotiable, but wondering how to ask.
    No, you'll be fine. Usually you get up to five days for urgent family issues, although this can vary according to how arsey the head wants to be. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching is just like any other job - things like bereavements cannot be avoided and I think it varies from school to school, but generally there are some days allocated for this reason (I think from memory it's 5)

On the PGCE too, you're also allowed a certain number of days - for us it's 5 days without having to make those days up (excluding interviews), between 6-10 you may have to make the days up and 10-15 you will have to make the days up.

Any more than that and we are required to resit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    No, you'll be fine. Usually you get up to five days for urgent family issues, although this can vary according to how arsey the head wants to be. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

(Original post by Samus2)
    Teaching is just like any other job - things like bereavements cannot be avoided and I think it varies from school to school, but generally there are some days allocated for this reason (I think from memory it's 5)

On the PGCE too, you're also allowed a certain number of days - for us it's 5 days without having to make those days up (excluding interviews), between 6-10 you may have to make the days up and 10-15 you will have to make the days up.

Any more than that and we are required to resit.
    Thanks for letting me know. I am worried about absences but this is different. I've had a total of 12 days off my second placement (had an operation), and 4 off first placement. So 16, but my uni know this and they have never mentioned resitting. I'd like to think they would mention that to me :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for letting me know. I am worried about absences but this is different. I've had a total of 12 days off my second placement (had an operation), and 4 off first placement. So 16, but my uni know this and they have never mentioned resitting. I'd like to think they would mention that to me :ninja:
    I'm not sure about your universities procedure, but I'd email either the tutor and course director now and let them know that needing more time off is a possibility due to a family member being sick and then ask what the procedure for absence is?

In our student handbook/student guidance booklet is where it tells us the procedure for absence because I'm sure I read somewhere that in order to qualify, we need to complete 120 days in school!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

I've known teachers go to funerals, and I imagine it's the same for PGCEs. Just give as much notice as you can and it should be fine. If you were going to be asked to resit, I would imagine that would have already been brought up (I think it has at my university).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I'm not sure about your universities procedure, but I'd email either the tutor and course director now and let them know that needing more time off is a possibility due to a family member being sick and then ask what the procedure for absence is?

In our student handbook/student guidance booklet is where it tells us the procedure for absence because I'm sure I read somewhere that in order to qualify, we need to complete 120 days in school!
    It is a legal requirement that we have 120 days. Our uni has 125 planned, so if we miss more than 5 we have to make it up at the end of the course. Of course there's only limited time to do that though. I think it's a week for ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    It is a legal requirement that we have 120 days. Our uni has 125 planned, so if we miss more than 5 we have to make it up at the end of the course. Of course there's only limited time to do that though. I think it's a week for ours.
    Do the uni actually count every day? Unless you miss a huge chunk, there's nothing much to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

i need some help choosing classroom research project.

I want to do something related to formative assessment especially self assessment. Do you have any ideas on this?

I want to do something simple so that it won't take too much time during my school placement. I am already struggling with the course. Any help would be of a great help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lupuccho)
    Hi everyone,

i need some help choosing classroom research project.

I want to do something related to formative assessment especially self assessment. Do you have any ideas on this?

I want to do something simple so that it won't take too much time during my school placement. I am already struggling with the course. Any help would be of a great help.
    What age group and/or subject?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Secondary maths.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    What age group and/or subject?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ks3 maths.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do the uni actually count every day? Unless you miss a huge chunk, there's nothing much to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They should have some way of checking since, as said above it's a legal requirement that you do those days in school. The government at the minute is very very keen in school based training and have upped the requirements in recent years (making it hard for some pgce providers to fit in the taught time they feel their trainees need, but that's another topic I won't get started on...).

On my course it was a matter of you and your tutor just signing to say the number of days spent in school.

The thing that will depend on the uni is how its sorted out. Some will have more extra days built in than others. Some will have timetables that leave quite a bit if term time that's not during the course meaning its easy to do some extra days to catch up. Sometimes people have to do more days in September to gain QTS.

I agree that Airfairy would (or really really should!) Have been told if any extra days were likely to be needed by now.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lupuccho)
    Ks3 maths.
    Thanks
    My initial instinct would say to try out a couple of methods and compare them, asking a group of students about how they felt about them, noting participation etc.

Otherwise introduce a new method and track it over say two weeks. How involved are they? Do they become more accurate? And again ask how they feel at points throughout.

Possibly comparing use at different times of the lesson... Assessing understanding after input vs after work?

Or maybe looking at ways you can help students have a more accurate understanding of their long term progress (use the teachers data to measure this) and what they need to do next.

But mainly I'd say, look at a couple of books/papers on the subject and get your ideas from there because it will make the write up a lot easier if you already know there's relevant research/writing!!! I'm afraid I can't recommend any specific texts but hopefully someone else here can.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    My initial instinct would say to try out a couple of methods and compare them, asking a group of students about how they felt about them, noting participation etc.

Otherwise introduce a new method and track it over say two weeks. How involved are they? Do they become more accurate? And again ask how they feel at points throughout.

Possibly comparing use at different times of the lesson... Assessing understanding after input vs after work?

Or maybe looking at ways you can help students have a more accurate understanding of their long term progress (use the teachers data to measure this) and what they need to do next.

But mainly I'd say, look at a couple of books/papers on the subject and get your ideas from there because it will make the write up a lot easier if you already know there's relevant research/writing!!! I'm afraid I can't recommend any specific texts but hopefully someone else here can.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you again,

I am thinking about putting my research question as

Does self assessment increases pupils engagement and motivation towards the topic?

I will do the pre-survey about their motivation and engagement in lesson.

Then introduce self assessment in the classroom for 2 weeks.

And finally after 2 weeks I will carry out the post survey looking at their motivation and engagement in the lesson.

Do you think this will be OK? I have never done this kind of research before so really worried about this assignment.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On each of our reports our mentor writes how many days off we have had that placement and we also have to submit an end of placement attendance sheet which needs to be signed off by both our professional mentor and curriculum mentor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I've known teachers go to funerals, and I imagine it's the same for PGCEs. Just give as much notice as you can and it should be fine. If you were going to be asked to resit, I would imagine that would have already been brought up (I think it has at my university).
    Yeah, thanks.
    (Original post by alabelle)
    We finish quite early. Middle of June, so there's loads of time to catch up on days.
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    They should have some way of checking since, as said above it's a legal requirement that you do those days in school. The government at the minute is very very keen in school based training and have upped the requirements in recent years (making it hard for some pgce providers to fit in the taught time they feel their trainees need, but that's another topic I won't get started on...).

On my course it was a matter of you and your tutor just signing to say the number of days spent in school.

The thing that will depend on the uni is how its sorted out. Some will have more extra days built in than others. Some will have timetables that leave quite a bit if term time that's not during the course meaning its easy to do some extra days to catch up. Sometimes people have to do more days in September to gain QTS.

I agree that Airfairy would (or really really should!) Have been told if any extra days were likely to be needed by now.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Extra days have been mentioned - a resit has not. They told me that if I look like I'm meeting the standards I may not have to make up the extra days, but I did have two weeks off, so I am expecting to have to add on at least a week.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the 120 day legal requirement, I'm a little confused because my uni told me we were allowed 10 days off without having to make it up, yet I just counted school placement days on my calendar and we have 120 school placement days... so I don't know where they have got the 10 days from. They would need to have 130 for that :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.