Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I was gonna make that joke. By the way, what party were you in back in the day?
    I was leader of UKIP (a very different UKIP to now) and then joined Labour, which after a short period of time I was also leader of. I may or may not have also been a member of the Libertarians during this time - I don't quite remember.

Why do you ask?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I was leader of UKIP (a very different UKIP to now) and then joined Labour, which after a short period of time I was also leader of. I may or may not have also been a member of the Libertarians during this time - I don't quite remember.

Why do you ask?
    Just wondering, it's like MHoC history. This place has been around for about 11 years, and I've only been involved for 1 of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Congratulations from me. ☺ I just have one question. What is your new position?
    Thank you My role as chair is basically to ensure that the internal structure of the party and its subforum is the best it can be, and also to run internal party elections, to admit new members to the user group once they've been dupe-checked, and, as a part of the leadership team, to advise the leader should he request it. I'm also automatically Chief Labour Whip, so I ensure that all Labour MPs vote on as much as possible, and in theory I have the power to tell them how to vote after consultation with the leader and DL, although due to my ideological opposition to this this is not a power that I plan on using very often if at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Thank you My role as chair is basically to ensure that the internal structure of the party and its subforum is the best it can be, and also to run internal party elections, to admit new members to the user group once they've been dupe-checked, and, as a part of the leadership team, to advise the leader should he request it. I'm also automatically Chief Labour Whip, so I ensure that all Labour MPs vote on as much as possible, and in theory I have the power to tell them how to vote after consultation with the leader and DL, although due to my ideological opposition to this this is not a power that I plan on using very often if at all.
    I believe that the lack of whipping in this place is the sort of thing that leads to the house both voting against nuclear disarmament and the renewal of Trident.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that the lack of whipping in this place is the sort of thing that leads to the house both voting against nuclear disarmament and the renewal of Trident.
    Parties shouldn't need to whip. They should be able to persuade their members why the party line is the right line. Rest assured, however, that I will make an exception for the budget.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Just wondering, it's like MHoC history. This place has been around for about 11 years, and I've only been involved for 1 of those.
    I think I first became involved in early 2010 but posted intermittently in debates in 2009 and possibly 2008 on an old account I used briefly but I'm not sure. MHoC history is very interesting. I joined the house at the behest of an old member that I doubt anyone here will remember (iwilson) who I knew from another chat thread. I decided it would be fun to join UKIP - which had recently re-branded from the PCP and was full of the types of people you would expect - and try to take over. I did join UKIP and swiftly positioned myself to win the leadership election - which I did. I then removed some of the people and adopted a broadly Eurosceptic position for the party but otherwise completely ignored the typical UKIP policies (famously joining the rainbow coalition and routinely creating/supporting "left-wing" legislation).

I carried on with that for a while until I got bored of the house and didn't want to spend much time posting anymore. At that point I joined Labour because the party at that time supported positions most cognate with my own as a social democrat. I never intended to be an active participant from what I remember but there was a leadership election and I received PMs from several key members of the party asking me to stand for whatever reason so I did and of course won. I don't think I remained leader for very long as I soon lost interest but that is the short version of my history in the house.

After this I became Speaker for a little while before again becoming bored with having to be active so resigned. Following this I applied to join every party and told them I was doing so and they all accepted me with the exception of UKIP and the nasty party. I remained in all of them until first the Libers died (RIP) and recently I obviously refused to relinquish membership of the other parties so was removed from Labour.

If you ever have any other questions about the past feel free to ask though Birch has been here longer than I have (as has Bun, though much less actively)

ReputationRep:
    With December polling averages putting Labour 7% behind with polling samples that we now know are under-weighting the Tories.. just how badly does Corbyn need to be performing for his supporters to accept that he must be replaced for the good of the wider party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    With December polling averages putting Labour 7% behind with polling samples that we now know are under-weighting the Tories.. just how badly does Corbyn need to be performing for his supporters to accept that he must be replaced for the good of the wider party.
    Replacing him would be more suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn has sustained more attacks from the right-wing press (not to mention the centrist press - read: the Guardian, the Independent and the New Statesman) at this point in his leadership than the previous three combined. If people are intelligent, they'll see through the hatchet job and his polling will gradually improve.

ReputationRep:
    Until either the election or he starts supporting Conservative policies.

ReputationRep:
    Never, because it boils down to this: I have my set of views, and I believe that that set of views would lead to a better Britain. As such, I want the leader of the Labour Party to share a good chunk of those views. Corbyn does. I don't care how badly he's doing in the polls because Corbyn on 30% is a hell of a lot better in my eyes than Liz Kendall on 40%.

ReputationRep:
    Never, because it boils down to this: I have my set of views, and I believe that that set of views would lead to a better Britain. As such, I want the leader of the Labour Party to share a good chunk of those views. Corbyn does. I don't care how badly he's doing in the polls because Corbyn on 30% is a hell of a lot better in my eyes than Liz Kendall on 40%.
    So the tories in power is better than kendall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    *as good as or only slightly worse.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Kendall would be doing any better tbh, I think she'd end up a bit of a non-entity of a leader, further drive away the core Labour support, and I think it'd be a bit of a non-disaster (in the terms of it being a disaster, just one no one really cared about or covered in the media)

ReputationRep:
    Kendall would be doing almost as bad if not worse and anyone who's honest knows it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Kendall would be doing almost as bad if not worse and anyone who's honest knows it.
    Essentially my view, I also think we'd be doing far worse in London as if Kendall won we'd have Tessa Jowell as the candidate almost certainly and I think Zac Goldsmith would be doing far better against her than against Sadiq

ReputationRep:
    *as good as or only slightly worse.
    You're embarrassing yourself here.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I don't think Kendall would be doing any better tbh, I think she'd end up a bit of a non-entity of a leader, further drive away the core Labour support, and I think it'd be a bit of a non-disaster (in the terms of it being a disaster, just one no one really cared about or covered in the media)
    Not the point, Cranbrook commented he'd rather have Corbyn losing on 30% (tory government) than Kendall winning on 40% (labour government).

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I agree but it's not the point.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a Kendall led Labour Party would be what the Country needs from a Labour Government and I am fairly sure I'd struggle to support the manifesto produced for 2020, or the decisions made by the shadow cabinet in regards to votes. Whereas I think Corbyn is what the Country does from a Labour Government, give or take a few bits, and the manifesto in 2020 under Corbyn is something I think I could, if it is anything like I can imagine it being, support pretty much wholeheartedly. So I can see where cranbrook is coming from, but any labour government would be better than a tory government, I may despise Blair but he certain was better than IDS or Hague

ReputationRep:

Not the point, Cranbrook commented he'd rather have Corbyn losing on 30% (tory government) than Kendall winning on 40% (labour government).

What would be the point in wanting a Labour government if that Labour government wouldn't actually make things any better?

ReputationRep:

It still seems entirely sensible, an actual opposition makes more impact than a faux-tory government.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.