Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Sure there is. Every single place except Swansea.
    That's what my brother (who lives in Swansea) has been saying today...

There's even a facebook group of "Yay it's snowing, J/k i live in Swansea"

I would have rather had no snow today though, then i could have gone to the gym and my lectures instead of everything being shut...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    I'm with you on this one.
    I can't possibly understand why adults can get excited about snow. I'm 19 at university and I know plenty of people who are excited about it...
    Yes it looks pretty. Yes it's nice if it snows around Christmas and you're in the warm looking out of it. But let's face it, it's frozen rain. Cold rain! Snow isn't terrible but ice is horrible. I used to slip up all the time on the way to school. You get chavs throwing snowballs at you. Traffic is awful and it's dangerous to drive. I get two buses to uni and I'm not looking forward to it.

I feel like such a grinch saying all of this
    Really though, snow is all well and good when you can stay inside, preferably by a fire, and look out at it, and make the decision to go and build a snowman for like 20 minutes. But if you're forced to go out in it and travel in it, it's not that nice at all. And surely by the time you're 16-20, the novelty has worn off...
    I've only had proper snow that settles and is deep enough to make a snowman out of about 3 or 4 times in my whole life. The novelty hasn't even begun to wear off :grin:.

I love snow, but that's probably because I don't need to drive anywhere and my uni is only ten minutes walk away .

ReputationRep:
    The thread is stickied once the snow fall slows down/stops for most of England? lol.....

I hear it will be over by the weekend, then everybody can expect some ice, and Monday there's no chance of snow falling in England.
    Hopefully we can get another storm this winter, mid December preferably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)
    I've only had proper snow that settles and is deep enough to make a snowman out of about 3 or 4 times in my whole life. The novelty hasn't even begun to wear off :grin:.

I love snow, but that's probably because I don't need to drive anywhere and my uni is only ten minutes walk away .
    Try being 17 and this being the first time you've ever had enough snow to build a proper snowman... :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    wtf is there to like about snow!? it dangerous, slows your day down (having to walk/drive cautiously) and feels like crap the second you walk out of your house.

ReputationRep:
    It was fun last night when I wasn't looking forward to practical work at uni today..now I miss my boyfriend and my parents are driving me crazy!

Someone melt the snow now please (:

The snow is awful. It disrupts everything and then the inevitable ice comes to replace it and then it's chaos for days.

ReputationRep:
      its forecasted to rain heavily in the early hours of sunday (london), i sense theres gonna be even worse wide-spread ice come monday, anybody agree?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
      Try being 17 and this being the first time you've ever had enough snow to build a proper snowman... :sadnod:
      Aww :console:, at least you've got some snow now :grin:. My flatmate is from Southern China where it's too hot to snow; this is the first time she's seen it as well .

Yes I always feel happy when I see people seeing snow for the first time in real life it truly is beautiful

ReputationRep:
        What I don't get is why TFL doesn't just hop on the phone to say, the Norwegian transport people and be like, "Yo, how do you keep your public transport system running when there's snow everywhere?" They've been doing fine with snowy conditions since forever. Why TFL are so inept at dealing with these conditions. I don't mind the snow but it does get frustrating when all of London seemingly shuts down because of some snow. Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically, but surely getting advice from a country who deal with worse weather than this is better than pissing about and cancelling all trains, flights etc?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SAK.A)
        Ok I've heard it's could snow in my area and I am really dreading it. And the reasons why is as follows:
        1.I have to walk to school, in my suit shoes which have no grip whats so ever so I'm going to either slip and fall and crack my head open or ice skate to school.
        2.There is a chance school will get called off. I have exams coming up and not going school is not the best idea.
        3.After the initial first footprints in the snow when the snow turns into slush and ice it's disgusting and dangerous.
        4.I have to shovel the snow out of my driveway shoveling snow is not easy trust me(I remember last year).
        5.Sure it is fun for like the first few hours but after that it's just downhill.
        I bet most of you are thinking :eek:
        You'd better get used to it because climate changed has f%£%ed up the gulf stream, making parts of the northern hemisphere colder while most of the rest of the world gets warmer.
        Winters in the UK are going to get even colder.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Doubledog)
        You'd better get used to it because climate changed has f%£%ed up the gulf stream, making parts of the northern hemisphere colder while most of the rest of the world gets warmer.
        Winters in the UK are going to get even colder.
        So we're going to be getting this nearly every year?

(Original post by perrytheplatypus)
          So we're going to be getting this nearly every year?
          yes every year :mad:

ReputationRep:
          I think there is snow EVERYWHERE except here in Stevenage, rather disappointment.

ReputationRep:
          I usually love snow, though right now, the snow isn't the nice kind of snow where you can have snowball fights, it's more the 'slip on your backside' icy snow. :sad:

On the bright side, I brought a hat the other day which should be a bit more insulating.

(Original post by samanthaaaa)
            I usually love snow, though right now, the snow isn't the nice kind of snow where you can have snowball fights, it's more the 'slip on your backside' icy snow. :sad:

On the bright side, I brought a hat the other day which should be a bit more insulating.
            yeah read that post did u see my usb cup thingy lol

ReputationRep:
            Ahhh no it's melting here! The sun's come out and there's blue sky all around! All the snow's starting to fall off the branches :argh::cry:

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by thecdon)
            Ahhh no it's melting here! The sun's come out and there's blue sky all around! All the snow's starting to fall off the branches :argh::cry:
            where r u? its dark, cloudy and still at sub-zero temperatures here in SE london lol

ReputationRep:
            Ive just had a snow ball fight in my lunch hour. Snow is awesome!

At the weekend on sunday i drove from Shropshire to Aberystwyth and back to Staffordshire with the car reading an ourside temp of between -6 and -13 using snow tyres. Slowly. Getting three hours sleep before work on monday.
            Yeasterday i found that having left the car half a mile from my house ive dropped/placed/lost the key somewhere and after two hours of looking for it hitch hiked into work and started ringing garages and lock smiths. I juve had a phone call to say its sorted. tha cost me around hundred pounds.
            This weekend the biking trip in Bristol i had planned is called off becuase it doesnt seem sensable and im going to go biking on my own locally instead. ive spend £50 on new biking cloths/gloves this year.

So yes, it does effect things, but you only need get grumpy if you let it.

Daniel

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.