Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renewhj)
    Why's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They generally don't have stuff coming out on the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polarmaple)
    They generally don't have stuff coming out on the weekend.
    Hahaha that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonwithnoname)
    That's fantastic, congrats! Notts is a decent enough uni, what college have you applied to in Durham? what's attractive about UEA? It's never somewhere I've looked at with much thought tbh...
    Cheers! Um, the one with the castle? It was more of a random application than anything else, Durham is so far away I doubt I'd go there. UEA is very good for my course and quite near home, lots of research/work experience opportunities there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    Ok - I have a question in regards to interviews/offers. I'm not quite sure how offers are given out. So you have your interview(s), and say they went really well. Will you be given an offer based on this? there are so many limited spaces I'm afraid that even if I succeed at interview I still won't get a place. Does this make sense? Word has spread that I have an interview, and whilst people are congratulating me, I can't help but think in the end most people are rejected. So I don't want everyone to have high expectations if I do end up with a rejection post-interview.

Or does it work that once you get an interview, if you do really well you'll get an offer? Or is the chance of getting an offer still slim even after a great performance? This is long-winded but I need to clarify. Thanks!
    I only know about medicine - the decision to offer after interview looks like it is based on an algorithm which includes your number of A* at GCSE, %age A*, context of GCSE, BMAT & interview performances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Init much better. Hence we have to interview so many people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought its because there are too many empty room at Cambridge and they are trying to fill it up for a merry christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Fair enough

I disagree. The MAT tests your ability to answer set questions, in a set style, on one day of the year. The interview, that tests your ability to answer set questions, in a different set style, on one day of the year.

The point is, there is no perfect way of gauging a student's ability. The way that Cambridge works, however, is the supervision system. And this works much like an interview, so they would like to see applicants thrive in that type of atmosphere. Whereas Oxford, I presume, would much prefer to see students thrive in a test. They're intrinsically different.
    Um Oxford interviews as well... after the MAT.

ReputationRep:
    Two things:
    A) well done to all who have got interviews so far
    B) can the silly Oxford vs Cambridge argument type thing please stop? Both of them are outstanding universities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em_lrob)
    I've applied to Univ too and heard nothing back yet, and I haven't seen/heard of anyone who has. The wait is killing me!
    Me too its painful! What course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connieiscrazy)
    I received an email from Balliol yesterday (the college I applied to) saying that I'd been re-allocated to St Hugh's and that they would be sending me an invite in the next few days
    okay thank you. I hope you hear back soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    I don't know how the system works but I suspect that they interview everybody and take notes. They then get round in a little huddle and decide, based on your entire files, which third to accept/which two-thirds to reject. That's all you need to know and it is out of your control.

You will have to get used to the idea that people from home don't always understand what is going on. You didn't tell them that you had an offer and it's really not your priority to dwell on it.

Your job is to get to the interview(s) in an optimal mental condition, enjoy your stay and then go home. It won't help to worry about whether you get an offer or not.
    Based on your entire file yes, but some elements are much more heavily weighted than others and of course subjects vary. It's probably fair to say that in a subject where there's a reasonable cull of numbers before interview that a really good interview will almost certainly get you a place. But often it seems to be those who think they've screwed up at interview who actually do well, and those who think they've done supremely.... really haven't. Oxford interviews carry more weight than at Cambridge - no pressure !

ReputationRep:
    Hello,people

I am an applicant to law at Brasenose Oxford. I received invitation to interview and wanted to register at TSR to get to know all the other shorlisted applicants. I have been lurking for the past few month on the thread tho, so I know a bit about TSR.

Hello again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyp08)
    Me too its painful! What course have you applied for?
    History and politics, so I think its gunna be quite a while until I hear from them what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BritishBean)
    Cheers! Um, the one with the castle? It was more of a random application than anything else, Durham is so far away I doubt I'd go there. UEA is very good for my course and quite near home, lots of research/work experience opportunities there too.
    University College - that's the one where they filmed Harry Potter I think that's fair enough - though going to uni far away from home can have upsides to do with independence and personal growth, which are always worth bearing in mind

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received an interview offer fron Univ?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for History and Economics! Hate this wait but I think we should hear next week, interviews start the 9th of December according to the website so it can't be too long, good luck though!
    History and politics, so I think its gunna be quite a while until I hear from them what abut you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millieellen)
    I've applied for History and Economics! Hate this wait but I think we should hear next week, interviews start the 9th of December according to the website so it can't be too long, good luck though!
    How did you find the alternate question on the HAT? I heard it was really bad, so I feel so sorry for you! I hope we hear back next week, because everyone getting their interviews already is beyond frustrating Good luck for everything too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    I don't know how the system works but I suspect that they interview everybody and take notes. They then get round in a little huddle and decide, based on your entire files, which third to accept/which two-thirds to reject. That's all you need to know and it is out of your control.

You will have to get used to the idea that people from home don't always understand what is going on. You didn't tell them that you had an offer and it's really not your priority to dwell on it.

Your job is to get to the interview(s) in an optimal mental condition, enjoy your stay and then go home. It won't help to worry about whether you get an offer or not.
    Right, thanks, very true.

ReputationRep:
    History and politics, so I think its gunna be quite a while until I hear from them what about you?
    What makes you think that? Ive applied for history and just want to hear back now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    If you do really well, you will probably get an offer unless your admission test scores are abysmal. Then, it is not as likely.

But the thing is, how would you know you would do really well? The tutors are very experienced interviewer, they will definitely find problems that will make you think deeply. Even if you solved the problem, you don't know if other solved the problem and if their approach was more clever and beautiful than yours. In which case, solving the problems in a brute force / uncreative way could possibly not do you much good if the problem are solved by many using better methods. You wouldn't be able to know how good your approach were unless you were extremely gifted in your field and intuitively sees the correct approach.
    Well, I didn't take a test for my course so I know the decision will be heavily based on my interview performance.
    And, I wouldn't know! I doubt I'll have a clue if I've done well or not. I was taking a theoretical approach. I'm keen to understand what qualifies for an offer, which I won't know unless I receive one. Thanks for your insight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzaion)
    Yes definitely! You're the first person for Corpus I've met on this thread :'

Thank you so much Good luck to you!
    also got an interview for classics II at corpus christi

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.