The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
Anyone else terrified and incensed by the things this government is planning?
Scrapping the Human Rights Act, - Neutral on this. Would prefer they simply amended it but can't say i'm too bothered.
ending the hunting ban, - This is a free vote which not all Tories will vote for, ergo it won't pass
further cuts to the welfare budget, - Wary of this since IDS is still around
probable support for TTIP, - Good.
brutal policies against Mediterranean migrants - Full support
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone else terrified and incensed by the things this government is planning?
Scrapping the Human Rights Act - Should have done it long ago.
Ending the hunting ban - Against
Further cuts to the welfare budget - A radical overhaul is required with cuts needing to go further than planned.
Probable support for TTIP - Terrible, unfair, unbalanced treaty.
Brutal policies against Mediterranean migrants - About time too but I am disappointed Britain is using naval ships to bring the migrants to Europe and not return them to North Africa.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone else terrified and incensed by the things this government is planning? Scrapping the Human Rights Act, ending the hunting ban, further cuts to the welfare budget, probable support for TTIP, brutal policies against Mediterranean migrants... the list goes on.
And a cheeky binge on iPhones and IPads before their expenses ran out. Plus their 11% pay rise.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Scrapping the Human Rights Act should surely need a referendum. I understand their whole mandate thing but this is some major constitutional change, just because the SNP have a mandate in Scotland, it doesn't mean they can just go indie.

Ending the hunting ban hopefully wont pass.

Further cuts to the welfare budget is highly unjust in my opinion, they've created an economy based on low pay supplemented by benefits and now they're going to cut welfare which will put some of the most vulnerable people at risk of poverty, if work paid then people wouldn't be looking to benefits to supplement their wages and therefore the welfare bill would naturally decrease.

As for TTIP I completely agree with Farage.

I could never agree with the plans against the migrants and I would like to quote Jon Snow here: "They were born on the wrong side of the wall, that doesn't make them monsters".
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Scrapping the Human Rights Act should surely need a referendum. I understand their whole mandate thing but this is some major constitutional change, just because the SNP have a mandate in Scotland, it doesn't mean they can just go indie.

Ending the hunting ban hopefully wont pass.

Further cuts to the welfare budget is highly unjust in my opinion, they've created an economy based on low pay supplemented by benefits and now they're going to cut welfare which will put some of the most vulnerable people at risk of poverty, if work paid then people wouldn't be looking to benefits to supplement their wages and therefore the welfare bill would naturally decrease.

As for TTIP I completely agree with Farage.

I could never agree with the plans against the migrants and I would like to quote Jon Snow here: "They were born on the wrong side of the wall, that doesn't make them monsters".
There's nothing in our constitution that says referenda are required. The Scots could not declare independence because they still want the pound, the queen, free movement, free trade ect.. with 50%+ of the vote they could do an Ireland if they were prepared to lose part of the border and the Shetlands but they'd get none of the above. Ending the human rights act on the other hand does not have the same impact.

I would add that my preferred outcome if they do this would be to put the commencement date after the next election (say to the electorate 'this is what we've put into law, vote us in and it becomes law') but they do have a mandate since it's in the manifesto. I'd add that my comments also apply to the EU.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Scrapping the Human Rights Act should surely need a referendum.
I don't believe that this is the case, also we're not leaving the ECtHR rather scrapping the British one in it's current form. As far as the constitution goes, it isn't in the constitution to keep it.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32732129

Amusing.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm glad farage came back now. its killing the party more then him leaving would.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really hope the Tories reintroduce hunting. I consider the ban one of the worst things labour did. Shameful attack on civil liberties.
adam9317
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
I really hope the Tories reintroduce hunting. I consider the ban one of the worst things labour did. Shameful attack on civil liberties.
Hear, Hear. Im sure many people living in the countryside would agree with you!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
And you sir are the personification of a red tory.

If I want to start abusing any animal I am stopped as animals have rights. Why should I be allowef to hunt foxes just because its 'traditional' its morally repugnant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
And you sir are the personification of a red tory.

If I want to start abusing any animal I am stopped as animals have rights. Why should I be allowef to hunt foxes just because its 'traditional' its morally repugnant

Posted from TSR Mobile
We kill cows and sheep for food... why not foxes... Animals have less rights than humans anyway - well, practically no rights.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Very. I did think O'Flynn would take should Farage not stand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
We kill cows and sheep for food... why not foxes... Animals have less rights than humans anyway - well, practically no rights.
but they arent killed to eat and hunting isnt humane. also animals should have greater rights.
adam9317
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
but they arent killed to eat and hunting isnt humane. also animals should have greater rights.
Greater rights!! Are you serious?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
What do they contribute to humanity - apart from being pleasurable to hunt and eat...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by adam9317)
Greater rights!! Are you serious?
absolutely. the killing of animals should also be regulated and they should have greater protection from harm then currently. I'd give animals the same rights as a 3 year old child basically. only those grown to slaughter for meat would have fewer but we are close to test-tube meat so that wont be a massive issue for too long.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
What do they contribute to humanity - apart from being pleasurable to hunt and eat...
so anyone/thing that doesn't contribute has no rights?
you do know about the eco system and how we are all interconnected right???
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
so anyone/thing that doesn't contribute has no rights?
you do know about the eco system and how we are all interconnected right???
What rights should they have? And will I get a letter from a sheep when it's suing me...

I'm not saying we should kill of everything (then we'd have nothing left to eat and kill) but doesn't mean we can't do it.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I agree with the first bit. I don't like to see anything suffer pain - be it a snail or a polar bear and personally find fox hunting a bit cruel. Having said that, I certainly don't think animals should have 'rights' or that nonsense. That's just leftist drivel for "let's find something else I can do to make my conscience feel better for being a bit of a ....".
I think it just comes down to human decency - I wouldn't kill any animal (except to put it out of its misery which I've done occasionally and don't like doing) but at the same time, if people don't have those feelings - and I'm not saying everyone should! - then I say let them hunt if that's what they want to do. Even better would be to chase Green supporters through the countryside on horseback and have the dogs chase them. But I suspect even altering the human rights act won't allow that, so we'll just have to settle for foxes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads