The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
mikecoxon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
If we came 4th AND won the Europa League, who gets Champions League? The team in 5th or the Europa League finalist?
Neither - they'd just re-jig which teams enter which qualifying round (so for example the Maltese and Estonian champions might move to the second round, Austrian and Croatian champions move to play-off round, Greek and Czech champions move to group stage). It's happened quite often in the past depending on whether or not the previous CL winner has qualified through their domestic league or not
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we came 4th AND won the Europa League, who gets Champions League? The team in 5th or the Europa League finalist?
Neither will get it, even if the winner of the EL gets 4th place, it changes nothing and they qualify for CL playoffs unless they finish 3rd or above in which they will go straight into the group stages.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mikecoxon)
Neither - they'd just re-jig which teams enter which qualifying round (so for example the Maltese and Estonian champions might move to the second round, Austrian and Croatian champions move to play-off round, Greek and Czech champions move to group stage). It's happened quite often in the past depending on whether or not the previous CL winner has qualified through their domestic league or not
So when Liverpool returned to the CL in 06 despite finishing 5th, at the expense of Everton, this wouldn't happen again either?

Scratch that actually, Yahoo answered for me, UEFA brought in a rule after 05 that if a CL winner came outside top 4, they would replace the team in 4th. I'm assuming this still holds, so should Chelsea win the CL, they will get the 4th English qualifying spot, not City as is. Then if you add in, say United winning the EL, you would have no City in the CL but 5 other teams and two who havent finished in top 4.
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't think we need to worry about that. Let's just try to do one.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Mirin maths skills, certainly worth the 96k a year
Considering we hit target every week, I reckon I should get double to be honest.

Btw, you on PS4 tonight?
Bodeans
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Considering we hit target every week
Well done, I'm not sure about your English skills though.

We'll struggle on the weekend, but I'm more confident than I've been in the past with Rashford and Martial playing quite direct. 2-1 to us (yes I'll see the irony when we lose now).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nickini
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So when Liverpool returned to the CL in 06 despite finishing 5th, at the expense of Everton, this wouldn't happen again either?

Scratch that actually, Yahoo answered for me, UEFA brought in a rule after 05 that if a CL winner came outside top 4, they would replace the team in 4th. I'm assuming this still holds, so should Chelsea win the CL, they will get the 4th English qualifying spot, not City as is. Then if you add in, say United winning the EL, you would have no City in the CL but 5 other teams and two who havent finished in top 4.
They updated the rule last season (?) so that if Chelsea for example were to win the CL there would be five English teams in the CL next season. Fourth place only loses out now if Liverpool e.g. (assuming they don't finish top 4) were to win the Europa as well.
Rk2k14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Watch him play Fellaini in midfield and Valencia on the right now.
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Rk2k14)
What's wrong with that?
SirAlexFerguson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dirtybit)
What's wrong with that?
I think Varela has deserved a starting slot now, its up to Valencia / Darmian to take their spot back by performing off the bench or in training
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
(Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
I think Varela has deserved a starting slot now, its up to Valencia / Darmian to take their spot back by performing off the bench or in training
Valencia is a top RB when fit. Wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world.
Rk2k14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's wrong with that?
They're both dead.
qasidb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think Herrera will start the next game but LVG will look for any excuse to drop him for Fellaini for the game after. If he misplaces one pass or looks at LVG in a funny way then he'll be benched into oblivion.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
They're both dead.
They looked alive to me last time I checked
Rk2k14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hersheys073
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's what he says to Memphis when he told him that he plays 'Soccer' for a living.
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Wot, 17 points?

SirAlexFerguson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Valencia is a top RB when fit. Wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world.
He's decent, there's no doubt about it, but he has to displace Varela not Varela having to displace Valencia
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
He's decent, there's no doubt about it, but he has to displace Varela not Varela having to displace Valencia
Thats a bit like saying since Romero was playing very well for us we must start him and let DDG displace him...

If you have a better player then youre obviously not going to let an inexperienced teenager take his place completely will you?
Bodeans
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He was being sarcastic ffs.

RB for the vast majority of team set-ups isn't too important, it's only if you play with inverted wingers or a narrow diamond formation where they have to possess real attacking quality. Most of the time they're just needed for the overlap, and to put a decent ball into the box.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (16)
16.67%
Labour (40)
41.67%
Liberal Democrats (16)
16.67%
Green Party (5)
5.21%
Brexit Party (3)
3.13%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (2)
2.08%
Plaid Cymru (2)
2.08%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)