The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flint_09
hope higher than for u
a question, why can't the first shell hold more than two electrons?

Cause it has only 1 orbital?
Reply 561
what did u gyz put for da one about the smoke traveling through the xylem in the wood??? :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Let's hope bronchus is right then xD

For that water thing - I'm pretty sure the question was, "How does water move across the cell surface membrane?"
Surely symplast and vacuolar are describing what the water does once it's passed through the plasma membrane, not describing how water actually enters the cell in the first place?
I put that water on its own is small enough to pass through the bilayer via osmosis, but if there are solutes / larger molecules with it, then channel proteins may have to facilitate the diffusion.?

this is what I thought :biggrin: Vacuolar and symplast surely relate to the movement of water through the cell and not the membrane :smile:
Original post by adilh301
yeah i thought that at first aswell but if you have the OCR text book on page 73 that pretty much looks like their question and the answer theyd answer.

Same book, page 22/23.

Confusion.

Edit: 26/27, sorry.
Reply 564

hope u get higher than that lol
a question, why can't the first shell hold more than two electrons?

because they are ****ed up lol!
Reply 566
Original post by Rassam
Cause it has only 1 orbital?

2nsquared formula
the 1st shell is 2*1(squared) = 2 thats the formula answer
but yeah explanation is it only has 1 subshell which is the 1s orbital which is also only capable of containing 2 electrons but dont think theyd ask for it in that much detail. im worried about those mole questions with 10 tonnes of a substance >.<.
Reply 567
Original post by jaez121
because they are ****ed up lol!

spot on!
Reply 568
Original post by msimon
what did u gyz put for da one about the smoke travel through the wood??

God that was such a weird question. I had no idea what to put. I think something about it being able to travel through the xylem uninterrupted because it was a long tube or something. I think I've got that one wrong.
Original post by giraffegiraffe
I think i put something like that too .. and for the one before about histamine making the muscle contract or something, that was to do with cell receptor molecules / target cells etc right? the questions were a bit strange, hard to know what they wanted from us.

i put symplast etc for that one too.. quite a few people did i think but a lot of people but about cell membrane bilayer channel proteins etc! maybe they'll except both because the question could be either? (or lets hope so...:smile:)
oh gosh most of the questions were way too vague! or those "suggest..." questions .... where was all the "meaty" stuff on the heart, lungs, translocation, haemoglobin, lymph, cardiac cycle ... etc that we spent soo long revising!!? i think the "suggest" questions and the ambiguity on this paper made it harder than a lot of the past papers we've done

yeah man I think the histamine question was asking about receptor mediated endocytosis... taking in the histamine into the cell and causing the smooth muscle to contract :smile:
Reply 570
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Same book, page 22/23.

Confusion.

Edit: 26/27, sorry.

26/27 refers to osmosis the question asked the routes water molecules take to cross the cell surface membrane
quote page 73:
How does water move between cells?
When plant cells are touching each other,water molecules can pass frome one cell to another.......etc etc.
What ROUTE can water take between cells?
the apoplast pathway
the symplast pathway
the vacuolar pathway

info on p 26/27 would be more relevant if osmosis was used in the question or if osmosis was explained as a route somewhere on p26/27.
Reply 571
2nsquared formula
the 1st shell is 2*1(squared) = 2 thats the formula answer
but yeah explanation is it only has 1 subshell which is the 1s orbital which is also only capable of containing 2 electrons but dont think theyd ask for it in that much detail. im worried about those mole questions with 10 tonnes of a substance >.<.

yup
Reply 572
Original post by Tabers
God that was such a weird question. I had no idea what to put. I think something about it being able to travel through the xylem uninterrupted because it was a long tube or something. I think I've got that one wrong.

lol... i put sumthing abt pits and since it said steam.. i said through the xylem by capillary action
Reply 573
lets clear this up... water enters the plasma membrane by diffusing straight throught the phospholipid bilayer by osmosis and through channel proteins by facillitated diffusion. no answers involved apoplast symplast etc
26/27 refers to osmosis the question asked the routes water molecules take to cross the cell surface membrane
quote page 73:

info on p 26/27 would be more relevant if osmosis was used in the question or if osmosis was explained as a route somewhere on p26/27.

I can't remember the question exactly, but the symplast and vacuolar pathways don't describe how water enters cells through the cell surface membrane initially. That just describes the route water takes once it has already passed through the bilayer.
Say for the adaptations of neutrophils question, I mentioned 3 things. But if 2 are correct and 1 wrong, will I lose marks?

Also, bronchus or bronchioles?

Accuracy of experiment? I said length of time in solution needs to be the same.
Reply 576
Original post by msimon
lol... i put sumthing abt pits and since it said steam.. i said through the xylem by capillary action

i put xylem is lignified thus waterproofed/cell contents die(dont knw if that bits necessary) so the steam can travel through the xylem vessel without being absorbed by the vessel as the steam would be water molecules? and i didnt think abt capillary action steams lighter than air so doesn't it always go up? >.<
Reply 577

spot on!

lol! i m gona say tht to the examiner :biggrin:
Reply 578
what did u gyz put for da one for 5 marks???
Reply 579
Original post by kimmey
lets clear this up... water enters the plasma membrane by diffusing straight throught the phospholipid bilayer by osmosis and through channel proteins by facillitated diffusion. no answers involved apoplast symplast etc

ru sure? looking at the threads alot of people put symplast and vacuolar pathways, but not apoplast which is another pathway because it lets water pass between cells.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending